Where to enter license for 1Password 7?

Options
heyitsedward
heyitsedward
Community Member
edited February 2019 in Mac

I had a trial version which expired and got a purchased license from my boss.

My question is, where do I enter the license? Can't find it anywhere in the app or website.

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @heyitsedward! You didn't say what version of 1Password your license is for, nor what version you downloaded or what version of macOS it's running on. We'd need that to give 100% specific and accurate directions, but in general, you can click the 1Password menu > License. Can you tell us what version(s) you have, please?

• heyitsedward
    heyitsedward
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry, my bad.

The license is for 1Password 7, I'm running 1Password 7.2.4 (downloaded from your website, not the App Store) and my MacOS version is 10.14.3.

These are the options I see when I click on the menu:

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@heyitsedward - thanks for the screenshot. If you don't even see the option to add your license, then that means you're signed in with a 1password.com account. There are two ways to pay for 1Password 7 -- with a standalone license, or with a 1password.com subscription/membership. If you have the latter, you won't see the option to add a license because it's not necessary. This is what you would see if you needed to add a license:

Did you perhaps create a 1password.com membership inadvertently when you first ran 1Password 7 for Mac? You would've gotten a Secret Key and been asked to save an Emergency Kit. You can also verify this by clicking Preferences > Vaults and letting me know what you see there: how many vaults are there, and what are their names?

• heyitsedward
    heyitsedward
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I did create an account. I do have a Secret Key and an Emergency Kit.

What's the best procedure from here?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@heyitsedward - if you created a 1password.com account, then your copy of 1Password 7 for Mac (or any other version of 1Password you install on any other device: Windows PC, Android or iOS device) does not require a license. Just sign in with your 1password.com account credentials, and you're all done. Billing for the account after the 30-day free trial will be dependent upon what type of account you signed up for, where you did it (directly through us vs the Mac App Store, etc), and whether you chose to pay monthly or annually, but briefly, an Individual 1password.com account is $2.99/mo when paid annually (so, $35.88/yr), and a 1Password Families account is $4.99/mo when paid annually ($59.88/yr). If that's NOT what you intended to do, and you'd just like to use 1Password as a standalone app without the 1password.com account and with the license your boss bought you, then you'd need to create at least one standalone vault, transfer all your data back from the 1password.com account to the standalone vault, remove the 1password.com account, and make sure you've removed any payment method you might have entered into the account. Let us know if you have any questions about either approach. :)

• heyitsedward
    heyitsedward
    Community Member
    Options

Well, I would like to keep using the app as I am now (on my MacBook and iPhone) - I do not want to purchase a membership, I want to use the license.

Are you saying I can only use the license with a standalone app, therefore it will not be synced between my MacBook and iPhone?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@heyitsedward

Are you saying I can only use the license with a standalone app, therefore it will not be synced between my MacBook and iPhone?

No. There are currently two ways to use 1Password:

With a 1Password account:

• You sign up for an account at the main 1Password  sign-up page.
    • Your subscription includes the 1Password apps across all platforms, with all updates and upgrades for as long as your account is active.
    • Once you sign in to your account in 1Password on a new device, all of your data is instantly available - no need to set up third-party sync.

As a standalone product:

• You purchase licenses for each platform separately.
    • These licenses include all in-version updates, but a major version upgrade (such as 1Password 7) may require a paid upgrade.
    • You create local 1Password vaults, and if you like, choose how to sync your data. You can set up sync using a third party service (like Dropbox or iCloud.) If you do not set up sync, your data will remain only on your device.

1Password accounts also include access to your data via a web browser, and per-item backups so you always have a safe copy of your data off of your devices, and can roll back to a previous version of an item if a change is accidentally made.

If you want to use a standalone license, you would need to follow these instructions, then apply your license file from your boss by double-clicking or using the 1Password > License method in the menubar.

• heyitsedward
    heyitsedward
    Community Member
    Options

I was following the instructions, but I found out that I can not move my items between vaults.

I suppose this is because my account is frozen. I guess I have to purchase the subscription to be able to do that?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@heyitsedward - no, that shouldn't be necessary. When your account enters Frozen status, you can't add, edit or delete any data, and you can't use the browser extension(s). But you're always able to export or move your data, because we don't hold your data hostage for payment. Your data is yours. Did you try copying the items instead of moving them? The move command includes deleting data from the source vault (your 1password.com account), which is something you can't do. But copying data should certainly accomplish the same thing. Let me know if that works for you.

• heyitsedward
    heyitsedward
    Community Member
    Options

Okay, that's great to hear! For some reason, the options to copy are all greyed out as you can see in this image.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@heyitsedward - make sure you've switched to the 1password.com vault; if you're in the All Vaults view, it won't work. Use the vault menu at the top left of the main 1Password window to select the 1password.com vault, then try again.

• heyitsedward
    heyitsedward
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars - Yes, I was in my 'Private' vault, which is in my 'eFabrica' 1password.com account

• heyitsedward
    heyitsedward
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars Hello?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@heyitsedward - you need to use the "Copy" command, not the "Move" command. "Move" involves copying from one vault to another, but it also involves moving any moved items to the trash of the original vault, which you can't do with a frozen account because you can't add, delete or edit. Try using "Copy" instead of "Move." If you've already tried that, then - because this is a Business account - are you certain you have read/write/export/delete permissions on this data (or you DID have, prior to it becoming frozen)?

• heyitsedward
    heyitsedward
    Community Member
    Options

As you can see in the screenshot, I'm trying to copy the items and the options is greyed out.

And I am not sure if I have those permissions set, how do I check that please?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@heyitsedward - at this point, to get a better idea of what's going on with your specific setup, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

How to send a diagnostics report from your Mac

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#AKI-64794-599]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. I'll take a look and let you know what I find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: AKI-64794-599

• heyitsedward
    heyitsedward
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars - Alright, I just sent the diagnostics report, thank you.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2019
    Options

:) :+1:

ref: apple-3247

• alaudares
    alaudares
    Community Member
    edited March 2019
    Options

@Lars
    I am having the same issue, but actually in a PC.
    I just would like to copy my online vault into the local pc vault.
    Can you please send me the diagnostics report for PC?
    Thank you.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @alaudares! Welcome to the forum! :)

Please create your own diagnostics report from your PC:
    How to send your diagnostic report from your PC

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the **Subject line **of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#XHJ-49148-249]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. We'll take a look and let you know what we find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @alaudares. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: #XHJ-49148-249

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@alaudares: In order to save yourself some time and effort, you probably just need to copy your data from one vault to the other:

https://support.1password.com/move-copy-items/

Just keep in mind that local vaults do not support all of the features of 1Password membership accounts. If you have trouble doing something, be sure to let us know specifically what steps you're taking and what you're getting stuck on so we can help unstick you. :)

• Remote_Pizza
    Remote_Pizza
    Community Member
    edited March 2020
    Options

Hi! I'm having similar issues on a work laptop. I have 1Password 7 on a mac and the 'license' option in the 1Password 7 menu does not show (see image). I've downloaded 1Password 7 from the 1Password website (not the App store) and have never used it with my personal account on this machine. My work provides me with a licence, but now I find myself unable to enter the licence into the software. How should I proceed?

• Ben
    Options

@Remote_Pizza

It appear you are signed into a 1Password membership account, then. You can find instructions on migrating back to standalone usage here:

How to move your data to a standalone vault to use 1Password without an account

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• Remote_Pizza
    Remote_Pizza
    Community Member
    edited March 2020
    Options

Thanks for your reply! However, I don't want any of my personal 1Password data to be copied to my work laptop. Why do I need to move anything in order to sign out of 1password on this laptop?

• Remote_Pizza
    Remote_Pizza
    Community Member
    Options

To contextualise that a bit: my items are currently in the vault I want them to be in and I don't want to move them to another vault. I have never used 1Password with my personal account on this machine.

@Ben when I skip to step 3 in the link you've posted (i.e. without moving anything to another vault) and I sign out of 1Password on this machine, the 1Password menu remains the same:

• @Remote_Pizza

Where did you install 1Password from?

• Remote_Pizza
    Remote_Pizza
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_tommy, I downloaded 1Password from https://1password.com/downloads/mac/

• ag_tommy
    edited March 2020
    Options

@Remote_Pizza

Well that throws my initial hypothesis out the window. :( Sorry, I now see you mentioned that above, my apologies.

• @Remote_Pizza

I'm sorry, I tried replicating this behavior over the course of several different attempts. Which, I failed to do so. One way to check the setup is for you to create a diagnostics report. If you would like us to dig deeper, can send us a report? Use the following link to generate that report.

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics

The diagnostic report doesn't include private information like your logins, Master Password, or Secret Key:
    About 1Password diagnostics reports https://support.1password.com/diagnostics-privacy/
    Please send that report to support+forum@1Password.com Be sure to include the following information with your submission.

Your user name here in the forum. Remote_Pizza
    A link to this topic. https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/551360/#Comment_551360

• Please do not post your diagnostic report to the forum. This is for your privacy and security.
      The report will be in zip format, please send the entire file.
  • Remote_Pizza
    Remote_Pizza
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy Thanks for your efforts. I will generate a diagnostics report and send it over. Thanks in advance for having a look :)

This discussion has been closed.