unsupported OPX message after 1P upgrade

lumarel
lumarel
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hi!

I had this problem already some versions ago of 7.4, but couldn't reproduce it up to now...

It looks like if 1P7 gets upgraded, while the browser is running, after the upgrade the browser extension doesn't work anymore until the browser gets restartet. (Restarting 1P doesn't help)
Everything what is visible in the debug log is:
17852 18.601 WARN opw_app::browsers::opx:87 > unsupported OPX message

If I look more closely, there is no connection build up to the browser extension :unamused:

Maybe you have better luck and can reproduce it without upgrading! :chuffed:

Thanks ~lumarel

1Password Version: 7.4.755
Extension Version: 4.7.6.1
Browser for testing: Firefox 74.0
OS Version: Windows 10 1909 18363.720
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• I've seen one other case of this @lumarel, but haven't been able to reproduce it. That said, I have a theory here. I see you're using the beta of the 1Password extension. The beta has a fix for Mac only and no other changes so it didn't seem the likely culprit, but I've found I'm not able to install it myself so I wonder if maybe your oddball error and my inability to load it at all might be related. Given it does nothing of use on Windows anyway, would you be able to swap to the stable extension and let me know if you still see this issue? Yes, you may have to wait for another update, but we will definitely have at least one more that needs to go out just as soon as we track down some nagging issues so hopefully it's not too long before another is out the door and you can give it a go. In the meantime, I'll continue to try to get that extension installed so I can test things out myself and keep an eye out on your end too in case it pops up again. :+1:

• lumarel
    lumarel
    Community Member

Hey @bundtkate
    Yes this is also my experience, it's not really easy to reproduce...
    I will have to look if I have the time to test some scenarios where 1P7 has to update itself, maybe I can track this down :unamused:
    But first, I replaced the Beta's of the extension with the stable one, maybe it's not possible to reproduce anyway now.

I always get the Beta version from the release notes here, looks like it's hidden anywhere else up to now :chuffed:
    BTW if you have to sideload-install a add-on in Firefox now, you will have to use the Enterprise Policies, as all other ways are getting removed right now :+1: (for internal builds supposedly)

But I will have an eye on it :+1: :chuffed:

• Actually, turns out the sideloading thing was the reason I was having trouble, @lumarel. I was giving it a go in Chrome myself, but they apparently have made some changes on that front too so you have to go through the web store, which means I needed a super secret (okay, probably only a little bit secret) direct link. Thankfully, our extensions team was on top of this change and already prepared, even though I was a bit behind the times. Regardless, I've got that beta myself now so just as soon as we've got another internal update out the door, I'll make sure to pop open Chrome and take a look. :+1:

• lumarel
    lumarel
    Community Member

Always good to have the direct links by hand :chuffed:
    Thank you! :+1:

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of bundtkate, you are welcome @lumarel! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• lumarel
    lumarel
    Community Member

:+1:
    @ag_ana you too :chuffed:
    I hope you and the whole team stays healthy in this times!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

We will do our best! Stay safe too @lumarel :)

• lumarel
    lumarel
    Community Member

Small followup for this topic :chuffed:
    Didn't have any problems with the upgrades, since the rollback to the stable Browser Extension :+1:

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@lumarel:

Thank you for the update. I am glad to hear this :) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.