How do I back up (and restore) my database in 1Password 7?

Guffee
Guffee
Community Member

The support web page--the only one I found--at this link https://support.1password.com/backups/ (which mentions only "1Password" and not "1Password 7") is dated January 6, 2020, and it shows the following simple steps to create a backup (and also, where the backup files are kept, presumably for restoral):

Open 1Password and choose File > Backup.

To find where the backup files are kept, choose 1Password > Preferences > Backups, & click Show Files.

Backups/Restorals were done this way in 1Password 6, I know, but "Backup" does not appear under the "File" tab, or anywhere else as far as I can determine, in 1Password 7.

1Password Version: 7.4.3
Extension Version: n/a
OS Version: macOS 10.15.3 (Catalina)
Sync Type: Resilio (formerly BitTorrent)

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Guffee!

Are you perhaps using a 1Password Membership? If you are, backups are taken automatically for you, so you will not see the Backups tab there, no matter what version of the 1Password app you are using.

To restore data with a Membership, all you need to do is add your 1Password account to the 1Password app.

• Guffee
    Guffee
    Community Member

Hi -
    I answered an hour or two ago but I don't see that reply shown anywhere here, so I'm answering again, partly because my first reply wasn't very good.
    I'm not sure whether or not I have a Membership. I think I may have a Family Membership, because I pay $59.85/year.

Whatever kind of account I have, I want to be able to back up and restore my database.

Thanx

• ag_tommy
    edited March 2020

@Guffee

As Ana mentioned the backups for accounts are taken inside your account. Backup functionality doesn't exist in the client app.

If you need anything restored you can restore individual items - https://support.1password.com/item-history/
    If you perhaps needed something account wide, we would be able to assist with that.

• Guffee
    Guffee
    Community Member

Ana indicated I could back up and restore my entire database if I had a Membership and "added my 1Password account to the 1Password app," here: https://support.1password.com/add-account/. That sounds good to me, but I don't know whether or not I have what she termed a "Membership." AgileBits has various plans, and I don't understand them much; whatever plan (or Membership, or whatever) I have works very well, and I never learned much about alternative plans. So, what I need to know is: Do I have a Membership that would enable me to "add my 1Password account to the 1Password app"?

Also, I am not interested in restoring individual items. Thanks, anyway.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Guffee:

Do you have a 1Password subscription where you pay for 1Password monthly or annually? If you do, you have a Membership.

• Guffee
    Guffee
    Community Member

Thank you, Ana. It's good to hear from you again. As I wrote you above, I pay $59.85 a year, so I do have a Membership.
    I tried to "add your 1Password account to the 1Password app" at https://support.1password.com/add-account/, as you advised, but it didn't change anything. It sure makes me nervous being unable to able to back up and restore my database.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Guffee:

Backups happen automatically through your 1Password Membership, you just don't have to do that manually because your 1Password account does it regularly for you.

• Guffee
    Guffee
    Community Member

It's good to hear from you again :)
    What bothers me, very much, is the inability to completely restore my database. (Ordinarily, I could export all data occasionally to use as a backup from which I could restore. But the Export function has not been developed yet {which is odd}.) Having regular backups is great! But if they only provide for the restoral of individual "items," and not the restoral of an entire database, then it doesn't do me much good.
    Thanks.

• @Guffee

if they only provide for the restoral of individual "items,"

This option is directly available to you and web facing.

... restoral of an entire database, then it doesn't do me much good.

We can assist with that if needed. Your account backups are on the server, so you would need assistance from us for an entire account restore.

tl;dr Both scenarios can be accomplished. ;)

• Guffee
    Guffee
    Community Member

OK, thanks Tommy

• @Guffee

You're most welcome. If you have further questions, please feel free to send them our way. :)

This discussion has been closed.