1Password X and 'never display in browser' setting

Dear team,

I need to hide some of my login credentials not to be displayed in drop-downs and auto-fills, for that I've enabled the 'never display in browser' setting through 1Password app.

However, the auto-fill through 1Password X seems to disregard my setting and simply shows all the logins associated with the website.

Why do we have such a discrepancy here?
In my opinion, this conflict simply kills the intent of having this functionality.

Please feedback.

Thanks,
Harish

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @harish_ravikumar!

1Password X ignores that setting since 1Password X does not communicate with the desktop app, it's an independent extension. That's a setting for the 1Password companion browser extension. Perhaps one day we will add this setting to 1Password X too.

In the meantime, can you please let us know what you are trying to achieve? If you don't want to see an item, would you not delete that item, or move it to an "Archive" vault, which you can then hide in 1Password X?

• harish_ravikumar
    harish_ravikumar
    Community Member

Hello @ag_ana Many thanks for your feedback.

My wish is to prevent some credit cards and few logins associated with a website from being shown in the website forms.
    And the reason is, I need to keep these items and logins for my personal tracking purposes.

For example, I have a single Apple-ID which I use it for Music, Arcade, TV+, iCloud subscriptions.
    I created multiple logins for these items to monitor my subscriptions using tags.
    So, if I try to login to my apple account, all these items show-up and thus is my ask.

And I have some similar use cases for my credit cards.

Hope I clarified a little.

Thanks,
    Harish

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@harish_ravikumar – That's a really good question. While 1Password X won't respect the never display in browser setting in the 1Password desktop app, here's what I do in your situation:

I've got a vault named "Old Items" that contains items I'm not quite ready to trash, but I don't necessarily want them suggested to fill. I then excluded the "Old Items" vault from All Vaults, that way it doesn't appear in Suggestions or search on 1Password X (unless I click the Search Everywhere button). I'd suggest going that route for now. As much as I'd love to find a way for 1Password X to respect that setting in an appropriate way, we're still working out what that'll look like.

I hope this helps, but let me know if you have any other questions!

• harish_ravikumar
    harish_ravikumar
    Community Member

Hello @kaitlyn Many thanks for your feedback.

To be honest, managing multiple vaults is not user friendly for me (Not easy to move items between the vaults compared to tagging and search is another matter). I use a tag called 'Obsolete' to tag the items which I deem to delete in the future.

In my case, the items that are to be moved to another vault, as you suggested, are not supposed to be deleted, but to be kept indefinitely (for tracking and managing expiration and renewals), with the exception of not showing up in the login form filling.

I understand that my ask is not very straightforward to achieve with the current setup. I'll wait until we have the possibility of excluding items through 1Password X addon.

Thanks for reading.
    Harish

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@harish_ravikumar:

Understood. Sorry to hear that our workaround won't work for you.

This discussion has been closed.