Windows Hello button missing after wake, and significantly slower?

Windows 10 Enterprise 1909, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i5, Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga.

My laptop just updated to 7.4.753 after I have been running the previous version for months. I USED to use fingerprint (Windows Hello) to unlock my vault and I was able to keep doing this even if I put the laptop to sleep and wake again. The only time I needed to enter my Master Password is after a reboot. I sleep a LOT to save battery when moving between offices during the working day.

Is there any way that I can get that behaviour now in 7.4 ? As soon as I put the laptop to sleep I have to enter the master password again. This is a real annoyance as I have auto lock set to 10mins and a very long password.

I also noticed that 7.4.753 is dramatically slower, to pop up from clicking on the icon in the system tray. This is a significant change from the previous version which popped up almost immediately. This is the same if I have closed all applications, and only have 1Password running.

Any ideas appreciated?

1Password Version: 7.4.753
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Windows 10 Enterprise 1909
Sync Type: 1Password Service

Comments

• I tested this on a few different PCs myself, @MrRederick, and I'm able to unlock with Hello following sleep. Are you able to unlock your PC with Hello after sleeping? This sounds to me like Windows is telling 1Password that Hello is unavailable, even though it should be.

On the slowness front, is this also only happening after sleep or all the time? There may be some slowness when you are bringing up 1Password immediately after it has autolocked or after waking from sleep. Since the lock screen and the main UI are now separate processes, the main UI process must fully quit before the lock process can start. That can cause delays when you're attempting to unlock shortly after locking. A good test would be to lock 1Password, wait a few seconds to make absolutely sure everything has shut down, then click the icon in your system tray. Is it snappy then?

• MrRederick
    MrRederick
    Community Member

Hi there, thanks for getting back to me. I've only got one machine with Windows Hello (fingerprint), but I have three machines with 1Password installed. It seems the Windows Hello laptop is the only one that is slower than the others, but it only started with the new version. I may just live with that.

The fingerprint is odd - yes, the machine always lets me log on to Windows using the fingerprint, but 1Password doesn't offer the option. It works when I do a test on a short amount of time:
    a) Unlock PC using fingerprint
    b) Try 1 Password, no Hello, unlock normally. Use passwords
    c) Lock 1Password
    d) Sleep PC from start - power - sleep option
    e) Wait 5 minutes
    f) Wake PC, unlock using fingerprint
    g) 1Password works with fingerprint

So perhaps this only happens when the machine has been asleep a few hours, and it goes into Hibernate.

Any recent changes in that area, or new policies for corporates to push? (one of my vaults is a corporate vault).

Thanks!

• bundtkate
    edited March 2020

The only Hello-specific change was to show it automatically when it's both enabled in 1Password and available from Windows rather than having you need to invoke it, @MrRederick. That said, there's a lot that has changed around unlocking generally and I'm aware of at least one seemingly impossible to reproduce issue related to sleep. It's one of those annoying sorts where the person who reported it sees the same darned thing every time, but none of us seem to be able to summon whatever demon they've found. Short version? There are a lot of moving parts around that process and it's tough to narrow it down without further testing.

Now, with that said, I think there's a really good first test in there – let's see what happens when Hello isn't invoked automatically. I'd like you to temporarily tweak a setting for me, if you could. This test will probably take a bit because it requires encountering the circumstances this trigger this again so if you don't want to press Enter to summon Hello during your workday, wait until you know you'll be able to leave your PC for a time to make this change. When you're ready:

1. Choose 1Password > Settings, then click Advanced.
    2. Toggle off the option to "Show Windows Hello prompt automatically".

Wait and see if this happens again. I know, you can't sit there and let your PC go into hibernate while you're working so take whatever time you need to feel comfortable you've encountered the proper circumstances again. Let me know if the Hello button shows when you wake up the PC and let me know if the slowness improves. Could be they're unrelated, but you never know so best to keep an eye on both. I look forward to your findings. :chuffed:

• MrRederick
    MrRederick
    Community Member

Thank you very much for the reply, I have changed the setting and will give it a go and report back. Most likely won't be until late tomorrow given the special times we are all living through.

thanks

• Oh, no worries at all, @MrRederick. I think all of us deserve a little slack at the moment so take whatever time you need. I'm lucky in that I'm used to working from home so that's one disruption I'm privileged to avoid, but there's little that's not in some degree of turmoil these days. I think it's important in times like these that we do as Bill and Ted once said and be excellent to each other. Stay safe and whenever you're able to report back, I'll be here. :chuffed:

• MrRederick
    MrRederick
    Community Member

Thank you for your understanding. This morning I resumed the laptop, logged onto the machine with fingerprint, but 1Password is not showing the Windows Hello icon, only the password entry and the icon for secure desktop password entry. I am guessing this might be down to my laptop's policy settings, and I don't have another machine with Windows Hello to try.

It only seems to happen when I've left the machine overnight. I tend to Hibernate in the evening, and wake in the morning, and it is in the morning when 1Password doesn't offer Hello.

Hope that is helpful, and thank you for your advice, love the Bill and Ted comment :blush:

• I'm not certain if this would be a perfect test, @MrRederick, but technically any PC can use Hello. It's just that some are going to be limited to the PIN option (like my desktop). Last I set it up, Windows was a bit unclear about whether or not Hello was available on machines without fingerprint readers or compatible cameras and would claim it wasn't, but I could still set it up with a PIN. You are taking an extra bit of hardware out of the equation here, hence the inkling it may not be the best test ever, but I still think setting up Hello with a PIN on another PC and check if you see the same thing has the potential to be enlightening. For example, if you still see this with PIN Hello on a personal machine, we can rule out policy on the laptop and know it's worth digging deeper. Give it a go if you're up for it and let me know what you find. And, of course, if you need help setting up the PIN, let me know. It's been a bit since I've done it, but my memory isn't so horrible I can't remind myself with a quick do-over. :chuffed:

• MrRederick
    MrRederick
    Community Member

Thanks for the idea. I found my ancient thinkpad X61, which is a bit slow (Core2Duo CPU) but is running Windows 10, and has a fingerprint reader. Took a while to update latest windows updates, and I have set up Hello with PIN and fingerprint. Then I installed 1Password latest (7.4.758) and confirmed I can unlock with Fingerprint and PIN. Now to leave it overnight!

• MrRederick
    MrRederick
    Community Member

I can confirm that PIN unlock after an overnight hibernate worked. So there is something about my corporate managed machine, and policies they may have added.

The machine is very slow so I can't comment on the speed of unlock, but I have re-read the 7.4 release notes and understand why the icons seem to vanish and reappear, and it all makes sense.

Thank you for your help!

• It's no trouble at all, @MrRederick, although I'm sorry the issue isn't something I can fix. Very odd that a policy would impact 1Password in that way. I'm curious what the goal behind it might be. Alas, I do sometimes have to accept there are mysteries I won't be able to solve. I hope you're otherwise doing well in these troubled times and, of course, if I can do anything else to help, I'll be here. :chuffed:

• MrRederick
    MrRederick
    Community Member

Things get stranger and stranger. On the corporate machine, I powered up this morning, unlocked with fingerprint, and was able to unlock 1Password with Hello (fingerprint) for the first time since 7.4. However then I went for lunch, locked the screen for about 40 mins, and when I unlocked (using fingerprint) the 1Password screen was not showing the Hello button.

I will test again tomorrow, but maybe Windows update did something. I will blame Microsoft :blush:

My personal laptop today, having been powered off since Sunday, is now showing the same behaviour. I wonder if Microsoft has changed some Windows Hello features ?

Thanks, I'm adapting to home working. Keep well yourself!

• Hi @MrRederick,

Could you email us your 1Password diagnostics report. We think we may know why this may be happening but the report will confirm for us.

Please use this guide to generate the report and email it to us at support+windows@agilebits.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

• MrRederick
    MrRederick
    Community Member

Have just sent it, thank you!

• Thanks, we got the report and will reply to it soon.

ref: DUP-15724-732

This discussion has been closed.