Unable to install 1Password 7 on Windows 10 PC as it won;t recognise my Master password.

Hi. I have recently moved to a families subscription of 1password. I already had 1password 6 running on a MacBook but needed to spread it across multiple devices for members of the family. I have managed to get the app installed on my MacBook and I can log in online no problem. However, I am trying to install the app on a new Windows 10 PC. However, when I run the .exe installer it asks for my 1password master password which I have typed in multiple times but it is never recognised. As such, I can't install it. When I go to control panel it looks like it is listed as having installed but every time I try to run it won't recognise my master password. I've tried uninstalling from control panel and reinstalling but that didn't work. Please advise.

1Password Version: 7.4.758
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 v1903
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @drjmcmillan!

Did you perhaps install 1Password on this Windows 10 machine in the past? I wonder if you have an old vault on your system from back then, and that is why your recent Families password is not recognized.

• Robert_Tremblay
    Robert_Tremblay
    Community Member

I have the same problem, on window 10 , it doesn't recognize my secret key or my main password. Fact is I have reboot my computer trying to get rid of a malware. I have tried severals times to be sure not having made a typing mistake. Any clue? it work on my android phone and on my Ipad. Not my pc

• rdbishop999
    rdbishop999
    Community Member

I have the same issue on Windows 10. When I run the install program, it asks for my Master Password and nothing that I enter will work.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2020

@rdbishop999: Have you changed the Master Password for your account recently? Please confirm.

==

@Robert_Tremblay: if you are setting up 1Password 7 for the first time, then your issue might be different. Please try to do the following:

1) Sign in to your account on 1Password.com in your browser.
    2) Click your name in the top right, select Get the Apps, and then click the blue button under step two that says "Already have the app? Add your account directly." Allow this link to open 1Password for Windows.
    3) That will fill all of your sign-in credentials in 1Password 7 for Windows, except your Master Password. Enter your Master Password, click Sign In.

Let us know how it goes. Thank you!

==

++
    Greg

• rdbishop999
    rdbishop999
    Community Member

That signs me into 1Password version 4.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@rdbishop999:

I see that my colleague Greg asked you this question:

Have you changed the Master Password for your account recently? Please confirm.

Can you please answer it so we can help you? Thank you!

• rdbishop999
    rdbishop999
    Community Member

No, I have not changed the Master Password. I can use my Master Password to sign on to my account in my web browser but I cannot use it to sign into the app on my PC.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@rdbishop999:

Thank you for the confirmation. If you are using the old 1Password 4, please remember that it does not support 1Password.com accounts, and so you will have a different vault there, with a different Master Password by the looks of it.

Is there a reason why you are using 1Password 4, instead of 1Password 7?

• rdbishop999
    rdbishop999
    Community Member

I use 1Password 4 because it is easier to use and it does not cost me anything. I paid for a Family account last June and have not been able to figure it out yet. I will continue to use 1Password4 and probably cancel the annual plan. It has been a total waste of my money.

• If 1Password Families isn't working for you, @rdbishop999, we have a whole support team dedicated to helping you get to know your new 1Password membership. Change is tough, but 1Password Families really does have many benefits I can no longer imagine living without. It's proven all the more useful recently as my folks and I have found we need to share a lot more sensitive data when we're no longer able to meet in person. Sometimes, someone to guide you along the way can make all the difference. If you're at all interested in giving it a try, let me know and I'd be happy to get you in touch with the team.

If 1Password 4 is working for you, though, and you're not interested in switching, I'd encourage you to reach out to our billing team via email. We all occasionally have big plans to try something new that don't quite work out for us and we shouldn't be punished for that ambition. There may be something they can do to help out. :chuffed:

• rdbishop999
    rdbishop999
    Community Member

If I cannot launch 1Password7 on my PC what am I to do? No one has come up with a solution for me so at this point, I don't have much choice but to continue using 1Password4.

• Well, you're already on the right track there, @rdbishop999. You're here talking to us. We're here to help, but we're not looking over your shoulder so sometimes we need to ask some questions and have you try some things so we can get to the bottom of a problem. For example, you said that when you install 1Password 7, it asks for your Master Password, but what you expect to work isn't. We also know you've been using 1Password 4. These two facts reveal some possible culprits. Namely, it says to me that you might have some old data in 1Password 7 leading it to want a different Master Password than you expect.

Given this, I'd suggest trying this as a next step:

Press Ctrl + Shift + . If 1Password 7 is running, this will bring it up. When asked for your Master Password try the one you use to unlock 1Password 4. Does this work? What about the one used to sign in on 1Password.com?

If neither of those works, let's take a step back and see if starting from the beginning with 1Password 7 might be an easier option. Do you have all of your data in 1Password 4? What about when you sign in on 1Password.com and click "All Vaults" – do you see your data there too? Finally, it sounds like you've been using 1Password 4 exclusively – is that correct?

I know, that's a lot of questions, but the answers will help me understand what you've got where right now so that I can make sure I suggest the simplest option forward that's going to keep your data safe and cover everything you might need to do to get set up with 1Password 7 and your family account moving forward. The process of transitioning and setting up is often the hardest part. It can be easy if you follow the right path, but if you fall off that happy path you sometimes need a hand. That's what we do and we do sometimes end up interrogating you a bit at the start, but that's to make sure that we get it right so we can get you over that hurdle as quickly as possible and back to not having to think about using 1Password. :chuffed:

• rdbishop999
    rdbishop999
    Community Member

I have never imported my vaults into 1Password7. I have never changed my Master Password and I can use it to sign on with my web browser. I have never changed my password that I use for 1Password4. I have tried both passwords when I try to install 1Password7 on my Windows 10 PC and neither will work. I have uninstalled 1Password4 and tried to install 1Password7 with no luck. Without being able to start 1Password7 on my PC I have not been able to find a way to migrate my passwords thus i have continued to use 1Password4. I consider myself to be an expert PC user but this has me stumped.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@rdbishop999:

I would like to ask you to generate a diagnostics report from your PC and email it to us to support+forum@agilebits.com, so we can take a closer look at why this is happening to you.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• Robert_Tremblay
    Robert_Tremblay
    Community Member

Thx Greg, it finally worked!

• On Greg's behalf, you are most welcome, @Robert_Tremblay! Glad to hear you're up and running. Enjoy and stay safe!

• drjmcmillan
    drjmcmillan
    Community Member

Sorry for the delay in replying. Coronavirus has me busy. There was an option to delete 1Password and reinstall from the lock page. I did this and it worked. Sorry, I can't remember the steps now. Stay well.

• Not to worry, @drjmcmillan, I think we're all owed a little leeway in these troubled times. What matters is you're up and running so I'm happy to hear you sorted it out. If that Dr. in your handle happens to mean you're an MD, it is you that absolutely needs to stay well! You're the one taking care of the rest of us and putting yourself in harm's way so we can stay safe. Take care of yourself and if whatever we can do to help, we're here. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.