I've lost 1Password

Options

My 1Password for windows stopped syncing with my Iphone and Ipad so eventually I printed out your article "if you're having trouble syncing with Dropbox" and went through the steps of disabling sync, deleting the folder path in the dropbox app, renaming the data folder and resetting the app on my Iphone and Ipad. I then restarted all my devices, PC, Iphone and Ipad.

I moved on to your article "How to sync Ipassword with Dropbox". I opened 1Password and come across a screen and clicked on "sync using dropbox". Your article says "follow the instructions on screen" . The screen shows part of my C: drive and says "Select Folder". Which folder??

I have gone from having 1Password on my PC, Iphone and Ipad with an updated database on my PC but not syncing to my IIphone and Ipad to having no Ipassword on any machine at all.

Help please.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @Andrew42 sorry to hear you have some trouble. Do I read this correctly that you deleted folder from Dropbox? This is where your encrypted vault is stored. Please follow Dropbox's help on how to restore deleted folder.

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. Yes I deleted the folder in Dropbox because I understood your article to instruct me to do so. "Open Dropbox app and delete the folder at the path you noted".

Following your comment "SergeyTheAgile:
    I found my 1Password opvault when I opened my account in Dropbox com. Somehow I managed to sync it back with my Dropbox on my PC.

I am back up running, sort of, but have the following questions:

1. My Iphone syncs 1Password only if I force a manual sync. Why might that be?

2. My Ipad seems to sync 1P normally

3. On my windows pc the path to my 1Password vault is:C:\Users\Alwyn\Dropbox\Apps\1Password\1Password 2.opvault. Drlling down into 1Password2.opvault I find a folder called 1Password2.opvault.opvault. What is this and should it be there?

4. Finally, the Vault I have in dropbox predates all the changes I made to mainly financial passwords yesterday so I have lost access to my banks and other financial institutions unless I can retrieve the changes I made or until I have contacted each outfit and had them reset my password.

5. Understanding why 1Password stopped creating backups is one issue.

6. Getting my Iphone to sync changes automatically is another.

7. Finding a version of my vault that includes the changes I made yesterday afternoon, would be ideal.

Any and all help, welcome.

• Sounds like you disabled and re-enabled sync at some point along the way, @Andrew42 and that created what I (not so) fondly call an OPVault-inception. I'd wager you've got more (or at least different) data in that 1Password2.opvault.opvault. The reason this happens in that 1Password for Windows can't enable sync with an existing vault in the same way other apps can so when you select an existing vault folder when setting up sync, it will create a new vault within that folder. Anyway, we can deal with the whys or wherefores later. For now, try this:

1. Open and unlock 1Password.
    2. Choose 1Password > Open vault on this PC.
    3. Navigate to the 1Password2.opvault.opvault and select it, then click select folder.
    4. Enter your vault password where prompted.

Now, this is going to open this as a new vault, so chance are you'll have a mess of dupes if you've still got the original vault open. Go ahead and silently curse me if you need to, but we'll get rid of them, I'm promise. For now, press Ctrl + D and select that new vault you just added. Better data? Got the new stuff? Lemme know!

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member
    Options

@bundkate, I think I blew it away. I do have still have s file/folder called 1password2.opvault.opvault.backup in my backup folder. If you want me to use that, I need to be told how to do it. However I have recovered the main sites I lost becasue MikeT, for another reason, introduced to Brave and it saves my passwords.

However, since my debacle yesterday I now have both my Ipad and my Iphone where in 1P in Settings the sync icon is constantly turning even though everything seems to be synced. Do you have another bright idea why that might be and how I correct it?

• I think it's best to take a step back a moment, @andrew42, before we go and blow something up again. What device has good data right now? Everything there (or as close as possible) regardless of where it's pointed for sync. We just want good data in the app and we can worry about sync and the like after. Let me know and we'll take things from there.

Restoring from a backup is an option, but particularly given it sounds like you have a full set of good data somewhere, it's probably not the best one. What we need to do is look at the app with the good data and either find out where it's syncing or set up a brand new OPVault using that data and get rid of the rest. After we've done that, we can tackle any issues on iOS. Or, more accurately, I can cry for help from a teammate who is more practiced with iOS. But, like my parents tell me every time I look at the news, let's take it one step at time. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.