Ipassword Not Backing UP

Options

Either I misunderstand the process or my 1P is not creating a backup each time I change something in my vault. The latest backup is time stamped at 08:48 this morning. Since then I have changed the passwords in at least ten records, but no backup zip file has been created or it is not going where it used to, (C:\Users\Alwyn\AppData\Local\1password\backups\1Password 2.opvault.backup).
Having lost a series of financial passwords last night for lack of a backup, I'm a little gun shy at the moment.

1Password Version: 7.4.758 Beta
Extension Version: 7.7.5.90
OS Version: Win 10
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• A new backup is created the first time you make a change each day, @Andrew42. So you made your first change of the day at 0848, most likely, and a backup was created. Tomorrow, another backup would be created the first time you make a change that would include all subsequent changes you've made today since 0848. Keep in mind, too, that automatic backups are meant less for data loss prevention (you've got your sync services for that) and moreso for rolling back errors you've made or retrieving an old password you didn't realize you still needed. You likely won't want to wholesale restore a backup because it's going to roll back changes you wanted to keep in addition to those you wanted to undo. Instead, you'll open that backup as a new, separate vault and move over the version of the item you want to your active vault, then remove the extra vault. Backups are designed with this use-case in mind, while sync is designed for redundancy and data loss protection.

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member
    Options

Ah! So the backup is once a day, not every time there is a change. I thought I had read an 1Password article that indicated a backup was made ever time a change was made. Thanks for clearing that up.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Andrew42:

If you have a 1Password Membership, everything is backed up automatically all the time through the Item History feature, but this is not available for local vaults ;)

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. I have a local vault. I made a bunch of changes yesterday but 1P did not make a backup until two minutes ago and yet I have been on 1P both during the night and also at 08:15 this morning. I fail to understand the timing and regret the lack of an ability to force a backup manually.

• It is just once a day, @Andrew42. As I said, your sync service (just like 1Password.com) is what serves as your data loss protection. It updates every time you make a change so if something happens and your local data is deleted, then you can recover using your OPVault. If you need to roll back changes you made, that's where backups are useful. It helps to consider practical uses, I think. Consider the following:

1. You made a change to the wrong item. This is terrible as you've now saved over good data with bad. You don't want to roll back fully to a prior version of your vault because you'll lose other changes you want to keep, so you open that backup as a new vault, move over the proper version of that one item, delete your erroneous update and you're all set.
    2. Your computer crashed completely. Everything 1Password is lost and you need to recreate your data from scratch. In this case, you want the latest and greatest version of everything which is waiting for you on Dropbox.

In scenario 1, you're never going to want a backup with every change you've made. You actually want to get rid of the latest change. The once a day timer ensures that all of these changes are ultimately captured without filling your hard drive with endless backups only ever-so-slightly different from the one before. It covers most folks' backup needs without eating hard drive space like a pile of Electron apps eat memory. In scenario 2, your data on Dropbox (or the data on your other devices) provide a simpler path to recovery than restoring a local backup and will update every time you make a change.

This discussion has been closed.