Update to 7.4.758 broken; had to revert to 7.2

Options

Most recent update broke basically everything; reinstalled, but could neither scan QR code from my phone (nothing happened with code on-screen nor in image file) and installer incorrectly failed to authorize. This was after hell on earth trying to get 1password to stop trying to update itself with failure dialogs over and over. Eventually I found the 7.2 installer left over from a previous manual update and used that, and turned OFF auto-updates, and 7.2 recognized my QR just fine.

All of this was after I completely turned off Windows Defender and Malwarebytes and everything else running. Still no joy, had to revert.

I don't think it was 7.4 necessarily that broke, but this last 7.4.x sure did. Please consider making prior 7.4 versions available for download? I'd have been megascrewed if that old download hadn't still be sitting around

1Password Version: 7.4.758
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro (1903)
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• durindana
    durindana
    Community Member
    Options

Same thing I saw repeatedly after 1password updated itself to latest version. Had to revert to 7.2. See my thread in this forum on this topic

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @durindana! Welcome to the forum!

After replying to you in another discussion, I then noticed you opened this additional one on the forum, so I have merged your posts in one single place so we avoid replying to you in multiple places.

All of this was after I completely turned off Windows Defender and Malwarebytes and everything else running. Still no joy, had to revert.

After turning off Windows Defender and Malwarebytes, have you rebooted your computer to make sure that any file that was locked by them was free again? It is my understanding that this is an important step to follow.

Please consider making prior 7.4 versions available for download?

All of our previous versions are available to download from our updates server.

• durindana
    durindana
    Community Member
    Options

Sure, understood. I read that other thread after creating mine and realized that was the same error msg I had been seeing

I did indeed reboot after turning off MWB and Defender, I had read elsewhere that some version of MWB was causing problems and that that software rolls out in staggered fashion, so I first updated it (to 4.1.0.56), turned it off, then rebooted. When I did, 1Password again attempted to update itself but encountered the same error, popping up probably every three seconds or so but stopping after ~10 attempts. I managed to kill the 1Password process and uninstall.

I re-downloaded the 7.4.758 installer and ran it as admin, but could not log in as described above, not from my QR code on the Camera app (Surface Book) nor from saving a photo of the QR code.

Just in case my uninstall hadn't worked (it kept failing at first because the process kept re-launching itself), I looked around for any other bits to delete and noticed the 7.2.x installer still sitting around, gave it a shot, worked fine. Turned MWB and Defender back on, good to go.

Super useful that y'all have download links to previous versions; I did look at the patch notes earlier but admittedly didn't notice that. Will keep in mind, and may even try to update to the version just prior to 758. Thanks so much

• Bay_1passuser
    Bay_1passuser
    Community Member
    edited March 2020
    Options

@ag_ana I am having a similar problem: 7.4.758 will not install for me. Are there step by step instructions for a workaround?
    This looks like a piece of the puzzle but it would be helpful to have the full procedure:

"After turning off Windows Defender and Malwarebytes, have you rebooted your computer to make sure that any file that was locked by them was free again? It is my understanding that this is an important step to follow."

(thanks @durindana for your posts)

• The solution to this is a bit different depending on what's preventing that update, @Bay_1passuser, but the most common cause is an issue that Malwarebytes fixed in their latest update. If you check for Malwarebytes updates, reboot your PC, then try updating 1Password again. If that's what's giving you trouble, you should be all set.

@durindana, I'd strongly recommend trying to reinstall the latest now. The error you were seeing about the install failing repeating the way it was is update-specific, so while it might show once when installing the latest directly if it fails, 1Password won't retry with automatic updates disabled avoiding the regular spam unless you specifically tell it to retry. We also did update the QR scanner, but that was from one that wasn't working at all to one that has been outside of one very specific instance where the QR code itself was at fault. It also sounds like you only managed to install the latest as admin, which itself could break scanning. 1Password isn't designed to run elevated and installing as admin can break things horribly like preventing an unelevated process it's using from talking to another or with 1Password itself.

If a direct install (no need to uninstall 7.2) doesn't work and shows you the same install error, that's a different story and something we'd have to take a closer look at, but right now there are a few too many moving parts and different things you've tried for me to feel comfortable I can peg down a specific issue. Absolutely feel free to wait until you have a moment to dedicate, but 7.2 is ancient history at this point and I'd hate to see you stuck there and the only way to overcome it is to work methodically and figure out what's giving you trouble.

This discussion has been closed.