Cannot Import SplashID Records

at249129
at249129
Community Member

Hello,

New user trying import my SplashID v8.2 records to 1Password. I read about the Converter Suite but it the ReadMe states requires < 8.0.4.899. Please advise on how I should proceed forward. I tried the IMPORT function on the VID but it ignore the password so imported encrypted records.

Regards,
Dan

1Password Version: 7.4.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.15.3
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Cannot Import From SplashID

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @at249129! Welcome to the forum!

You don't need the converter suite to import SplashID data, the feature is built into 1Password already. However, as per our documentation page on importing data from SplashID, you need to use SplashID 8.0.4.899 or earlier. I am not a SplashID expert, but is it possible for you to revert to an earlier version?

• at249129
    at249129
    Community Member

Looks like I can still download SplashID V7. Will try that.

• at249129
    at249129
    Community Member

SpashID V7 doesn't run in MacOS Catalina. I guess I will keep using SplashID until 1Password Importer works with SplashID V8. Thanks.

• @at249129

Unless SplashID adds an unencrypted export to the newer versions of their products that won't be possible. SplashID v8.0.4.899 should work? I would recommend contacting SplashID to see if they can provide you with that version, or if they have any recommendations on how to export unencrypted data.

Ben

• at249129
    at249129
    Community Member

I received an email from MrC with "FYI: http://blog.splashid.com/august-2016-updates/" to download older version. I downloaded v8.0.4.899 but my Mac told me it was Malware so trashed it. Did someone hack MrC?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited March 2020

@at249129 ,

I'd posted a link, but that ended up resolving to the latest version, so I removed it.

No, I'm not hacked. :-)

I do have the older version, but I won't share it since you'd have no way of knowing / confirming it is legitimate. I use it for my converter development.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

Btw - the link I had posted was a direct link from SplashID, to a SplashID-signed dmg file. I downloaded the file and tested it against two online A/V sites (virustotal.com and virscan.org). These sites test the uploaded file against many A/V scanners. None found any issues, so I don't think you have anything to worry about.

The reports of these runs are:

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/9460a4e296e193cd325a390b4f441ac8f46d1772c596894d60c58a3b0fcb90e9/detection

https://r.virscan.org/language/en/report/f1c9f581f6437776e2cc27e868fabd95

• at249129
    at249129
    Community Member

Here's what I get when I try to run that version of SplashID.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

The version crashes for me too (on Mojave). The download is also unfortunately the most recent version of SplashID, not the older 8.0.4.899 (this is why I deleted my link). It's unfortunate that SplashID is being so misleading and cagey here.

That dialog is not confirming it is malware, rather that the app crashes. Nearly 50 scanners indicate it is not malware.

Regardless, as mentioned above, versions of SplashID beyond the mentioned v8.0.4.899 only export their data in an encrypted format, so there's nothing 1Password can do to import that data.

• at249129
    at249129
    Community Member

Will 1Passowrd develop an importer for v8.2. I heard back from SplashID and they said any previous versions will not run on MacOS after using v8.2. SplashID is more an more problems. You might get in influx of users migrating over.

• at249129
    at249129
    Community Member

I will do copy/pasting then if guess if no importer can be created.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@at249129

I don't / can't speak for the 1Password folks, but I'd doubt you'll see this. It would require that they reverse engineer the encryption scheme, and that is far from trivial. So copy / paste might be the best you'll get.

It's a bit pitiful that SplashID has resorted to such lock-in tactics.

This discussion has been closed.