To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

upgrading from 1password 6 standalone to 1password membership

ruftytufty
ruftytufty
Community Member

I'm in the process of upgrading from 6 to 7, and trying to determine the best path. I've been using Dropbox to sync between devices. Have read the "how to migrate" documentation, watched the upgrade video, etc., and some things still aren't 100% clear.

With a membership, where are vaults stored by default? On your servers, or can I store vaults externally (e.g. Dropbox)?

If on your servers, are the apps storing a copy of the data locally (so that the info is accessible even if I can't connect to your servers)?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 10.14.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hi @ruftytufty

With a membership, where are vaults stored by default? On your servers, or can I store vaults externally (e.g. Dropbox)?

Membership vaults can only live on the 1Password membership service (e.g. our servers).

If on your servers, are the apps storing a copy of the data locally (so that the info is accessible even if I can't connect to your servers)?

Yes. All data is encrypted and stored locally in a cache before being synced to 1Password.com. That local cache is always in play, so even if you (or we) are offline, you can still view and edit your data. The limitation of course is that you can't sync until you reconnect.

Ben

• Brit
    Brit
    Community Member

Hi there, I am at the same stage as my predecessor, however my trouble is right now that syncing has not worked for quite a while (approx 2 years). I am using 1Password across 2 Macs and iOS. The 1Password linked to my laptop uses current database.
    Buying a membership: how can you make sure which base will be stored on your servers? And how does that work?
    Because of having the issue as described above, I am afraid that not the right database might get synced. So, can you help and tell me the steps needed to move from a single license to a membership?
    I have been using 1 Password since July 14,2014.
    Let me know if you need to have more information. Many Thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Brit:

Buying a membership: how can you make sure which base will be stored on your servers? And how does that work?

If your laptop is the device with the current data, you can migrate data from that device to make sure you have the correct one. Here are the instructions for you:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

• Brit
    Brit
    Community Member

Thanks. I just noticed that the last time the agilekeychain on my DB drive synced (from laptop) was in Sept. 2019 😳🤭

Before I proceed: will the migration be depended on the agilekeychain data, or on the data stored in the app which is 1Password 6 (what I have been using on my laptop)?
    Any help is much appreciated as any loss of data would be a month's cry for me (at the very least) - thanks again!

• Brit
    Brit
    Community Member

In addition to the above, shall I delete the agilekeychain on Dropbox prior to to moving my data? Thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Brit:

Before I proceed: will the migration be depended on the agilekeychain data, or on the data stored in the app which is 1Password 6 (what I have been using on my laptop)?

The migration will depend on the machine you perform the migration on: if you perform the migration inside 1Password 6, there data that will be migrated will be the one inside the 1Password 6 app.

Any help is much appreciated as any loss of data would be a month's cry for me (at the very least) - thanks again!

I certainly understand. Just make sure you do this from the device that has all the current data, so you will only migrate the most recent database.

In addition to the above, shall I delete the agilekeychain on Dropbox prior to to moving my data? Thanks!

I would not delete anything until everything has been migrated successfully. You can remove any previous 1Password data afterwards :)

• Brit
    Brit
    Community Member

Hey ag_ana: many thanks for your assistance and help. So, the migration seems to have worked just fine. And I am very pleased with how this worked!! Yay! :)

One last question: is the agilekeychain still any good? I understand that now all my data is stored on your server? So I could delete it?
    Thanks again and wishing you an awesome day!

• @Brit

I'd recommend double checking that none of your devices have a vault called Primary, and once you've confirmed they do not, you can remove the Agile Keychain file(s). :)

Ben

• Brit
    Brit
    Community Member

Hi @Ben, many thanks. Will do!

Brit :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.