not using multiple devices, but trying to set up 1password on new mac (will decommission old mac)

buckeyejb
buckeyejb
Community Member

but when i try to login to 1password on new device, it will not recognize my credentials or the QR code?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:[not using multiple devices, but trying to set up 1password on new mac (don't need old mac or other d](https://discussions.agilebits.com/search?Search=not using multiple devices, but trying to set up 1password on new mac (don't need old mac or other d)

Comments

• Hi @buckeyejb

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble. If you look on your existing Mac do you see a vault named 'Primary' in 1Password? Also, are you able to sign in at https://my.1password.com/ ?

Ben

• buckeyejb
    buckeyejb
    Community Member

I'm not able to sign into my.1password.com, but i'm able to login to 1password on my old mac, and i'm entering my credentials directly from old mac to new, and something isn't working - maybe it's just my password, but my master password works on old mac??

• That gets us back to that question about a 'Primary' vault. If you have a Primary vault, then the Master Password of that vault is the one you use to unlock 1Password, but that isn't necessarily the same as your 1Password.com account password. It sounds like that is the case here. on the old Mac do you have a Login item for 1Password.com in your Personal vault? If so that should have the correct Master Password for your account on it. The Primary vault should be deleted, but we can handle that after we get the rest sorted. :)

Ben

• buckeyejb
    buckeyejb
    Community Member

not sure i have a Personal vault, or how to abstract the password from the app?? so i can't login to 1Password.com.. way to reset password? thanks

• buckeyejb
    buckeyejb
    Community Member

i was able to figure it out... had to try and remember the password.. if only a such a product existed? LOL

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the update @buckeyejb! I am very happy to hear things are working as expected now.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• buckeyejb
    buckeyejb
    Community Member

now on to part II, my password works on the new mac, but now when I go to install the Firefox extension, the same 1password password does not work? i've only ever used two passwords for 1password, and neither work.. i'm confused.

• @buckeyejb

I'd be happy to help with that. Two questions:

1. If you look in the vault switcher (top left of 1Password) on the new Mac do you see a vault called "Primary"?
    2. What is the name of the extension you installed in Firefox? Is it "1Password X" or "1Password (desktop app required)"?

Thanks.

Ben

• buckeyejb
    buckeyejb
    Community Member

on my old mac, I had a Primary and a Private.. on my new mac, I only see Private. It looks like I tried to install 1password x.

• Gotcha. What happens if you uninstall the 1Password X extension and install the desktop app extension? It can be found on our downloads page: https://1password.com/downloads Then everything on the new Mac should unlock with the same password you use at https://my.1password.com/ The reason the old Mac is different is because it has that legacy "Primary" vault - which shouldn't / didn't carry over.

Ben

• buckeyejb
    buckeyejb
    Community Member

thanks... i installed the desktop app ext, but when I login to new sites, i'm not getting a prompt to save login? is there a setting i'm missing? thx

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@buckeyejb:

What version of the 1Password browser extension have you installed?

• buckeyejb
    buckeyejb
    Community Member

• buckeyejb
    buckeyejb
    Community Member

and my 1password 7 app is at 7.4.3

• @buckeyejb

There is a setting (in 1Password > Preferences), but that is on by default, so unless you turned it off... that is unlikely to be the problem. Have you disabled your browser's built-in password manager? Often these conflict with 1Password and cause the problem you're describing.

Ben

• buckeyejb
    buckeyejb
    Community Member

default is on, and i disabled firefox's native password mgr.... i tried 5-6 different websites, and still no prompt to save my password?!??! odd.. not sure what to do?

• buckeyejb
    buckeyejb
    Community Member

does it matter that i only have a private vault and not a primary?

• Ben
    Ben
    edited March 2020

does it matter that i only have a private vault and not a primary?

You should not have a Primary vault if using a 1Password membership.

default is on, and i disabled firefox's native password mgr.... i tried 5-6 different websites, and still no prompt to save my password?!??! odd.. not sure what to do?

That'd odd for sure. I'd like to get you over to our extensions team for a deeper look. I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/552654/#Comment_552654
    • Your forum username: buckeyejb

That way I can "connect the dots" when I see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so I can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once I see the diagnostics I'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Ben

• buckeyejb
    buckeyejb
    Community Member

I just decided to ditch Firefox, and just use Safari.. now everything seems fine! :) Thanks for all the help!!

• Glad to hear Safari is working better for you. You're very welcome. If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.