Installed 1PasswordX in Firefox; website not detecting extension is installed. Please advise

Hi,

I just joined 1Password and have installed 1Password X as a Firefox Extension. Firefox shows that the extension has been installed, however when I go to a website (say LinkedIn), the website does not recognize 1Password has been installed. Hence, no login and password autofill are suggested.

Please advise.

Thanks,
Sub

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.18.1
OS Version: Firefox 74 (64-bit)
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Installed 1PasswordX in Firefox; website not detecting extension is installed

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hi @subhrangshu! I'm glad you reached out. I'm wondering if you see a 1Password icon inside username/password fields. It'll look something like this:

Do you see a menu underneath fields with the 1Password icon inside them? That's the inline menu, which will contain existing Logins for the website you're visiting. That means the URL inside the Login item would need to match the URL that you're currently visiting. I hope that helps, but let me know if you have any questions!

• subhrangshu
    subhrangshu
    Community Member

Hi Kaitlyn,

I appreciate the note. I do not see the 1Password icon inside the username/password fields.

Regards,
    Sub

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@subhrangshu – Thanks for letting me know. The inline icon is part of 1Password X, so those icons should appear automatically once you sign into your 1Password account. I'm curious what happens when you click the 1Password icon in your Firefox toolbar. Does a new tab open asking you to sign into your account, or do you see a pop-up appear with your 1Password items?

• subhrangshu
    subhrangshu
    Community Member

Hi Kaitlyn,

That's exactly what I was expecting. No new tab opens when I click on the 1Password icon in my Firefox toolbar, neither does a pop-up appear.

Regards,
    Sub

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@subhrangshu – Interesting. Would you mind sending me a screenshot of the 1Password icon you're clicking? I want to make sure we're looking at the same extension.

• subhrangshu
    subhrangshu
    Community Member

Hi Kaitlyn,

Did my image come though?

Regards,
    Sub

• subhrangshu
    subhrangshu
    Community Member

• @subhrangshu

It was held up in our moderation/spam prevention queue. It is now shown in the forum for @kaitlyn

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@subhrangshu – Super interesting. Can you try visiting https://my.1password.com and signing into your account? Do you see a prompt asking if you'd like to add the account to 1Password X?

• subhrangshu
    subhrangshu
    Community Member

Hi Kaitlyn, I don't see any such prompt. All I see is the screen shot below:

• subhrangshu
    subhrangshu
    Community Member

Hi Kaitlyn,

I click on "Get the apps" and then on the "1PasswordX" for Firefox, I see the following in a new tab:

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@subhrangshu:

I am curious to see if any other browser extensions are interfering with 1Password X on your device. I have just tested it here in my Firefox browser and things worked fine. My browser only has the 1Password extension installed, so can you try temporarily disabling all of the other extensions, quitting and relaunching Firefox, and seeing if the behavior changed afterwards?

• subhrangshu
    subhrangshu
    Community Member

@ag.. I have not tried on other browser extensions and will try. I just realized that I run Firefox in private mode. Would that have anything to do with my problems? That said, I have enabled 1Passsword extension to work in private mode for Firefox

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@subhrangshu:

No, I don't think using 1Password X in private mode is the cause of this.

• subhrangshu
    subhrangshu
    Community Member

@ag_ana what do you propose I do?

• subhrangshu
    subhrangshu
    Community Member

@ag_ana I had downloaded Keeper earlier and it seemed to work fine on my version of Firefox

• silver_bill
    silver_bill
    Community Member

I am also experiencing this issue, but only with the 1passwordX extension. The older extension available on the website currently works (requires the desktop app to be installed an logged into). I can successfully login to the full web interface at my.1password.com without issue.

I think it is unintentionally my fault, as I use a custom user.js file for Firefox (for browser hardening, privacy, etc). That specific file can be found here - https://github.com/pyllyukko/user.js/blob/relaxed/user.js

I have disabled all other addons, and that didn't solve the issue. Restart of both browser and computer have been attempted, but did not fix the issue. I am using the latest FF x64 public version, 74.0.

For me, the addon is installed, but when I click on it in the toolbar, nothing happens. No new tab pops up, no login request, nothing. Its like something was blocked from completing the request to open the extension.

Would it be possible to find out which setting or combo of settings is causing the issue so I can modify them without losing the greater ability to use the custom user.js file? I'm happy to provide whatever extra information might be needed.

I just transferred everything from Dashlane to 1password yesterday, as 1password seems to be better at communicating, listening to users, and actually follows "the right darn way to do things" philosophy with privacy. My only frustration so far is the Dashlane extension in Firefox has never had this problem, which I'd say is pretty minor.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@subhrangshu – Ah, thanks for pointing out that you're using Firefox in private browsing mode. While in private browsing mode, Firefox prevents extensions from accessing the local database, which 1Password X relies on in order to function properly. That used to result in a blank page when trying to open the extension, but now that you mention it, I wonder if that behavior changed recently. Everything that you're describing reminds me of that issue aside from the blank page appearing. Just to check, could you try disabling the Always use private browsing mode option and seeing if the issue still occurs?

Let me know what you find!

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hi @silver_bill! Thanks for jumping in. 1Password X needs access to the local database to function properly. Do your privacy settings happen to restrict that at all? That's the issue with private browsing mode, but I haven't put in the effort to create a custom js file myself.

• subhrangshu
    subhrangshu
    Community Member

@kaitlyn the challenge was indeed having the Firefox in private brower mode. Switching that off has taken away the problem. Thanks!

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@subhrangshu – Awesome! You're very welcome. If anything else comes up, I'll be here for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.