Wrong password error message

I have recently started having the following problem: Using 1P mini Ctrl-Alt-à in my case, I select the Agilebits forum from my favorites and the log-in fails with the message that the user name or password is incorrect. I know the user name is right so I simply copy and paste the password and the log in completes. So my vault has the right user name and password. This can happen with any of the sites in my vault. Can anyone suggest what I should do to eliminate the issue which does not happen every time but does with some frequency? Thanks for the help.
When it happens I also get a screen from 1P asking if I want to update my record so the password it has pasted is not the same as in the record.

1Password Version: 7.4.758 Beta
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90 Brave
OS Version: Win 10 Pro
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Andrew42!

I could not reproduce this behavior with my 1Password login and this forum, so there might be something different in your login item. Do you see the same behavior if you save a new login manually in the browser for this forum?

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

I admit I haven’t been very intelligent over this. I’ll explain why: When this situation has occurred and I have clicked to update my password, 1P has obeyed and updated the record with what is clearly the wrong password so now the log-in wont work until I have changed the password for the site. What I have to do in a future case is first open 1P and write down the existing password, then allow 1P to update the record, (with the wrong password), then go back into 1P and copy the new wrong password and compare it to the original. That way I will be sure to know what happened but not why. I’ll let this issue run for a few days and try and collect better data.
    I’m not sure how to answer your specific question because this issue is random and inconsistent. It can happen with any of my log-ins but doesn’t happen all the time. All I know for certain is that when the login fails, all I need to do is go into 1P, copy the password, then paste it manually into the password box for the log in to complete as it should.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @Andrew42 ,
    If you want to change a website's password, it is best to start the process on the website itself: https://support.1password.com/change-website-password/

That will save you some confusion and extra steps :)

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

Thank you. Yes. However my current issue stems from 1P occasionally wrongly completing the login boxes by inserting an incorrect password even though the record in my vault has the correct password.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2020

There are two scenarios I can think of in which this may occur:

• The website was changed or redesigned and the login item in 1Password that used to work now suddenly doesn't work as it supposed to.
    • You generated a password that contains more characters than the website allows you to, so 1Password autofills something that is impossible for the website, which is why you are getting an error. If the website demands up to 14 characters, and you generate a 20 characters password, then this might happen.

Ana's suggestion above to create a new login item will solve the first scenario I mentioned above. The second scenario can be resolved by removing the excess characters from your password or by changing it once more and complying with the website's demands.

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

Thank you for your comments. Since one of the sites with which I have had occasional trouble is this Agilebits Forum we know that scenario one is not appropriate. Since my password for this forum is 12 digits long and has not been changed since November last year and I only started to get this problem about a week ago, I don't think scenario two fits either.

The annoying thing is that this problem that I am having is:
    A. New
    B. Intermittent
    C. Apparently can happen with any site in my vault

All I know for certain that the login occasionally fails and when it fails it is because the password entered by 1P is not only incorrect but is not the password 1P has registered for the site in question because all I have to do to correct the issue is manually copy and paste the password from the 1P record into the login password box.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for further clarifying @Andrew42 .
    If you can find specific steps that will allow you to reproduce the issue on demand, please share them here so we can investigate further. If we're able to reproduce it on our side we will definitely have a better understanding of the issue and perhaps an immediate solution.

Before you try to replicate the issue, please create a new login item for the website you are going to test it on using the steps in the link Ana provided: https://support.1password.com/save-login-manually/
    Then see if you manage to reproduce it and if so, try to notice if you performed a specific action(s) that may have triggered it.

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

I am going to try and develop this issue over the next few days. I understand that unless you can duplicate the problem it is nigh on impossible for you to understand what causes it and from there develop a fix. Because the problem is intermittent. Merely creating a new login item using the link will not necessarily cause the problem to manifest itself. I'll keep trying. I have just optimised my database to see if that makes a difference.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @Andrew42,
    If we can't reproduce it here then it would suggest the issue is local to your machine/setup, which we should investigate.
    The reason we're asking you to create a new login item using the steps in that link above is because such issues are more often than not caused by a faulty/outdated login item, so please do create a login item for every website this issue occurs on regardless if it seems related or not. :)

Keep us posted with any new findings you come across.

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

Thank you. To make sure I get this right, when the problem occurs you wish me to create a new log in for the site, giving it a different name; then, to keep things consistent, go back into my database, delete the old version and rename the new one as the original and mark it as a favorite, if appropriate. This because my old login has, for some reason, become outdated or faulty.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @Andrew42 ,
    Yes, create a new login when you encounter the issue. No need to name it differently and then rename it, no need to mark it as favorite (unless you want to). Just create a new login and start working with that login instead. If you are able to reproduce the issue with the new login, then the issue is not occurring due to a faulty login but for a different reason. That is our test here.

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

Understood. Thank you.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Keep us posted :+1:

This discussion has been closed.