iCloud Drive sharing suport ?

Options
PAP
PAP
Community Member

Hi,

Anyone know if the new iCloud Drive sharing in iOS and OS X starting today will be supported by 1Password, so owner of 1Password license can share a vault ?

Comments

• @PAP,

1Password uses CloudKit for syncing and not the user facing iCloud Drive. The Folder sharing in iCloud Drive does not translate/extend to CloudKit in my understanding.

• Ben
    Options

Just to add to what Tommy already said: the only supported way of securely sharing 1Password data with another person is through 1Password.com membership. Each person you want to share with would need an account within the same membership.

Ben

• michaelbonnettjr
    michaelbonnettjr
    Community Member
    Options

I'm not interested in a 1Password.com membership, I would however like to see support for iCloud Drive Folder Sharing added to 1Password.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks @michaelbonnettjr. Our development focus is on 1Password.com. At this time we don't plan to expand our offerings with regard to 3rd party sync services. On top of that iCloud Drive isn't designed to handle databases like 1Password's. Instead Apple offers the CloudKit backend that Tommy mentioned we're using. CloudKit is designed for such databases, but it doesn't have any sharing capabilities. As such, even if development priorities were to shift, iCloud Drive support in 1Password isn't in the cards. I'm sorry I don't have the answer you were hoping for. :(

Ben

• pschaumburg
    pschaumburg
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben,

I'd really agree with your thoughts on that. But 1Password still have Dropbox Support for Vaults, but no iCloud Drive support.
    So, why shouldn't this be a thing which can be implemented in 1Password?

Best regards,
    Patrick

• Ben
    Ben
    edited April 2020
    Options

@pschaumburg

Dropbox support was already in place long before iCloud Drive existed. If we were looking at building it today, we wouldn't. We aren't currently focusing on any additional 3rd party services for syncing 1Password data.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.