Confusion: "ON MY MAC" vs "ON DROPBOX"

MatthiasL
MatthiasL
Community Member

I just updated from 1Password6, while using 1Password7 for quite some time on iOS and Windows. So I bought a stand-alone version (jumping through the "Download it from the web, not the AppStore, find the stand-alone license button in some dialog"-loop) and installed the updated version. After purging all settings to get rid of the old 1Password6-vaults (why is there no option what-so-ever to remove the vaults?) I started with a clean 1Password7:

Nice, on the first page I was asked where my primary vault comes from and I selected Dropbox. The following setup worked as expected (and like on Windows) and my primary vault was shown on the left side of the main window in a section "ON DROPBOX". So far, so good and easy.

Now the confusion: There seems no obvious way to add additional Dropbox-Vaults. The only thing I figured from the forums that I can add another vault by double-clicking the ".opvault"-file in finder. But: This add the vault in the section "ON MY MAC". What does this mean? Is there any difference to the primary vault? I mean in final consequence even the primary vault is synced by Dropbox on a folder base not through the API, am I right? Will these additional vaults tagged as "ON MY MAC" sync correctly?

Please help.

1Password Version: 7.4.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.15.3
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:on dropbox on my mac

Comments

• Hi @MatthiasL

If you open 1Password > Preferences > Sync do you see the vaults in question there, and is their sync type set to Dropbox? Or is it set to 'Folder'? You are correct that it is essentially a folder sync either way, as an API isn't needed when using the Dropbox apps on desktop platforms, but 1Password does have special logic built-in for handling sync conflicts specific to Dropbox.

Please let us know.

Ben

• MatthiasL
    MatthiasL
    Community Member

The additional vaults do have the type set to "Dropbox" which is of course correct. I noticed once I switch to the vault selection on the main window and then switch back, the vaults are shown in the "ON DROPBOX"-section. So the main issue seems only a display update directly after adding the vaults.

Looks fine now, thank you :-)

• You're very welcome. If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.