1PasswordX pops up on a field which is no password field (Chrome)

Sometimes 1PasswordX pops up on a field which is no password field. How to disable/modify this?

1Password Version: X
Extension Version: X
OS Version: WIndows Google Chrome
Sync Type: X

Comments

• andycjensen
    andycjensen
    Community Member

I'm having the same problem and it seems to be worse after an update that ran automatically this morning. We have a 1Password business account and I use 1PasswordX. Right now when I try to use drop-down fields in Zendesk, 1PasswordX is preventing them from opening properly. Forcing me to disable 1PasswordX so I can function in Zendesk.

• andycjensen
    andycjensen
    Community Member

clarification - it seems to be one particular field that isn't working. When I lock 1PasswordX that solves the problem.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@maartenN, @andycjensen: It isn't possible to disable 1Password X in specific fields, but if you'll share the specifics -- OS, 1Password, browser, and extension versions you're using, the URL, and the steps to reproduce -- we can test it to see if we can make 1Password smarter about dealing with that page in a future version. :)

• andycjensen
    andycjensen
    Community Member

brenty - a consistent problem I have is 1Password X trying to insert itself into fields that are not intended to be user/pass fields. Was wondering if that was going on here.

MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    1Password 7
    Version 7.1.1 (70101001)
    Google Chrome Version 68.0.3440.106 (Official Build) (64-bit)
    1Password X version 1.10.2

Can't provide URL because it is to a ticket in our (authenticated) Zendesk support instance.
    Steps to reproduce = click on the dropdown. it flashes open and then immediately closes.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2019

@andycjensen: While it's problematic to sort something like that out without being able to test it, we've heard other reports that Zendesk is problematic. We may end up just disabling 1Password X in that environment altogether. Thanks for the feedback.

ref: x/b5x#563

• maartenN
    maartenN
    Community Member

@brenty: I can't provide an URL because it is behind a portal. For now lock 1Password solves the problem.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

• Hi all,

We're aware of 1Password X misbehaving on Zendesk and hope to have a fix out for it soon. Thanks for your patience. :)

Mitch

• gregreid
    gregreid
    Community Member

I just ran into the same problem. On my Bank of America screen where I want to "Transfer between accounts", there's a field that allows me to search for the name of a transfer-to account that I've previously created. But when I click in that field, 1PasswordX's pop-up covers over the drop-down of the transfer-to names. It took me forever to figure out that I had to Lock 1PasswordX so that it wouldn't do its pop-up, so that I could see the transfer-to names and continue the transfer. Very aggravating. First of all, I wonder why 1PasswordX would think that this was a userid or password field. And secondly, there really needs to be a way (e.g. holding down the Alt key when clicking in an input field) to explicitly tell 1PasswordX that I do NOT want it to do any pop-up here.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hi @gregreid! 👋

Thanks for getting this on our radar. I haven't heard of 1Password getting in the way on Bank of America's website, and I don't have an account there myself. I'm wondering if you'd be able to take a screenshot of the field for me without revealing any personal info. If it's not feasible, that's not a problem, but it'd help for us to see the form. In addition to that, are you able to right click on the field and select Inspect? That should bring up your browser's built-in developer tools. Please take a screenshot of the code (the correct section should already be selected) and include it in your response. Again, be sure to block out any personal information or just avoid it altogether, if possible. Once I get that info back from you, I'll pass the report along to our developers.

I also wanted to make sure you're aware that clicking on the 1Password icon inside the field will close the inline menu as well as open it. Next time the inline menu gets in the way, try clicking the 1Password icon inside the field and see if that gets rid of it. Of course, we'll still want to resolve the underlying issue of 1Password appearing in the field when it's not something you want filled, but I figured that may help in the meantime.

• gregreid
    gregreid
    Community Member

I just ran into the same problem. On my Bank of America screen where I want to "Transfer between accounts", there's a field that allows me to search for the name of a transfer-to account that I've previously created. But when I click in that field, 1PasswordX's pop-up covers over the drop-down of the transfer-to names. It took me forever to figure out that I had to Lock 1PasswordX so that it wouldn't do its pop-up, so that I could see the transfer-to names and continue the transfer. Very aggravating. First of all, I wonder why 1PasswordX would think that this was a userid or password field. And secondly, there really needs to be a way (e.g. holding down the Alt key when clicking in an input field) to explicitly tell 1PasswordX that I do NOT want it to do any pop-up here.

• gregreid
    gregreid
    Community Member

Hi Kaitlyn, and thanks for your detailed response. Well, I just tried on my laptop -- using both Chrome and Edge -- to recreate the problem, and I'm unable to do so! The drop-down for the transver "To" field does NOT have the 1Password icon, and the drop-down works perfectly. I've taken a screen shot, including the inspect data for this field, FWIW. See if you can see it from this link:

https://us.v-cdn.net/5020219/uploads/editor/ac/k31szmbyux3m.png

Anyway, that's working PROPERLY. 1Password recognizes that this is NOT a userid or password field, so keeps out of the way. When the problem happened a few days ago, it was actually my fiancee trying to use her laptop to transfer money to ME. And in that situation, 1Password had inserted its icon into the "To" field, and when she clicked in that field to open the drop-down for her configured tranferee list, it was obscured by the 1Password pop-up (offering to fill in the field).

Well, she's not around at the moment to recreate this, but I'll get her to do so (and gather a fresh screen shot) when possible. I'll re-append here where done.

Also, regardless of whether or not 1Password(X) can be properly trained to NOT do its icon and pop-up thing in this particular input field, I think that there ought to be a configurable hot-key to tell it to "do nothing".

Thanks again,
    Greg

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@gregreid – That's interesting! I wonder if it was fixed unintentionally or not. If you are able to recreate it, please do let me know. Based on the code alone, I wouldn't think that would be considered a fillable field, but I'll definitely take a closer look once you're able to reproduce the issue.

Just a heads up that you can hide the 1Password X inline menu on specific webpages, and that may actually come in handy here (as long as you're able to reproduce the issue again). To do so, you'll click Suggestions in the inline menu, then click Hide on this page. Here's a screenshot so you know exactly what I mean:

Keep me posted on how it goes once your fiancee is able to give it another try.

This discussion has been closed.