Unable to use 1P properly on iPhone

For the last several months I cannot use 1P on my iPhone easily for the following reasons:

1. It no longer syncs. This has happened before.
  2. It does not retain the Master pw on the phone. Even if I use it to try to login to a site, but for some reason it fails (which seems to be very common and the normal situation) and I have to try again, it wants the Master pw again. I have had sessions where it took me a half dozen times to get logged in, and had to enter the master pw on the phone each time.

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: 10.14.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hi @jasimon9

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble. You're pretty significantly out of date on all of your software that you listed, which I don't imagine is helping anything.

1Password Version: 6.8.9

1Password 7.4.3 is now available. 1Password 6 was retired in mid-2018 and has not been updated since. It will not be receiving further updates. You can read more about the upgrade to 1Password 7 here:

1Password 7 for Mac: The Best Ever

Extension Version: 4.7.5.90

This is the latest stable build of the extension, but there is a beta that'll we'll be pushing to stable as soon as possible. It contains some important fixes, particularly for Chrome. You may want to consider installing it:

1Password beta (desktop app required) - Chrome Web Store

OS Version: 10.14.6

macOS 10.15.4 is now available and is a free upgrade from Apple.

As a security focused company we'd always recommend running the latest versions of all of your software, but especially your operating system, web browser(s), and 1Password. If you opt to use to an earlier version that is your prerogative, but it isn't something we can recommend. That said, licenses never expire, and so you can continue using any version you've licensed for as long as it works for you. Using version 6 should be considered a temporary measure. As things continue to evolve around the now retired v6 it will be less and less practical to continue using it. For example, Safari 13 uses an all new extension framework, and as such will not work with v6.

It no longer syncs. This has happened before.

We have an extensive troubleshooting guide for syncing with Dropbox available here:

If you're having trouble syncing with Dropbox

Because Dropbox is a 3rd party service the troubleshooting advice we're able to offer is limited to this guide. As mentioned at the top of the guide:

It does not retain the Master pw on the phone. Even if I use it to try to login to a site, but for some reason it fails (which seems to be very common and the normal situation) and I have to try again, it wants the Master pw again. I have had sessions where it took me a half dozen times to get logged in, and had to enter the master pw on the phone each time.

What version of 1Password are you using on your phone? Do you have Touch ID / Face ID enabled? One of these options is required in order for 1Password to remember your Master Password. After a reboot you must launch the 1Password app and unlock it once before you'll be able to use Touch ID / Face ID within the autofill interface.

Thanks.

Ben

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member

I normally keep my software up to date. The exception is macOS right now, as I have not decided what to do about incompatible apps on Catalina. But I know I have to get on this pretty soon.

I normally would expect notices from AgileBits about upgrading, but don't recall getting them lately. Perhaps that is my fault.

On the iPhone, I cannot tell what version I have. I have looked everywhere in the app, and cannot find it. Not sure why it has not updated automatically. But Touch ID is enabled.

I suppose it might be best to delete it and re-downloaded it from the app store. But there are several versions there and I think they might be different from what I have.

• I normally would expect notices from AgileBits about upgrading, but don't recall getting them lately. Perhaps that is my fault.

We do have a newsletter that you can sign up for, if you aren't already subscribed:

https://1password.com/newsletter/

The announcement about 1Password 7 went out through the newsletter in June of 2018. It would've come to you from dave_teare@agilebits.com.

On the iPhone, I cannot tell what version I have. I have looked everywhere in the app, and cannot find it. Not sure why it has not updated automatically. But Touch ID is enabled.

This is the app you should have at this point:

1Password for iOS on the App Store

And the latest version is v7.4.6 (as of writing). You can see the version on the Settings page, toward the bottom.

I suppose it might be best to delete it and re-downloaded it from the app store. But there are several versions there and I think they might be different from what I have.

As long as you've got a good copy of your data on another device. :)

Ben

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member

Ok found the version. I do have 7.4.6 already, so it is up to date.

I am thinking I did get the notification, but elected to not pay for the upgrade at that time.

Regarding the sync--I manually requested a sync and that worked. I was in the habit of letting it sync by itself. Is that wrong?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jasimon9:

I was in the habit of letting it sync by itself. Is that wrong?

No, it's not wrong, this is how things normally work. Sometimes however, if you use a third-party sync service for your data, such as Dropbox, you might have to refresh things.

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member

Best option is probably 1P membership, but that is $36 or $60 per year.

• Correct, but that also gets you access to the latest versions of 1Password as part of the package. :)

About 1Password membership

Ben

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member

I have upgraded to 1P v 7. I think we should close this topic.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the update @jasimon9 :+1: Closing as requested :)

This discussion has been closed.