To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

after closing my browser on my PC, I have to enter secret key every time I log on. Why?

adelery
adelery
Community Member

I created an account today. When I go to 1password.com on my browser on my PC, it makes me enter the secret key every time. I thought once a device was registered, you only had to do that one time?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:after closing my browser on my PC, I have to enter secret key every time I log on. Why?

Comments

• adelery
    adelery
    Community Member

I now have realized that I can click CTRL \ and the secret key is automatically filled in. A few questions:

1. Does this mean that Google Chrome is saving my secret key? Is that safe? I thought the whole point of the secret key was that only I had the printout of it?

2. When I type CTRL \ and the secret key is filled in, it all appears, not just ****************. Is that safe?

3. In the window 1Password app, when I look at my account and click "Show Web Form details", I see my full secret key. Again, is this safe? I don't understand why it appears there.

• plttn
    plttn
    Community Member

So my.1password.com should be saving your session when you quit, so are you clearing cookies on quit?

but to answer 1/2/3, it sounds like you're using the regular connected 1Password (as in it connects to the desktop app, rather than 1Password X) extension for Chrome.

1. Chrome is not saving your secret key, because 1Password is.
      1a. Your secret key is saved by 1Password, yes, but it's secured behind your master password, and your secret key. It's like keeping a spare key to a safe that uses both a PIN and a physical key inside the safe. The only way someone could get at the secret key is if they have access to your 1Password data unlocked, in which case your secret key isn't really that appetizing compared to all your other passwords.
    2. Yes
    3. I'm a bit rusty on what is decrypted when when it comes to items being displayed, but again if a malicious actor got access to your unlocked 1Password application, their first thought isn't going to be to go peep your secret key.
  • ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @adelery! Welcome to the forum!

pittn is spot on here. From what you wrote, I think you have configured your browser not to save cookies, or to remove them upon quitting. This would explain why you have to enter your information every time.

• adelery
    adelery
    Community Member

Thanks, pitta and ag_ana.

I'm using 1Password on my work computer, and Tech Services does have it configured to remove cookies upon quitting. As I've used it for a few days now, it does not seem that the clearing of cookies impacts the Chrome extension, is that correct?

As a follow up, if I have the Chrome extension, am I correct that I don't really ever have to go to www.1password.com?

Thanks for helping this newbie!

• @adelery

That's true if you are using the "1Password (desktop app required)" extension. In that case the extension is relying on the 1Password application, rather than data stored in your browser. There are still a couple things that can only be done through the web app (billing being one example), but on a day-to-day basis: you're right, you can probably avoid it by using the app.

Ben

• adelery
    adelery
    Community Member

Ben,

I use a Windows machine and currently do not have the desktop application for 1password installed. I am just using the chrome extension. Will that allow me to have the correct 1password functionality?

• @adelery

Above you mentioned:

In the window 1Password app, when I look at my account and click "Show Web Form details", I see my full secret key

I assumed you meant that you had the 1Password 7 for Windows application installed. My apologies if that is not the case. Could you please clarify exactly what it is that you have installed? We offer multiple Chrome extensions so it is difficult to say for sure without knowing specifically what we're talking about. Please let me know the name and version number of the extension you have installed. :)

Thanks!

Ben

• adelery
    adelery
    Community Member

Hi Ben,

It's 1Password for Windows. Extension for Chrome and it's version 7.4.763

• @adelery

I think there may be some confusion. You mentioned you weren't using the desktop application but v7.4.763 is the desktop application. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.