Visually impaired, using forum for first time, still adjusting to understanding how to user new Mac

lynnmedia
lynnmedia
Community Member

hi, so sorry as this question may have already been asked and answered. im using a Mac and don't use it often as my phone is easiest for eyes in my condition of vision loss anyway but I still don't know how to do little basic things like select all to copy then paste lol.

so I have Mac OS Catalina 10,15.4. I updated just last night and do remember 1password coming up when I last used the computer maybe 3 months ago. now, im only allowed to save passwords to the keychain. and the 1password autofill is not coming up when I go to login to anything (I have to open 1pass separately and hit copy for the password then input it in whatever account im trying to log in to.

I am really sorry guys for anyone who reads this because I understand how frustrating it can be to repeatedly have to answer the same question but I did try to find other discussions lol and one I did come across was saying something about how it won't work as an extension (currently, mine is installed as an extension should I uninstall the extension?) and to go to "safari preferences" followed by clicking on "browsers"

when I click on safari next to apple logo I don't get the option "safari preferences" I just get "safari extols" and further down the drop down is "preferences"

1password is updated to the latest version.

please help and thank you in advance. im interested in hiring someone who would be willing to go through some basics with me (copy from once device to paste where I left off on another, setting up my yubikey on all accounts that allow it, understanding the Microsoft authenticator app better as I just had to do a factory reset on my device and it wouldn't let me recover my accounts backed up to cloud and how to set it up on the computer, a lot of little tedious things but I was hacked twice and one was devastation as it was sim swapping and they took an account of mine (the only platform I can use to make income to survive currently) ransom for 5k in bitcoin.

since then I've done nothing but keep up to date with technology regarding hackings and best way to prevent etc. so im easy to teach im just a very step by step person and again, I have a lot of kite things that I need help with that just time consuming!

I understand you can store 2fa codes in 1password, this im not familiar with and not sure I feel safe as it is an extra step on top of the password so if god forbid I loose access to 1password, I not only would lose my passwords but all my codes you know? im dealing with it now for the first time with Microsoft lol but im pretty sure I can just restore a back up from iCloud. im not even sure 1password sync to apple's iCloud? im pretty sure it does okay that's it im shutting up now lol. Thank you in advance, so sorry again and I know there's probably tons of typos.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• lynnmedia
    lynnmedia
    Community Member

1Password 7
    Version 7.4.3 (70403002)
    1Password Store

is the version im using

• lynnmedia
    lynnmedia
    Community Member

macOS Catalina
    Vaersion: 10.15.4

• lynnmedia
    lynnmedia
    Community Member

MacBook Air 8,1

please help

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @lynnmedia! Welcome to the forum!

I updated just last night and do remember 1password coming up when I last used the computer maybe 3 months ago. now, im only allowed to save passwords to the keychain. and the 1password autofill is not coming up when I go to login to anything (I have to open 1pass separately and hit copy for the password then input it in whatever account im trying to log in to.

From what you are writing, it does seem like an issue with the 1Password browser extension. If you open Safari Preferences (the menu you found is the correct one, it's just called "Preferences") and go to the Browsers tab, as you mentioned above do you see the 1Password extension in the list there?

• lynnmedia
    lynnmedia
    Community Member

Omg thank you so much for the reply. Will check ASAP but I believe so yes. I’m wondering if I should delete it? I need to confirm for sure but I’m 99% sure it is in there!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@lynnmedia:

You don't need to delete it, just make sure the extension is there in the list, and enabled. It should look like this:

• lynnmedia
    lynnmedia
    Community Member

Hi okay so sorry I really hope you’re online right now lol it’s my fault for the delay. I’m in front of my Mac now and I clicked on preferences under safari and I didn’t see a “browsers” but I saw “tabs” so I’m not sure what to do there? But when I click on extensions it does look exactly like that and it is checked (looks like I have quite a few extensions) so what I’m still having to do is on every account, open 1password even from within the toolbar of the page as it’s not allowing me to auto fill. Does that make sense? It’s just showing the ikeychain option to fill

• lynnmedia
    lynnmedia
    Community Member

I did click on auto fill in the same section and ahhh I wish I could talk to you on the phone. I know you guys don’t do that I mean can I pay for a private tutor type session? Lmao sounds so stupid and I don’t have a lot of funds but I’m so desperate I’d be HAPPY to. This is so hard on me. I need help with 2fsc as well as I’m using Microsoft auth app and couldn’t restore my codes. are there any exceptions for phone calls if they can provide to you guys they are legally blind? I understand there’s a lot of sources that are not visually impaired friendly and it’s really unfortunate but I kind of don’t blame you guys like other visually impaired ppl because it’s just so rare at least what I have and I’m still trying to figure out how to even live w this. Here is a screen shots of what everything looks like:

• lynnmedia
    lynnmedia
    Community Member

Okay so now somehow I see diff tabs I think I’m in the 1password preferences? It shows the browsers tab here. Here’s a screen shot.
    Sorry I’m blowing the feed up 🤦🏼‍♀️

• I wish we were in a position to offer more 1:1 attention but unfortunately we're just not there yet. If you'd prefer to communicate via email we can arrange that, but we don't have telephone support available.

Everything in your screenshots looks good, except:

Everything on this page (Safari > Preferences > Autofill) should be unchecked. Also, it appears you have a lot of Safari extensions. I would recommend disabling all of them except 1Password, as a troubleshooting measure, to see if things work as expected with them disabled. If they do, then you could re-enable the other extensions one at a time until the problem reoccurs. Then you know which extension is causing the problem. Notably I see you have Dashlane installed, which may very well be conflicting with 1Password.

Please let me know how it turns out.

Ben

• lynnmedia
    lynnmedia
    Community Member

Hi Ben, okay I had everything under auto fill checked because I thought it would be easier to be able to auto fill my card info etc on web pages. I would love to set something up. I’m having a very difficult time as is and I just can’t seem to get anywhere via tech without any support via the phone. I don’t know what I’ve done but the 1password is working on the computer again. I’ll go in and uncheck everything in autofill?! Also, yes I’ve ever used dashlane. I believe it may have been synced to the computer when I downloaded it as a free trial (however never used it). Should I try and delete it from the computer still? Not even sure how lol.

I’m having a hard time with deciding on 2fa to use in the 1password app. I’ve been using Microsoft Authenticator app, and recently lost a bunch of my codes as i May have deleted the backup in iCloud once I entered in a new hotmail email. Ugh so extremely frustrating. I’ve also got a yubikey and they don’t offer phone support either. I spent two full days trying to hook it to my gmail accounts via live chat w a person there only to get to the end where it was giving a message they weren’t familiar with. I’m just ready to give up 😩. I’ve been trying to get everything back in place since the hacking in 2017.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@lynnmedia:

Autofill option in Safari Preferences should be unchecked so you can make sure that Safari is not interfering with 1Password. So yes, please make sure that those are all unchecked.

Also, yes I’ve ever used dashlane. I believe it may have been synced to the computer when I downloaded it as a free trial (however never used it). Should I try and delete it from the computer still? Not even sure how lol.

You should uninstall the app like any other regular macOS app. I have looked up the instructions on the Dashlane website for your convenience.

I’m having a hard time with deciding on 2fa to use in the 1password app.

What is giving you a hard time deciding specifically? If you could let us know what your concerns are, we will be happy to address them.

This discussion has been closed.