When I connect to new device already has older 1PasswordVault, it overwrites the current vault!

I use 1Password 4 for Windows. I have 4 devices, I use Dropbox, with 3 Connected Devices. 1 Device is NOT connected to Dropbox at all times. When I want to update the 4th one, I disconnect 1, reconnect another. When I connect to a new device already has older version 1PasswordVault (1 month old), it overwrites the current vault! Now all new updates for last month are gone. Please advise on better steps to avoid this, AND MAKE THE NEWLY CONNECTED ONE GET THE LATEST, NOT BE THE MASTER. (please do not suggest upgrading).

1Password Version: 4.6.2.626
Extension Version: FireFox 73.0.1 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: DropBox
Referrer: forum-search:When I connect to new device already has older 1PasswordVault, it overwrites the current vault!

Comments

• bluezango
    bluezango
    Community Member

I think I see the "correct" ones in Dropbox Conflicted Copies? If so, any way to get them "back"?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2020

Hi @bluezango!

I was going to suggest updating to 1Password 7 since 1Password 4 is very old now and will not receive any more updates. Since you mentioned that you don't want to hear this option though, my recommendation is to upgrade to the Dropbox paid plan so you can use it with more than the 3 devices available in the free version.

In the meantime, 1Password 4 should have taken local backups for you, so you can try restoring from one of those, but you should really consider upgrading to 1Password 7.

• bluezango
    bluezango
    Community Member

Why would you suggest upgrading to 7, twice, when I specifically said not to???

• bluezango
    bluezango
    Community Member

What are the proper steps in sequence??
    Say I have a computer with a 1 month old 1Password4 Vault and Dropbox is disconnected.
    What are the steps to both Connect it, and update it to the latest synched vault?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@bluezango:

Why would you suggest upgrading to 7, twice, when I specifically said not to???

In my previous post in this discussion, I recommended you upgrade your Dropbox plan in your specific case, instead of working around its limitations in the free tier, which I think is part of the problem here.

More in general though, upgrading to 1Password 7 is the recommended approach, both for you and for everyone who will read this discussion in the future. I am sorry to hear you don't like this. It is certainly your prerogative to ignore our recommendation, but I am sure you will understand why it is our duty to recommend the best solution to our customers.

What are the proper steps in sequence??

You should go through the Dropbox troubleshooting steps one by one, we prepared the guide exactly for this.

Should you keep seeing the same behavior, please switch to a more reliable sync method. With a 1Password Membership, in addition to reliable sync, you also get the latest version of the apps on every platform as a bonus :+1:

This discussion has been closed.