Getting from 1Password 4 to Current version

I'm a long-time 1Password user and am moving over to the latest version. I've already set up my new 1Password and am trying to migrate my 1Password 4 data over. None of the information on the videos and instructions seem to fit what I am attempting to do. I have created a 1PIF file from my current data but I don't see a way to import it. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

1Password Version: 4.6.2.626
Extension Version: N/A
OS Version: Windows 10 1903
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• I wouldn't suggest importing a 1PIF, @caduceus26. It's meant to get data out of 1Password so the information it captures isn't quite as complete as it could be since it assumes things unique to us aren't going to be useful to another password manager. Could you tell me how you chose to upgrade to 1Password 7? Did you sign up for a 1Password membership or purchase a standalone vault? How did you sync 1Password 4? Knowing this will help me make a better suggestion for migrating things over, or point you to the right guide. :chuffed:

• caduceus26
    caduceus26
    Community Member
    edited March 2020

Thanks for your response. I signed up for the 30-day 1Password Families trial having already decided that I would likely stay with it unless some major unworkable issue popped up. I entered a few notes manually just to test the results. The thought never occurred to me that my first challenge would be migrating the data. :-) I currently use Dropbox to sync across platforms. I have data going back to 2010.

• caduceus26
    caduceus26
    Community Member

Following up on last my last reply. I bumbled my way into the solution. After going through the 1Password 7 import function I was presented with the 1password.agilekeychain import option. The imported item numbers appear okay except a few are off by one, probably explainable by item(s) created when I setup the account and prior to importing. I am checking the data to make sure everything came over okay. Thanks again for your response.

• You bumbled into what I would have suggested, @caduceus26, way to go! :chuffed: One more thing that might cause things to not quite line up is that your attachments will have been converted to Document items if you had any. 1Password 4 only allowed storing files as an attachment to another entry. 1Password Families instead saves files as Document items which can either be their own thing or be linked to other items as related items, similar to attachments. This could also cause you to see a few extra items kicking about.

On reason I generally suggest importing is that it's a fair bit simpler than trying to re-trigger automatic migration, but also tends to be extremely reliable at providing a smooth transition. Hopefully this proves true for you as well, but if you find anything didn't quite make the journey, let me know. Otherwise, enjoy and stay safe out there!

• caduceus26
    caduceus26
    Community Member

Thanks for the heads up on the Document items. Three were converted. On viewing them I'm able to determine that two are linked secure notes and CC. The other item points me to the URL of a saved news article on something I was interested in at the time. So far, everything else looks great. You stay safe as well. Thanks again.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of bundtkate, you are welcome @caduceus26! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• caduceus26
    caduceus26
    Community Member

Thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.