Firefox extension not working

Hi,

The 1password Firefox extension is no longer working for me. Nothing happens when I click on the 1password icon in the toolbar. I don't see a 1password icon inside username/password fields in any sites I visit.

I've followed the instructions found here: https://support.1password.com/extension-troubleshooting/
Including rebooting computer, starting 1password application and then trying the extension. Updating 1password application and extension. Uninstalling and reinstalling the extension.

The 1password extension in Chrome (80.0) still works.

I am currently using Firefox 74.0 but the problem began in 73.x.

Some potentially useful screenshots below.

Thanks for your help.

Brett

Firefox extension icon:

Lack of icon in username/password fields example:

1password is the only extension installed in Firefox:

1password extension settings:

1Password Version: 7.4.758
Extension Version: 4.75.90
OS Version: Windows 10 1909
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• It sounds like you were previously using 1Password X, @bhdbiz, and have ended up with the companion extension instead. The latter requires the 1Password desktop apps so it won't work without one installed. It also never shows icons in fillable fields like 1Password X does. Try reinstalling 1Password X:

https://1password.com/downloads/windows/#1PX-download

This should disable the companion extension, but if it doesn't, go ahead and disable it yourself, just to be safe. Let me know if that gets you up and running. :+1:

• bhdbiz
    bhdbiz
    Community Member

Hi Bundtkate,

It may very well have been the case that I had 1Password X installed before. Unfortunately, installing X and removing the companion extension doesn't seem to help. I still get no response when clicking the (new) toolbar icon.

I do indeed have the desktop 1Password installed. It was just updated to 7.4.759.

Thanks,

Brett

New toolbar icon:

Windows Apps and Features:

1Password X in Firefox:

Still no fillable field icon:

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2020

Hey @bhdbiz! I'm on the 1Password X team, and Kate asked if I could take a look.

I see a couple things wrong to start with, the first being that the 1Password X icon is unresponsive when clicked, so let's begin there. Just so I'm clear, when you click the 1Password X icon (the one with the little padlock on it) in your browser toolbar, does anything look like it's even so much as trying to happen? I'm looking for a new tab opening, a pop-up appearing (even if it's blank), or anything else, really. In addition to that, go ahead and try right-clicking the 1Password X icon as well. Do you see a context menu appear? If so, try selecting Settings and let me know how that goes.

To help get to the bottom of the issue, would you be able to grab a copy of your 1Password X log as well as your browser log? At this point, both logs could potentially be throwing errors, so checking each of them out wouldn't hurt. We've got handy guides of how to obtain each log:

Feel free to post the log here (either as a screenshot or as text) as long as you're comfortable with it. If you'd prefer to send them through email, let me know and we can go that route instead.

As far as troubleshooting goes, I wonder if simply reinstalling 1Password X would help us out. That said, I'm under the impression that you just installed this copy of 1Password X, which makes me think reinstalling wouldn't be very effective. It's worth a shot, though. Go ahead and remove 1Password X and reinstall it in Firefox here.

The next issue is regarding the 1Password icons not appearing inside fillable fields. I believe that'll be related to the first issue, though. While I do acknowledge that the icons not appearing inside fields is a problem, I'd like to first figure out what's going on with the unresponsive icon in your browser toolbar. Once that's resolved, we can move onto the next issue, if need be.

I'll wait until I see a copy of your logs before going any further than that. I look forward to hearing back from you.

• bhdbiz
    bhdbiz
    Community Member

Hi Kaitlyn,

Yes, the 1Password X icon is completely unresponsive.

Right clicking icon reveals a context menu with no 'Settings' option:

1Password X log:

Could not map contract ID '@mozilla.org/sharepicker;1' to CID {1201d357-8417-4926-a694-e6408fbedcf8} because no implementation of the CID is registered.
    Initializing 1Password X... background.js:27:633766
    UnknownError: The operation failed for reasons unrelated to the database itself and not covered by any other error code.
    Use of nsIFile in content process is deprecated. 2 NetUtil.jsm:253:8

Browser log:

Unknown category for SetEventRecordingEnabled: fxmonitor
    Error: Can't find profile directory. XULStore.jsm:66:15
    IndexedDB UnknownErr: ActorsParent.cpp:612
    Key event not available on some keyboard layouts: key=“i” modifiers=“accel,alt,shift” id=“key_browserToolbox” browser.xhtml
    Use of nsIFile in content process is deprecated. NetUtil.jsm:253:8
    Content Security Policy: The page’s settings blocked the loading of a resource at inline (“default-src”). 2 panel.js:62:24
    Use of nsIFile in content process is deprecated. NetUtil.jsm:253:8

I did indeed just reinstall 1Password X. I'll try reinstalling again after posting this message.

Thanks for taking a look!

Brett

• bhdbiz
    bhdbiz
    Community Member

Reinstalled and no joy. Same problems as described above.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@bhdbiz – Thanks so much! I really appreciate you sharing all the details with me. After thinking on this for a bit, I'm wondering if you're using Firefox in private browsing mode. What you're describing sounds familiar, so I'm wondering if things may have changed in regards to using 1Password X in private browsing mode recently. Let me know whenever you get a chance.

• bhdbiz
    bhdbiz
    Community Member

Hi Kaitlyn,

The problems occur in regular mode. When I launch a private browsing mode window the 1Password X icon doesn't appear in the toolbar.

Thanks,

Brett

• bhdbiz
    bhdbiz
    Community Member

I don't know if this is relevant or not but using the 'Open and Fill' option in the full 1Password program opens the webpage in Firefox (my default browser) but does not fill in a username or password. Perhaps another small clue...

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@bhdbiz – 1Password X doesn't communicate with the 1Password for Windows app, so the "Open & Fill" button will only work with the 1Password companion extension. Do you still have the companion extension installed in Firefox?

If you have a few minutes, would you be able to set up a brand new Firefox profile and give 1Password X a try there? The new profile will have completely fresh Firefox settings. That'll let us know if it's an issue with your current profile or something larger. Check out Mozilla's guide on creating a new profile in Firefox if you need any help. I'll be here if you have any questions as well.

• bhdbiz
    bhdbiz
    Community Member

Bingo.

First I uninstalled 1Password X. Next I created a new profile and set it as default. Then I reinstalled 1 Password X and it took me to the 1Password page to set up (enter secret key, email and master password). This referral to the 1Password page is something that didn't happen the last few times I installed 1Password X and it didn't occur to me at the time that it should be happening.

Everything seems to be working as intended now. Thanks for your help Kaitlyn!

Brett

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@bhdbiz – I'm so glad to hear that did the trick! If anything else comes up, don't hesitate to get in touch. In the meantime, stay safe and healthy out there. ❤️

• Elpaso
    Elpaso
    Community Member

Dear Kaitlyn,
    Since a few days (week?) I experience the same problem with the Firefox extension. Previously it was always a great tool, but suddenly fun is over.
    I removed and re-installed the Add-On, restarted Firefox, restarted PC, all with no result.
    But then you suggest creating a new Firefox profile. It seems a bit complicated. Please give slight directions how and why, and then what etc.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Elpaso! Similar to my previous comment, I'm wondering if you're using Firefox in private browsing more or if you have the option to never remember your history enabled.

• Elpaso
    Elpaso
    Community Member

Thanks for assistance and support.

After some extra studying of the several mentioned options, I came to the Mozilla help-page, and followed their guideline for just letting the Firefox Refreshing itself. (No need to start a new profile)

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/refresh-firefox-reset-add-ons-and-settings
    Some finger-crossing, since, well, you never know what IT companies or wish-kids have come up with.....
    But it worked out very well and I just had to re-add the 1 PasswordX extension. After clicking the Icon, it brought me to the 1Password-login site to initiate with Emailadres, Secret-Key and Master-Password.

(BTW: I have a 1Password.EU account. )

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@Elpaso – I'm glad you were able to refresh Firefox in the end! I know folks generally have some settings stored in Firefox that they don't want nuked, so that's why we tend to go the route of creating a new profile. That's great it helped resolve your issue as well. :blush:

This discussion has been closed.