Idle time lock - how precise is it?

First, I'll admit that I haven't run an actual test to see whether 1PX accurately auto-locks in in accordance with my set time. However, I thought I'd ask my question first. Does 1PX auto-lock after a hard-coded time period, regardless of the number of minutes I choose? For example, I set the time to 100 minutes, but it seems that it locks well short of that time. My browser remains open, though the display may time out. Otherwise, there is no activity on my pc. If 1PX is supposed to respect the time I set, then an empirical test on my part may be warranted. Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.18.8
OS Version: Win 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jimmyweg! Are you setting the auto-lock time in 1Password for Windows or in 1Password X?

I'm also curious if you have Lock when device goes to sleep enabled.

• jimmyweg
    jimmyweg
    Community Member

Thanks, Kaitlyn. I set it in 1PX at 100 minutes. I just looked, and it is set to 1 hour in 1P-Windows, but is set to lock when the computer is locked. While I don't have a screensaver, I know that my screen locks after a period of idle time, and I didn't set any Windows policy to effect that. When I logged in to my 1P account, auto-lock was set to 10 minutes. Although Chrome is set to delete cookies on closure, I created an exception for cookies related to 1P. I can say that 1PX locks well short of 100 minutes and before Windows locks.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@jimmyweg – That's definitely interesting since you mentioned you aren't closing your browser at all during that time. Would you mind keeping an eye on it and seeing if you notice when 1Password X locks? Once you do realize it's locked, go ahead and grab your 1Password X log. Once you've got the log, either post it here or email a copy to us at support+forum@1password.com. If you decide to email it, please let me know here so I can look for the email in our inbox.

• jimmyweg
    jimmyweg
    Community Member

Thanks, Kaitlyn, I will. However, I reset the idle time from within my account from 10 minutes to 100, which matches the time that I set in 1PX. The time in 1P/Windows remains at 1 hour, as it doesn't offer minute granularity. For the time being, that might have resolved the issue. However, that also raises the question of why does the idle time in my account revert to 10 minutes after being set and saved to 100?

• jimmyweg
    jimmyweg
    Community Member

Well, I was incorrect. The system locked prematurely, but the idle time in my 1P account had not changed from 100 minutes. I set the extension's console settings to save timestamps, and I'll get the log when this issue next arises.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you @jimmyweg! Sounds good :+1:

• jimmyweg
    jimmyweg
    Community Member

The issue seemed to have recurred just now, so I emailed the log. Again, my timeout is set to 100 minutes in 1PX 1.19.0. My browser was open and Windows had not timed out to the lock screen. Thanks for the help!

• @jimmyweg

Thanks for sending that in, I found your submission. Someone should be with you ASAP. We appreciate your patience.

ref: MTM-88993-589

This discussion has been closed.