Convert Password to Login

Hey there. I recently moved from Mac to Linux and was happy to see that 1Password could travel with me. However, I've noticed that I can't seem to convert generated "Passwords" to "Login" items (with usernames) like I could with the Mac client. That's a bit of a bummer - is that something that'll be fixed? Or maybe I'm just blind and I don't see the button to do that?

I found that I had to copy the password to my clipboard and then exit the interface and re-create a "Login" item to get it to do what I wanted.

1Password Version: X
Extension Version: 1.16.1
OS Version: Linux Firefox
Sync Type: 1Password.com

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hey @justindthomas! That'll be the best route to go on Linux, but I'm curious how you're creating Password items in 1Password X. When you save a username and password using the inline menu, a Login should be created rather than a Password item. And if you generate a password with the password generator, the password should be saved in your generator history rather than creating a Password item. Perhaps you just had some Password items stored from when you used to use 1Password for Mac?

• justindthomas
    justindthomas
    Community Member

Usually that (inline) works. I've run in to a couple instances where the option didn't come up for whatever reason and I had to "generate password" manually. Having no way to then convert that to a login is a bit of a hassle.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@justindthomas – That makes sense to me. I'll pass your feedback along to the rest of my team so we can discuss it. Thank you for sharing. :)

ref: xplatform/xplatform#59

• watsonarw
    watsonarw
    Community Member

Sorry for bumping an old thread.

I've noticed that this happens regularly for one of my family members when they're trying to use 1password for creating an account. They get incredibly frustrated at the tool and threaten to go back to using the same 5 character password (one that they remember, even though it's flagged as compromised by watchtower), and ask why they can't just have LastPass back (I don't want to keep paying for it is the answer). It's currently at the point where they're copying the password to a text file because they don't trust 1password to save it (realistically, it's saved, but doesn't show up as a login).

If it helps, I suspect it happens during those (increasingly common) two stage signup forms when the username is on one screen, and the password is on the next.
    Having a button to convert to login would be good.
    Having it create a login (even without saving the username) would be even better.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@watsonarw:

Can you give us an example of a website where this is happening to you?

• watsonarw
    watsonarw
    Community Member
  • kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@watsonarw – Thanks so much! I'm super curious which extension your family member is using. We currently offer two – 1Password X and the 1Password companion extension. The latter will create Password items, but the former will not. This is the 1Password X section of our forum, and that's what I specialize in. Would you mind having them double check which one they have installed? That'll help me point them in the right direction. :)

• watsonarw
    watsonarw
    Community Member

They're using 1Password X v1.18.0 in Chrome (v80) on Windows 10.

I'm not entirely sure what they did to get the password item, although talking to them, it's possible that after it failed to create the login via the autofill input helper dropdown thing (not sure what this is called) within the page, they went to the extension in the menu and created a password from there.

Sorry I can't give a more detailed steps to reproduce, it's possible that they're just not using the tool in the way I think, and I need to guide them through it again (we switched from LastPass a few months ago which doesn't separate the concept of Logins and Passwords, so perhaps that's a point of confusion).

I feel like there's probably still value in having a button to convert a password to a login within the 1Password X app/extension as a way of rectifying things like this after the fact. I had to sort it out by opening the 1password windows app and converting it there, then locking/unlocking 1Password X to force a resync. It was a bit clunky, and I only knew it was possible because last time this happened I had to search for how to force a resync from the desktop app to 1Password X.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@watsonarw:

Thank you for this feedback! And if you ever get a precise list of steps to reproduce, please feel free to send it to us and we will be happy to test this :+1:

• pizza
    pizza
    Community Member

You can reproduce this every time if you use the vault on the 1password site, instead of the desktop apps.

• Hi @pizza. I'm not sure what you mean by "use the vault". Can you clarify what steps you are taking and what end result you see?

• pizza
    pizza
    Community Member

"The vault" is the place where 1password data are stored, isn't it? https://my.1password.com/vaults/

• Sorry @pizza. I think we were just a little confused by your wording there. Yes, a vault is a container for 1Password items. I think we're on the same page now. Thank you for the additional information.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.