Request to move my 1password.com account to 1password.eu

2»

Comments

• We would like to add a more comprehensive (i.e. not platform-dependent) export option in the future, but that has nothing to do with the topic of this discussion.

Currently copying/moving breaks all links between items.

If exporting/importing would retain them I would love this functionality exactly for the topic of this discussion.

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

Thank you for sharing this use case @XIII! I can see how that could be useful to you :+1:

• I'd like to weigh in on this, I noticed when migrating from a Dropbox vault to a Family account that it offered to automatically move everything and it kept the references so it seems the code to do this already exists.

I noticed though that I had signed up on the .com and wanted to migrate to .eu, which led me to this post.

So I then tried to do what you suggested, and as XIII noted, it will not keep links when selecting all and moving them. It will helpfully inform you about that fact though.

Under Advanced on iOS there is also the "Migrate Data to Your Account". But I am not able to make it sync to my EU account, even if I have added the standalone Dropbox vault back.

So it seems, that if the "Migrate Data to Your Account" would be made slightly more flexible it would allow migration between 1password.com and 1password.eu .

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Hi @Gabriel_

I noticed when migrating from a Dropbox vault to a Family account that it offered to automatically move everything and it kept the references so it seems the code to do this already exists.

Migrating attachments on items in a standalone Dropbox vault to linked Documents in a 1Password membership account is not the same as moving said Documents between accounts. The code for that would be different.

So it seems, that if the "Migrate Data to Your Account" would be made slightly more flexible it would allow migration between 1password.com and 1password.eu .

Making this process easier / less manual is definitely on the "nice to have" list. We'd like to do it. We have started to make some progress toward smoother interaction between the various 1Password regions, while maintaining a "no direct contact" principal. It is possible that in the future some of the foundation we're building there will make it easier to perform such migrations. No promises, but fingers crossed. :)

Ben

• rickfillionrickfillion Junior Member

Team Member

Currently copying/moving breaks all links between items.

This drives me bananas myself. We really need to fix that.

Rick

• Has this issue been addressed by now? Will need to migrate to the EU site soon because of GDPR and have quite a lot of linked documents in several vaults that I don't really fancy relinking manually one by one.

Michael

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Hi @MIB

Moving items between vaults does not preserve links; sorry. :(

Ben

• Why is it that hard to enable your customers to somewhat easily comply with an actual law requirement? It's not that I'm doing this because of too much spare time. This is especially frustrating for long time customers like myself who have accumulated quite a bit of data in your service.
    Could you at least make a tool that exports everything into a classic vault (where the documents become directly attached to the entries again) which you could then re-import to the new cloud realm (where the documents will automatically get separated again)? I mean, at least half of that code is already in place, isn't it?
    The thing is, if I need to manually correct so many entries anyway, I may also switch to a different service all together. Same amount of work.... Not really a good sales pitch if you ask me.

Michael

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

@MIB:

Thank you for the feedback! I think we just have to find the time to work on item linking, it's going to be the best solution in the long term. Sorry for any inconvenience it might cause you right now.

The thing is, if I need to manually correct so many entries anyway, I may also switch to a different service all together. Same amount of work.... Not really a good sales pitch if you ask me.

I certainly understand. However, if you have to go through all of this effort either way, I hope you will consider staying with 1Password if you are happy with everything else it offers. At least after the migration you would find yourself using the tool you already know and like.

• Hi,

I recently discover that a "1password.eu" exists — and it seems it already existed when I signed up for a 1password.com account... There's definitely something to do in your subscription process to better highlight the 3 different instances to your users. It might also help avoid those kind of discussions in the first place.

Anyway, being today a 1password.com user living in Europe, I'd like to move my data to 1password.eu. However, reading through first your assistance page, and then this discussion, it seems to be quite a cumbersome thing to do (to say the least). Like others here, I have 500+ items in my vault (+ Family members with their own items), and a lot of documents and linked items built over the years...
    There's no way I will move that and recreate all of them manually! I agree with MIB above, such a process is almost the same as switching to another password-manager tool entirely... Combined that with the lack of "advertising" for the 1password.eu instance, I'm wondering how the use/business case for such an instance was created initially ;)

The migration process should be WAY easier. How come that almost 2 years after the first post, absolutely nothing at all has moved? :(

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Hi @ant_richard

I don't have further to report here at the moment. What you've already read is still the latest information. If you're set on moving to 1Password.eu it is a fairly manual process. I'm not sure what the advantage of that might be for you, unless you have an ISP that has fast connections to our Amazon EU region, but slow connections to our Amazon US East region. Even then, the real world differences that you would see are likely to be minimal.

I'm sorry I don't have more encouraging news but due to the siloed nature of the instances this is unlikely to change in the foreseeable future.

Ben

• dancodanco Senior Member Community Moderator

I'm not sure what the advantage of that might be for you, unless you have an ISP that has fast connections to our Amazon EU region, but slow connections to our Amazon US East region.

Isn't one advantage being subject to EU laws rather than US ones.

And I moved to.eu from .com because I am in the UK and wanted to show my support (not that anyone would notice) for EU membership.

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

@danco:

1Password services comply with GDPR requirements however:

AgileBits GDPR Statement

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file