Safari extension disappeared after updating from 7.4.2 to 7.4.3

Options
DaveyG
DaveyG
Community Member

I updated 1Password 7 from 7.4.2 to 7.4.3 and the Safari extension disappeared. Checking the preferences for Safari, I notice that the extension for 7.4.2 is still in there. Do I need to uninstall it before 1Password will install a new extension version? Do I need to do anything additional?

1Password Version: 7.4.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.14.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_tommy
    edited March 2020
    Options

@DaveyG

1. Quit Safari Completely
    • No light on under the Dock icon.
    1. Open and then quit 1Password completely using the following simultaneous key strokes.

⌘⌥⌃Q (Command Option Control Q)

• You do not need to unlock the app to have it quit.

• 1Password should be the frontmost app when you quit.

1. Open 1Password.

2. Open Safari.

3. Enable the extension in Safari Preferences.

Does this show the proper version?

• DaveyG
    DaveyG
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, that worked! Thank you very much!

• Super! :)

• eric_chilton
    eric_chilton
    Community Member
    Options

Hey team,

Experiencing somewhat the same issue not related to a version upgrade... Extension keep disappearing. I've tried the "quit completely" routine and restart in the sequence recommended, but the only this that works is to uninstall and reinstall the App. Getting painful!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@eric_chilton:

What version of the 1Password app is this happening with for you?

• eric_chilton
    eric_chilton
    Community Member
    Options

• eric_chilton
    eric_chilton
    Community Member
    Options

Also happens on one of my iMacs but not the other.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @eric_chilton

It sounds like you're using the Mac App Store version of 1Password (v7.4.4 was only released there, as it corrected a bug that was exclusive to the App Store). We've heard a number of reports of issues loading the Safari App Extension after updating through the App Store. Anecdotal support suggests that switching to a direct download may improve the situation. Please try the following:

1. Quit Safari
    2. Open and then quit 1Password completely — ⌘⌥⌃Q (Command Option Control Q)
    3. Drag 1Password to the Trash, but DO NOT use a "cleaner" app to remove 1Password if you have one (MacKeeper, CleanMyMac, AppZapper, etc)
    4. Empty the Trash
    5. Restart your Mac
    6. Install 1Password from our website: Download for Mac
    7. Open 1Password
    8. Make sure the extension is shown and enabled in Safari under Preferences > Extensions (do not click "More Extensions")
    9. Verify that you're able to use the extension to fill logins

Let me know how it turns out. :) Hopefully that should alleviate any issues with 1Password + Safari going forward.

Ben

• eric_chilton
    eric_chilton
    Community Member
    Options

Thx Ben. Back up and running. Will LYK if I encounter more issues.

Best, Eric

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of Ben, you are welcome @eric_chilton! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• eric_chilton
    eric_chilton
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry to bother, but just to LYK, the Extension disappeared again and I had to trash and reinstall the App (from your site). Did a system reboot and all that stuff... Back up and running.

It's an easy fix, just annoying. Any further thoughts?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2020
    Options

@eric_chilton:

It would be difficult to say what went wrong now that things have been fixed already I'm afraid. If this keeps happening to you, we could take a look at your app logs to see if we spot anything there.

This discussion has been closed.