1Password 7 macOS sync tab not visible - And iCloud sync and Family share question

Options
sgeiser
sgeiser
Community Member

I just upgraded from v6.8 to v7.4.4 on both my iMac 2019 and a MacBook Pro. On my iMac Computer, in the 1Password/Preferences pane window heading, it does not show the 'Sync' button. On my MacBook Pro, it does show the Sync button in the preferences pane. Both are running OS Mojave 10.14.6. I have restarted the 1Password app on Mac OS but it still does not appear in the preferences.

I previously used the DropBox sync and would like to now use the iCloud sync but am not sure I can sync with my wife's devices in iCloud as she uses her own Apple ID. I couldn't previously using v6.8. Does the Family Sharing aspect of v7.4 allow my wife's devices to share with mine?

Also, I just noticed, the sync function button does not show up on any of my iOS devices (two iPhones and two iPads).

Thank you in advance for any help you could provide.

Sam

Comments

• @sgeiser

On my iMac Computer, in the 1Password/Preferences pane window heading, it does not show the 'Sync' button

With a membership, you would not see this option. It sounds like you moved to one of our membership offerings.

On my MacBook Pro, it does show the Sync button in the preferences pane.

It sounds like this Mac may still have a Primary vault associated with it. If you have a membership you will need to remove this vault.

I previously used the DropBox sync and would like to now use the iCloud sync but am not sure I can sync with my wife's devices in iCloud as she uses her own Apple ID.

I want to clear up a bit of terminology to prevent confusion. The Apple product is iCloud, and there is a sync through iCloud for some users. Memberships through us do not use iCloud for syncing. Can you clarify which method you are using to sync?

Does the Family Sharing aspect of v7.4 allow my wife's devices to share with mine?

See my first reply above. :)

Also, I just noticed, the sync function button does not show up on any of my iOS devices (two iPhones and two iPads).

See my first reply above.

Please let us know more about your sync type, and we will be able to help you more definitively.

• sgeiser
    sgeiser
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your response. You've cleared up a lot.

I did upgrade to a membership with 1Password v7.4. Initially, my private vault items were double in size as the Primary Vault. Then I read somewhere in the forums that I should delete my old Primary vault because the installation process had not deleted it. Deleting this Primary Vault put the number of items back in prospective.

Syncing: Previously (1Password v6.8) I used Dropbox syncing. I tried to sync using iCloud but it would not allow my wife's iPad and iPhone to sync together with my vault because iCloud syncing was based on our Apple ID's. My wife's Apple ID is different than mine so they would not sync together. Dropbox allowed us to sync all of our devices so I had been using dropbox for syncing. I now see that with v7.4 membership, all our Apple devices are syncing without using iCloud or Dropbox.

Q: My wife and I are the only ones sharing our passwords and credit card information. We share the login password. Do we not need to use the Shared Vault?

Q: Is there a way to backup our Private Vault? I use Apple's Time Machine Backup. Do you know if it is backing up the Private Vault and can it be restored if it were somehow otherwise lost?

Thanks again for your time.

• ag_tommy
    edited April 2020
    Options

My wife and I are the only ones sharing our passwords and credit card information. We share the login password. Do we not need to use the Shared Vault?

When the Mrs. and I were in the same situation, we did not use the shared vault. It became useful later on when adding family members to our account. I would forget it's there, for now. :)

Is there a way to backup our Private Vault? I use Apple's Time Machine Backup. Do you know if it is backing up the Private Vault and can it be restored if it were somehow otherwise lost?

Backups are taken automatically in your account. https://support.1password.com/backups/ You can restore items manually if needed. https://support.1password.com/item-history/ if a full account restore was required, we could help in that situation.

This discussion has been closed.