1Password stuck in read-only mode

I'm running 1Password 7.4.758 on Windows 10, last week the program stopped updating and gives me a "read-only mode" error. I cannot clear the read only flag on the 1Password folder. I have a family account with a current license. Any idea what's going on?

1Password Version: 7.4.758
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10x64 1909
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Could you provide some additional detail about this error, @pjcolonna? Is it showing in 1Password itself, like a red banner at the bottom? Or is it a separate dialogue box that pop up? There are two errors that mention read-only, but each has a different solution, so knowing which you're seeing would be a great help. :chuffed:

• pjcolonna
    pjcolonna
    Community Member

It seems to mainly come up when 1Password updates, it’s a separate window related to the update. I’ll try and screen cap it next time it comes up.

• Ah, that's actually quite enough, @pjcolonna. It's not read-only, it's just having trouble updating, most likely. I just got done with a little guide that covers all of the things that can cause this, so you can be my first customer to give it a go. This is a bit of a laundry list because there are a number of causes, but you'll see a step to try the update again after each and as soon as it updates, you're all done. :chuffed:

And, of course, if you need a hand at any point I'll be here.

• pjcolonna
    pjcolonna
    Community Member

I’ll give the malwarebytes part a try. The local appdata folder IS set to read only, but per the og post, I can’t clear it.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you @pjcolonna! Let us know how it goes :+1:

• pjcolonna
    pjcolonna
    Community Member

@bundtkate yep, seems to be Malwarebytes related. As soon as I got the message today, I quit Malwarebytes, re-ran the update and it loaded correctly. They must have changed something in their scanning algorithm within the last few weeks, as it never used to have an issue. I'll whitelist the folder within the app and see if that fixes it permanently. Thanks for all the help!

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @pjcolonna,

On behalf of Kate you are very welcome! Feel free to contact us anytime, we are here for you.

Stay safe,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.