Chrome extension sometimes stops functioning

nparekh
nparekh
Community Member
edited March 2020 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Since the revamp of the Windows 1Password Application, the browser extension has occasionally stopped functioning (Ctrl+\ stops filling, and clicking on the extension toolbar button doesn't bring up the mini menu). The Windows app is clearly still running properly when this happens, since Ctrl+Alt+\ and Ctrl+Shft+\ still work fine. After closing and reopening both the browser window and the 1Password application, the extension functions once more.

I've found this to be a problem mainly in Brave (Brave Version 1.4.96/Chromium 80.0.3987.132), but also at least once or twice in Chrome (Version 80.0.3987.132). The fact that it's been more frequent in Brave is probably just because I use Brave as my primary browser, and Chrome only rarely.

1Password Version: 7.4.753
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Windows 10 1909
Sync Type: 1Password.com

Comments

• nparekh
    nparekh
    Community Member

Also - a much less important thought: would it be possible to bring back (at least as an option) the autofill "pop" animation? It was pretty cool, and though I definitely appreciate the speed of Windows Hello by default, and the faster extension overall, I sort of miss it.

• I'm a Brave user myself, @nparekh and haven't had any extension disconnection troubles. This is kind of a tough test, but if you wait it out for a bit, does the extension seem to revive? Any difference if you click the extension icon rather than using your shortcut?

As for the animation, that may be possible in the longer term, but I wouldn't see it as something in the immediate future. Many of the changes in the latest have been made for stability reasons or for compatibility with the new isolated process model which means that bringing back old stuff may require doing it in an entirely new way. Or, in some cases, it may be wholly impossible. I admit, I'm not sure which category the animation falls into (if it fits neatly into either), but I will most definitely let our development team know you'd like to see it back one day. :chuffed:

• nparekh
    nparekh
    Community Member

I can try seeing if it comes back after waiting a while - I’ll let you know in a day or so once I get a chance to try it.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you @nparekh!

Looking forward to hearing back from you! :)

• nparekh
    nparekh
    Community Member

I haven't seen it as much as I was seeing it before, but when it does happen it seems to get fixed if I open 1Password mini from the Windows taskbar instead of from the browser. At that point, it returns to normal.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @nparekh,

The next time 1Password extension stops working, could you please check if you have a standalone 1Password 7 app running on your computer? Thanks!

++
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.