Secret Key Catch-22 when trying to install the 1Password X Chrome extension.

Whenever I need to install the 1Password X Chrome Extension (e.g., on a different machine, on one of my kids' accounts, etc., I run into the following Catch-22:
1. I install the extension.
2. I click on the extension icon, and get the "Welcome to 1Password X" screen.
3. I press the "Sign In" button.
4. This brings up the my.1password.com/signin page, where I need to put in the Email, Secret Key, and Master Password. I know the emails and master passwords, but the Secret Key is the annoying part. While I do have a paper copy of the secret keys, I imagine there will be times when I need to install this chrome extension when I'm not at my desk at home.
5. Above the Secret Key field is a link "Find your Secret Key." Clicking that brings up the information page support.1password.com/secret-key/ . This implies that I can find it on 1Password.com, or the apps, or Emergency Kit. I would like to do this with 1Password.com to prove that I can do this anywhere, without a physical piece of paper in front of me. To do this, there are supposedly two steps:

• Sign in to your 1Password account.
  • Click your name in the top right and choose Get the Apps to see your Setup Code.

However, the first link ("Sign in") goes right back to my.1password.com/signin (step 4 above). So now I'm in an infinite loop.

How do I log into 1password.com to get the Secret Key so I can install and use the 1Password X chrome extension?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.18.0
OS Version: OS X 10.15.3
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Catch-22 when installing 1Password X Chrome Extension Secret Key

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @scott_stanford! Welcome to the forum!

This implies that I can find it on 1Password.com, or the apps, or Emergency Kit.

That's correct.

I would like to do this with 1Password.com to prove that I can do this anywhere, without a physical piece of paper in front of me.

You don't need a piece of paper in front of you. You can simply open the PDF of the Emergency Kit ;) Alternatively, you can find the Secret Key inside any of the 1Password apps that you are currently using. But you absolutely need the Secret Key to login, so you need either your Emergency Kit, or another of your 1Password apps that you have already configured, since you are trying to login on a new device.

• scott_stanford
    scott_stanford
    Community Member

OK, just to be sure I understand, in order to install the 1Password X Chrome extension on a different computer (or even for a different "Person" in the Chrome "People" menu), I need to have a separate physical device with the Secret Key, specifically one of:

• A printout of the emergency kit
    • A PDF of the emergency kit
    • The 1 Password 7 desktop application
    • The 1Password smartphone app.

And I will need to manually type in the whole key in any of these cases. Is that correct?

If so, that would be good to make explicit on [support.1password.com/secret-key/](http:// support.1password.com/secret-key/), and correct the erroneous wording (and infinite loop), which currently implies that you can get the Secret Key on 1Password.com, which is not the case. Only the Emergency Kit or the apps can provide the Secret Key; 1Password.com cannot.

As a corollary, it seems that the only time you can use copy / paste of a Secret Key is if you have the desktop app (e.g., 1Password 7) installed, and then copy it in order to install the 1Password X browser extension.

Let me know if I'm misinterpreting anything here.

Thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@scott_stanford:

OK, just to be sure I understand, in order to install the 1Password X Chrome extension on a different computer (or even for a different "Person" in the Chrome "People" menu), I need to have a separate physical device with the Secret Key, specifically one of:

If you are installing 1Password for the first time on a new computer, that's correct, you need to enter all your information manually. Much like you enter your Master Password, you will need to enter your Secret Key, although the difference is that the Secret Key typically has to be entered only once on the new computer, unlike your Master Password, which will be required all the time.

If so, that would be good to make explicit on [support.1password.com/secret-key/](http:// support.1password.com/secret-key/), and correct the erroneous wording (and infinite loop), which currently implies that you can get the Secret Key on 1Password.com, which is not the case. Only the Emergency Kit or the apps can provide the Secret Key; 1Password.com cannot.

You can certainly get the Secret Key from 1Password.com, you just need to have logged in to that browser at least once before, so that the browser becomes an authorized one. If you are trying to login to a new device or a new browser for the first time, 1Password will ask you for all your login information for security reasons, so in this case you need to have access to the Secret Key in a different place.

As a corollary, it seems that the only time you can use copy / paste of a Secret Key is if you have the desktop app (e.g., 1Password 7) installed, and then copy it in order to install the 1Password X browser extension.

That is correct, although if you have both a Mac and an iOS device, you might be able to use the Universal Clipboard so you can copy and paste even between different devices.

• scott_stanford
    scott_stanford
    Community Member

Thanks for the detailed answer!

I would still suggest making this explicit on http:// support.1password.com/secret-key/ , and removing or correcting the resulting infinite link loop.

Thanks again.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome @scott_stanford! And thank you for your feedback :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.