Any way of searching on password field?

I was wondering if there's an officially sanctioned method of getting all the logins that use a specific password. Just typing the password into the field gets results, but it also gets logins that previously had that password. I've also tried using the "password:" search prefix but it doesn't seem to do anything.

While I'm at it, should I be concerned that the old password is somehow "cached" in 1Password's database? :p

1Password Version: 7.5.BETA-0
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: macOS 10.15.4
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• Hi @mbesemann,

I'd be happy to help with that.

I was wondering if there's an officially sanctioned method of getting all the logins that use a specific password. Just typing the password into the field gets results, but it also gets logins that previously had that password. I've also tried using the "password:" search prefix but it doesn't seem to do anything.

Click on the magnifying glass in the 1Password for Mac search bar and then click "show search options." You can then search on any of the built-in fields. :+1:

While I'm at it, should I be concerned that the old password is somehow "cached" in 1Password's database? :pirate:

That's intentional. :) What would be the reason for concern with that? I'm not aware of any attacks that rely on knowing what the password for a service used to be, and even if there were... they'd need to be able to unlock your 1Password database to get them. If they can do that... they can also get the current password. ;)

Ben

• mbesemann
    mbesemann
    Community Member

@Ben - thanks! For some reason I didn't pick up on those extra search options.

Also I was just curious about the reasons for caching old passwords. Is it just to make searching easier?

Cheers.

• @mbesemann

Glad to hear the additional search options help. :) The primary reason for the cache is to help avoid password reuse, and for the event that something goes wrong with a password change. E.g. you generate a new password, paste it into the site, and it doesn't accept it..., you'd still need that old password.

Ben

• mbesemann
    mbesemann
    Community Member

@Ben right, that makes sense. I can see the password history section on each item as well (not sure how I never noticed that!)

One last question: are these advanced search fields available on Windows as well or is that not implemented yet?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@mbesemann:

I am not aware of the advanced search options in 1Password for Windows yet, I think they are currently only available in 1Password for Mac.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mbesemann,

Ana is right, there is no advanced search in 1Password for Windows yet. However, by default the search in 1Password 7 for Windows includes all fields. I would also recommend you to check this article for some tricks you can use to find what you need in 1Password 7 for Windows.

Let us know if it helps.

Stay safe,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.