Need to reboot machine to then be able to open 1P

Options

I use almost exclusively 1P X. But I have noticed for awhile that it isn't unusual for me not to be able to open the 1P windows application. That is, clicking on it and nothing happens. The only way to get it to launch it is to reboot the machine and then all is as expected. The reboot seems to work for awhile and then the problem reappears and so a reboot is again necessary.

1Password Version: 73712
Extension Version: X 1.18 (Chrome)
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Could you share how you're opening your desktop app, @jmjm? Icon pinned to your taskbar? Shortcut on desktop? Start menu? This sounds more like a shortcut problem than anything else at a glance, but knowing more about your workflow will help me be more sure. Thanks! :chuffed:

• jmjm
    jmjm
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @bundtkate , I select the windows Start icon which pulls up the programs in alpha order down the left side with 1Password being the first one:

• Thanks, @jmjm! Next time you're not able to open 1Password this way, could you right-click 1Password there, then select More > Open file location? That should bring up another 1Password icon in Explorer. Right-click that one as well, and select Open file location (no More this time). This will finally bring you to a folder with a 1Password.exe in it. Double-click that and see if it opens 1Password. If it doesn't, try pressing Ctrl + Shift + \ and see if that brings it up. Let me know what you find. :+1:

• jmjm
    jmjm
    Community Member
    Options

@bundtkate , thanks for the quick reply. So depending on what "happens" re an Open file location will help resolve my issue about having to reboot to get 1P windows application to open?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jmjm:

That is correct. Please let us know what you find!

• jmjm
    jmjm
    Community Member
    Options

Good Morning @bundtkate and @ag_ana .

By chance "it" happened (or didn't happen this morning) and so I did as you described and I was only able to launch 1P Windows application using the Ctrl + Shift + \

• That's actually awesome, @jmjm. It might not seem like it, but it means my guess was right – your shortcut isn't working properly. What's in the Start menu isn't actually 1Password itself. Rather, it's a reference to a shortcut (what you see when you "open file location" from the start menu) which itself points to 1Password. That probably means a fresh install should do the trick. Let's give it a try:

1. Choose 1Password > Exit and uninstall 1Password.
    2. Open Start, type %LOCALAPPDATA%\1password to search, then press enter.
    3. In this folder, you'll see an app folder. Delete the app folder.
    4. Reinstall 1Password.

You won't need to sign in again, but this will clean up and recreate things like those shortcuts. You'll have to monitor for a bit to see if this happens again, so keep an eye on it and let me know if it gives you more trouble. :+1:

• jmjm
    jmjm
    Community Member
    edited March 2020
    Options

Choose 1Password > Exit and uninstall 1Password.

uninstall the 1P windows app from the same Start menu ie a right click on 1Password accessed from the start menu?

(rather than from "Add/Remove Programs"?)

(And of course nothing of my 1P Account will be lost with this uninstall? :( )

You won't need to sign in again

I haven't done it yet but I would have expected that as part of the (re)install of 7.3.712 I would need to sign in again i.e. secret key and MP.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jmjm,

You can uninstall 1Password 7 either way. Moreover, please note your data will not be affected by this reinstall process and you won't have to sign in to your account again.

Please let us know how it goes, we are here to help. Thank you!

++
    Greg

• jmjm
    jmjm
    Community Member
    edited March 2020
    Options

please note your data will not be affected by this reinstall process and you won't have to sign in to your account again.

Hello @Greg et al, just so I understand this uninstall process better before I do it...

Here https://support.1password.com/uninstall-1password/ , one is directed also to "go to" %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password after the basic uninstall but the difference is that I will be deleting the app folder and not the data folder? (Is it the untouched data folder that contains the log in/sign in credentials?)

• jmjm
    jmjm
    Community Member
    Options

Just now I did as @bundtkate had described. All seems fine right now but I will keep an eye on it.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sound good @jmjm! Let us know if you notice anything out of place :+1:

• jmjm
    jmjm
    Community Member
    Options

Still all good :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana