In-Field 1Password Icon in Safari 13.1, Catalina 10.15.4

Hi - I've recently upgraded to 1Password 7, and jumped several versions of MacOS to Catalina. It is unclear to me if I should be seeing a 1Password icon in username/password fields, or do I need to click the 1Password button in the toolbar next to the URL field?

This is what I see:

My wife uses Chrome and she sees the 1Password icon in the username field. Is this a limitation of Safari?

Thanks.

1Password Version: 7.4.4
Extension Version: 7.4.4
OS Version: 10.15.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2020

Hi @Applee! Welcome to the forum!

It sounds like your wife is using the newer 1Password X browser extension, which works directly inside the form fields. Safari uses the companion browser extension instead, so you need to use it by clicking either on the URL bar, or by using the Cmd+\ keyboard shortcut.

1Password X is currently only available for Chrome, Firefox, Brave and Edge, so what you are seeing in Safari is normal :)

• 1safe093
    1safe093
    Community Member

Hi @ag_ana

Out of curiosity, I'm a loyal customer of 1Password for years now but recently evaluated Dashlane, they do support the in field click to fill a password. As I don't believe it's a technical limitation, when would we see this in 1Password or why not, could you elaborate a bit more?

We are also evaluating this for our business and some tech guys do have a preference for DashLane due to this feature. Not saying it's a deal breaker but it's more difficult to win from a 1 vs D. Thank you.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@1safe093:

You can use the older companion browser extension inside form fields too if you want: all you need to do is right-click on a form field and choose the 1Password option from there.

The newer 1Password X browser extension just makes this option visible. And since it's our latest extension, we have simply not had the time to develop it for Safari yet :)

• Applee
    Applee
    Community Member

Hi @ag_ana

Thanks for your reply and explanation.

If I had a choice, I would certainly prefer the icon to appear in the field - I hope to see the Safari 1Password X browser extension very soon!

• @Applee

I am right there with you. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.