Overview of the Categories, examples of suggested use, special behaviour

Options
gadgetHound
gadgetHound
Community Member
edited April 2020 in Mac

Overall I wish there was a comprehensive overview on how to use the different categories of items (Logins, Secure Notes, Memberships, all the rest) and how to make use of linking records (not creating the link but why/how you would use this feature - yes there is an article that explains how links are used to connect related items but coming from other password managers where login details are kept on the same record as the rest of the info, a person may not really understand why links are useful). A new user doesn't know if any special behaviour or attributes are tied to the various categories that would make one more suited vs another for certain types of records/data.

I've had to read numerous Support Forum posts to understand that Logins are the only type that are used in browsers for filling in passwords, Documents are used for attachments which can be linked to other items (this concept isn't clear and some of the knowledge articles make it seem like you can attach external files directly inside records for other Catetory types), Secure Notes can be used for free form data or for information that doesn't really fit the other categories.

I haven't read all the postings so I don't know if I'm missing other useful info about a specific category type. I haven't found an article that describes the rationale for the categories eg. Passwords vs Logins (although there is a post for this but you have to dig into the forum to find it), or why Social Security Number, Drivers License, Passports gets a category (most people only have one) whereas some other category (where you're more likely to have multiple records) is not provided (I did see a posting about not providing too many categories to prevent the app from becoming unmanageable).

Overall I'm happy with my efforts to migrate to 1Password but I'm not confident I'm setting up properly.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Secure Note importing with optional fields

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @gadgetHound! Welcome to the forum!

Overall I wish there was a comprehensive overview on how to use the different categories of items (Logins, Secure Notes, Memberships, all the rest)

We do not offer such a thing because the way you store data inside 1Password will vary from user to user, and different people will use different categories. So this is something where you are free to experiment, until you find the structure that works best for you. There is no correct way, I think.

and how to make use of linking records (not creating the link but why/how you would use this feature

For example, I have my bank Login item stored inside 1Password, and I have linked that login to the Bank Account item in my 1Password app. They are two different things (one is used to login to online banking, while the other has the actual bank account information), but they are connected, so I decided to link them.

I have also heard of people using item link to connect a certain entry with a picture of it, for example.

I haven't found an article that describes the rationale for the categories eg. Passwords vs Logins (although there is a post for this but you have to dig into the forum to find it),

A Password is a Login without a username (such as alarm codes, bike locks, trolley locks, encryption keys etc.)

or why Social Security Number, Drivers License, Passports gets a category (most people only have one)

You might want to store the same information for your other family members.

• gadgetHound
    gadgetHound
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks - that information is helpful. I will continue migrating data and looking for the most suitable categories.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sounds good @gadgetHound! And you are welcome :+1: If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.