1Password X Fares Poorly Against Mini?

Options

I recently converted a standalone 1PW / 1PW mini account to 1PW Families / 1PW X so my spouse could enjoy the benefits. However, while teaching her the ins and outs of using 1PW/X, I have some unfavorable impressions. I'm hoping I'm just using it incorrectly and someone can set me straight, but if not, I'm switching back to 1PW mini.

First, I still have to open 1PW X with my Master PW - fine, same as mini. However, where's the password generator? On mini, it's right there on the first screen that opens. On 1PW X I have to tap/click the circle+ on the initial screen to access the password generator button. In other words, an additional click - convenience went down.

Second, (and I don't know if the extension(s) or 1PW version (6 vs 7) is to blame, but in 6 I could control not only whether generated passwords contained numbers and symbols, but how many of each. Now in both mini and X I'm limited to simply specifying whether I want numbers and/or symbols but have no ability to specify how many. Hmm, seems like lost functionality to me.

Third, and perhaps most disconcerting, whenever I use 1PW to change or create a new password, the 1PW update/create login popup window appears over the web page with which I'm interacting BEFORE I've hit the web page button to submit my request. Further, the 1PW popup demands attention - I cannot get to the webpage. I know from prior experience that not all webpage submissions for password action are successful. If, for example, the generated password is too long or contains symbols not supported, the webpage will throw an error, but now I'm left with an updated/new 1PW record out of sync with the webpage. Extremely frustrating and dangerous.

Again, I'm hoping I'm a 7/X newbie making silly mistakes but I can't seem to avoid them. Help please.

Lastly (and this is both a 6/mini and 7/X issue), I was hoping that X would support selecting which symbols are used in a generated password, as many websites - if they allow symbols at all - do not support a full suite. Yes, I know, silly them, but that is the reality of many websites with which I interact.

1Password Version: 7.4.3
Extension Version: X and mini
OS Version: High Sierra
Sync Type: ?

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @marklme!

It sounds like you might prefer our older companion browser extension instead of 1Password X, so I recommend installing that and seeing if that would work better for you.

First, I still have to open 1PW X with my Master PW - fine, same as mini. However, where's the password generator? On mini, it's right there on the first screen that opens. On 1PW X I have to tap/click the circle+ on the initial screen to access the password generator button. In other words, an additional click - convenience went down.

That's correct, you can find the password generator after clicking on the "+" button in 1Password X, so you need an extra click to reach it compared to the companion browser extension.

Second, (and I don't know if the extension(s) or 1PW version (6 vs 7) is to blame, but in 6 I could control not only whether generated passwords contained numbers and symbols, but how many of each. Now in both mini and X I'm limited to simply specifying whether I want numbers and/or symbols but have no ability to specify how many. Hmm, seems like lost functionality to me.

I might be wrong, but I don't remember this option being available in the browser extension, only in the desktop app:

1Password X is out latest extension, so it does not include every feature yet and our developers are still regularly working to improve it. 1Password X has a lot of benefits over the traditional extension, but it sounds like what it doesn't have is more important to you than what it has. So once again, it sounds like you might enjoy using the older extension more than 1Password X for now.

This discussion has been closed.