To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Personal and/or work account ? what should we do ?

Options
Clem
Clem
Community Member

Hello,

I'll try to explain the situation at best so that you can help me figure out what the best solution would be :

My boss is already using 1password, and we would like to use it to share company passwords and informations.
I don't use 1password for now, but I'd like to begin to use it, not only for work, but for my personal passwords too.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that you can't share vaults between 2 independant accounts ? you need the 2 sub-accounts to be on the same Family or Business account ?
The problem with this is that my account would then be dependant from the company, what if I leave and want to continue to use my 1password account ?

The only solution would be to have one personnal account that I manage, and an other account on a Business account from the company ? and then switching between the 2 depending on if I need personal or work passwords ?

If I use an account from a Business account of the company, have a personal vault here and a shared vault for the company, would it be possible to "seperate" this account from the Business later if needed ? switch it to a Personal account and keep the personal vault ?

I don't know if I'm making myself clear, feel free to ask if I didn't :)
Thanks a lot for your enlightments !

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Clem! Welcome to the forum!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that you can't share vaults between 2 independant accounts ? you need the 2 sub-accounts to be on the same Family or Business account ?

That is correct.

The problem with this is that my account would then be dependant from the company, what if I leave and want to continue to use my 1password account ?

You can move your existing data to another account before leaving.

The only solution would be to have one personnal account that I manage, and an other account on a Business account from the company ? and then switching between the 2 depending on if I need personal or work passwords ?

Yes, this is what we all do too :+1: You can add multiple accounts to the 1Password app, so you can switch from one to the other without problems :)

If I use an account from a Business account of the company, have a personal vault here and a shared vault for the company, would it be possible to "seperate" this account from the Business later if needed ? switch it to a Personal account and keep the personal vault ?

That is possible. Another option would be to use a Business account, which offers a free Families account to every user. This way, if you ever leave the company, you would simply continue using your Families account, which was separate from your business one from the beginning.

This discussion has been closed.