Why 'update existing' doesn't catch other informations on the page?

Hi,

Sometimes I want to update my logins to make 'remember me' option is enabled, but the only option to do so is deleting the old one and adding a new login again. (or finding the HTML dom id and updating the login data manually)

None of this options are handy.

I wonder why you prevent to save other fields on update?

Regards

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @koraykupe!

Can you give us an example of a website where this is happening?

• koraykupe
    koraykupe
    Community Member
    edited April 2020

It happens on any website. It's the current default of 1Password as @brenty said there: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/97381/it-doesnt-offer-to-save-a-new-login-item-on-most-web-sites/p1

If you really need a website, you can check it on flixbus.com login page for instance.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @koraykupe ,
    Can you tell me which 1Password version and extension you are using?

On 1Password 7 for Mac with the companion extension it does check the remember me box properly when autofilling. You can also edit the checkbox selection by opening the desktop app, selecting the login for the website, clicking on "Edit" and clicking on "View saved form details".

• koraykupe
    koraykupe
    Community Member
    edited April 2020

@Yaron Hey, the problem is not filling it correctly. I think I couldn't express myself.

Let's say you have a login for a website, but checkbox field is not saved yet. (Only username and password are in the login item.)
    Then you want to add remember me checkbox too. You check the remember me field on the website, fill in your credentials, open 1Password mini, click 'New Login' and choose 'Update existing' and save. But it doesn't add any checkbox field to the login item. If I chose 'Create new' it creates a new login with the checkbox field. Update existing does not include it! But why?

Versions: 7.4.3
    Extension: 4.7.5.90
    Platform: macOS
    Browser: Chrome

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @koraykupe ,
    Thanks for the clarification.

Indeed, 1Password only updates text based fields when you update an existing login. You are correct in your statement that a new login must be saved in order to capture the checkbox. This is quite a niche issue that we haven't heard complaints about before. I'd be happy to report it to our developers but I must be honest and state that I don't think it will be addressed in the near future.

Nonetheless, I thank you for bringing this up and reporting it to us! I highly appreciate it.

• koraykupe
    koraykupe
    Community Member

There are a few thing you won't pick up soon, and this makes me really unmotivated to renew my subscription, but thanks for listening.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

I do have some good news, @koraykupe ,
    As I was planning my report for the developers I found an existing bug report for our 1Password X extension in which it doesn't function well in checkboxes. It seems that 1Password X does change the state of the checkbox when updating an existing login, but it is having troubles actually checking/unchecking it. Once that is fixed, 1Password X will work as you want it to when updating an existing login, and that might happen much sooner that I imagined.

All the fixes we implement in 1Password X will eventually also get to 1Password for Mac and for Windows, so it is indeed good news.
    I added this discussion to the bug's log so that we'll make sure this indeed works when the main issue is fixed.

• koraykupe
    koraykupe
    Community Member

Promising. Thanks! @Yaron

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thank you again for bringin this up, @koraykupe ! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.