Extensions not working

Options
jsack
jsack
Community Member

Just installed 7.4.3. The extension in Brave is not working - I installed it, but hitting the extension button does nothing but give me a little drop down menu saying desktop app required - and I have the desktop app. In Safari, the extension says it's version 7.3.2. When I go to install extensions with the desktop app, it sends me to a web page that says the extension is included with 1Password 7 - but how do I get it to install? I toggled it on and off but nothing works.

I got a notification telling me to turn on the extension in Safari. I did that, but it doesn't work!

This is without question the absolute most frustrating thing to me about 1Password. EVERY time, with no exception, that I install an update the extensions stop working and it takes me forever to get them functioning again. I don't have time for it now but will come back to it later this afternoon. By then maybe there will be a response to this.

Sorry if I sound angry, but I am. I love 1Password, but every time I go through this I start to consider alternatives.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• jsack
    jsack
    Community Member
    Options

Firefox doesn't work either. The icon in the toolbar just kind of blinks.

• GotDamned
    GotDamned
    Community Member
    Options

same for me, checked to make sure my OS, 1PW and Firefox are all on the newest version.
    OS is macOS 10.15.4, Firefox is version 74.0.1

• ag_tommy
    edited April 2020
    Options

@jsack

Please try the following: (It has helped others in the same situation)

1. Quit Safari and any other open web browsers.

2. Open and then quit 1Password completely.

• Hold down the Control and Option keys on your keyboard and choose 1Password > Quit 1Password Completely from the menu bar.
    1. Restart the Mac.

2. Open 1Password.

3. Open the browser(s).

4. Verify that you're able to use the extension to fill logins.

• wthoover
    wthoover
    Community Member
    Options

Not working for me either. I love this software, but it seems like I deal with this every time there's an update.

I've started, re-started and quit browsers and 1PW multiple times (in multiple orders), to see if anything works.

Mac OS 10.15.4, Chrome 80.0.3987.163, 1PW 7.4.3

• jsack
    jsack
    Community Member
    Options

I got it working. I had to restart the Mac twice, but didn't do the complete quit of 1Password.

I really wish this problem could be fixed for good. It's the only thing about 1Password that I don't like.

• headhertz
    headhertz
    Community Member
    Options

Manually updating from 7.3.2 to 7.4.3 broke Firefox, Chrome, and Safari plugins for me even with updated plugins. I tried restarting all the related apps to no avail. Only rebooting to OS made it work.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wthoover:

Can you please confirm that you quit even 1Password mini, and not just the desktop app? One way to make sure is to right-click on 1Password mini in the menu bar at the top right of your screen > Quit 1Password Completely. If you relaunch 1Password now, are things working again?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2020
    Options

@jsack, @headhertz:

Thank you to both of you for letting us know that a reboot solved the issue for you! This is very useful to know, and sorry for the inconvenience.

• Scorven
    Scorven
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there,
    i have the same problem here on my mac.
    After the Update to 1P 7.4.3 the browser extension is not working in safari and also not in firefox.
    Even after quit 1P completely and restart my mac several times.
    Do you have any suggestions?
    rgds Sven

• @Scorven

Can you confirm you have quit the browsers before the restart? (not close) If not, please try quitting them. If you have tried all of that, please do a shut down of the Mac and then a startup. It sounds as if some portion of the process is not closing correctly. The complete stop may help with that.

• Scorven
    Scorven
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, in fact i have close all my programms running before restart, just to be shure :-)
    But also the complete shutdown of my mac is not helping here.
    Still not working :-(

• ag_tommy
    edited April 2020
    Options

@Scorven

I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report. Please use the following link to create that report for your device.

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics

The diagnostic report doesn't include any private information like your logins, Master Password, or Secret Key.

About 1Password diagnostics reports https://support.1password.com/diagnostics-privacy/

Please send that report to support@1Password.com Be sure to include the following information with your submission.

Your user name here in the forum. Scorven
    A link to this topic. https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/554426/#Comment_554426

• Please do not post your diagnostic report to the forum. This is for your privacy and security. The report will be in zip format, please send the entire file.

Once we receive the report we will be in a better position to assist you.

• Scorven
    Scorven
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, i have now for testing the extension helper deactivated.
    And after some time 1P asked me if i want to activate the extension helper.
    A confirmed that. Now it works.

• VirgilBoy
    VirgilBoy
    Community Member
    Options

All I did was the complete quit of 1Password and the extension is working again in Safari

• wthoover
    wthoover
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana

Yes I can confirm I've done that. Just tried it again and nothing still. All it keeps asking is to add the extension to chrome (which I have added at one point and also deleted/re-installed at another point).

I just sent over the diagnostic report to support for you to reference.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the update @Scorven and @VirgilBoy! :+1: :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wthoover:

Thank you! I confirm that I have managed to locate your diagnostics report in our system :+1: Someone will get back to your via email as soon as possible.

All it keeps asking is to add the extension to chrome (which I have added at one point and also deleted/re-installed at another point).

In the meantime, while you wait, please make sure that you installed the correct browser extension for what you are trying to do. If your 1Password app keeps asking you to install the Chrome extension, I think you might have installed 1Password X instead of the companion browser extension.

ref: PVF-79947-636

• kdcnz
    kdcnz
    Community Member
    Options

Hold down the Control and Option keys on your keyboard and choose 1Password > Quit 1Password Completely from the menu bar.

This worked for me, as well as quiting Safari. Thank you.

Note that I 'upgraded' from 7.4.3 (web site) to 7.4.4 (Apple Store) prior to the above steps, to no avail.

It appears that for the manual update (and subsequent 'upgrade' to 7.4.4) , the 1Password process was not ending. A reboot may thus not solve the issue (IMO) if applications are restarted automatically.

When I look at About This Mac / System Report / Software / Installations I see '1Password7' installed in 2018, no version number; a repeat of this 3rd April (when I manually installed 7.4.3); and today (6th April) version 7.4.4.

MacOS: 10.15.4 Safari: Version 13.1 (15609.1.20.111.8) 1Password 7: Version 7.4.4 (70404001) Mac App Store

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for sharing all these details as well @kdcnz! :+1: :)

• ptrofi
    ptrofi
    Community Member
    edited April 2020
    Options

I faced the same situation tonight, after being prompted to upgrade the app to the latest version. I've been wondering why the default recommendation is to reboot the Mac, as 1Password does not mess with the kernel and has only work to do in userland. So a reboot is maybe a bit too harsh for such a banality. Especially on a Mac. Especially in 2020... :)

I did some digging and found out that the 1Password app still shows up in the process list after fully quitting the application. This means that a component is still active, even when the main application is not actively running. The culprit seems to be the 1Password Extension Helper, which somehow messes things up with the browser extensions after the update of the application (probably by reaching out to some cached data).

So, the following procedure worked instantly, without a reboot (macOS Catalina 10.15.4, 1Password 7.4.3):

1. Fully quit all your browsers in which you have the 1Password extension enabled (CMD + Q).
    2. Go into 1Password Preferences > Browsers
    3. Uncheck Always keep 1Password Extension Helper running, then close the Preferences window
    4. Fully quit 1Password (CMD + Q).
    5. A window will pop up asking if you want to enable the Extension Helper. Select Do not enable.
    6. Restart 1Password
    7. Go back to the Browsers tab in 1Password Preferences and recheck the previously unchecked option.
    8. Restart your browsers and enjoy :)
  • Ben
    Options

A complete reboot may indeed be overkill but it may also be quicker than those steps. ;) That said I don't see anything wrong with the suggestions you've provided and appreciate the time that went into developing them. If anyone is looking to resolve this issue without resorting to a reboot hopefully that will help.

Ben

• boberonicus
    boberonicus
    Community Member
    Options

I was having the problem described in this thread. As simple reboot took care of it for me.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the confirmation @boberonicus! I am glad to hear this :)

• dogeared
    dogeared
    Community Member
    Options

Reboot didn't solve the problem for me. BUT, completely exiting 1password as described above did.

• Ben
    Options

That's very odd, @dogeared, as obviously a reboot does completely exit 1Password (and everything else). I'm glad to hear that ultimately you were able to get it sorted though, and I apologize for the trouble.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.