disable Windows unlock screen

Is it possible to disable the Unlock popup?

I use 1Password for personal accounts ... on a work computer.

I have a number of work web portal pages I log onto. When ever I login, the 'Unlock' dialog displays prompting to unlock 1Password. I don't want to use 1Password to record these logins (or other work stuff .. we have a different corporate solution for that).

I basically don't want 1Password to prompt me to unlock. I'll unlock it by activating the browser plugin when I want to use it.

Thanks,

Paul

1Password Version: 7.4.763
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: 1Password account
Referrer: forum-search:disable Windows unlock screen

Comments

• @paulc1986 i believe you want to turn off "Detect new usernames and passwords and offer to save them" in Settings.

Hope this helps,
    Serg

• paulc1986
    paulc1986
    Community Member
    edited April 2020

@SergeyTheAgile ... sort of ...

This works if I have unlocked 1Password ... but if 1Password is locked (or has timed out and locked itself) then the 'Unlock' dialog persists in poping up ... even when the site is listed in the (except on the following domains) list.

Is this intended behaviour ... or an edge use case that has not been considered?

Thanks

• It sounds like an edge case or a bug, let me check with the team. I see no reason why it should show unlock when feature is deactivated.

• paulc1986
    paulc1986
    Community Member

To be precise, I have the feature on but it prompts to unlock when I'm on a site I've told it to ignore!

My assumption is that it has to unlock to know what to ignore. I'd be happy for my ignore list to be available in the locked state .. or the unencrypted settings how ever it works.

Thanks.

• It sounds like you already had an inkling of this, but to confirm, when the feature is disabled completely, @paulc1986, 1Password is able to skip that prompt. Disabling this is a setting and your settings aren't considered sensitive information so they aren't encrypted. The sites you've excluded by telling 1Password to ignore that site specifically are sensitive so that list is encrypted. 1Password can't read it while it's locked so it's not able to skip prompting to save on that site when its locked. It doesn't know to do so.

Could we store this list unencrypted? Sure, but even making that optional is a bit dangerous. It sounds like you understand the implications here and can make good choices about the risks involved, but I'd hazard most are more likely to have no idea how storing this information unencrypted impacted their security. But, if we have a setting to allow this while locked (and thus store this info unencrypted), people are likely to say, "Oh! I want that!" and not consider the security impacts it might have.

It's a difficult problem and one that bothers me personally from a philosophical perspective. One thing I've always liked about Windows generally is that it's super easy for me to tell Windows to let me make what it might well consider a bad choice. I'm obviously one of those people that prefers to be able to make that call myself. But, I also understand the feeling that we are responsible for our customers' security. They trust that we wouldn't offer an insecure option and that makes introducing something like this tough.

I'd wager this is a debate we'll continue having and I'd love to see us one day find a good way to offer these sorts of settings without feeling that we've abdicated that responsibility, but for now this is working as intended. We don't (and probably won't any time soon) store this sort of data unencrypted, so 1Password will need to be unlocked for it to work. With that said, if you have a 1Password membership, you might consider 1Password X. Rather than prompting to save when you sign in, it only prompts to save when you use a Suggested Password. Otherwise, it's up to you whether to save or no so it can make getting the sort of experience you expect while locked a bit easier. You can learn about it here:

https://support.1password.com/getting-started-1password-x/

And, of course, if you have any additional questions (about 1Password X or otherwise), I'm more than happy to help. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.