Problems trying to change existing Passwords

I'm having a really hard time changing passwords for existing logins and I'm afraid I may not be smart enough to use 1password. I'm using the following environment:

Windows 10
Firefox 74.0.1
Browser Extension 4.7.5.90 with the desktop app version 7.4.63

I just went through a very frustrating experience trying to change a password for my credit union. I followed the directions in this video tutorial:

https://support.1password.com/change-website-password/

The change password process on my credit union goes through a series of screens where I need to enter a challenge question and my old password and then my new password twice. Using the procedure in the tutorial changed the password on the website correctly, but 1password did not update the entry in the 1password data base. I did not get prompted to update the login information as described in the tutorial at 1:19. Fortunately I had enough sense to save the password in notepad so that I could manually update the login credentials after the change. Had I not done that I would have been out of luck with a changed password at the credit union, but no record of what it was changed to.

I'm faced with the prospect of doing this for many, many web sites that have weak passwords already established. It looks like a lot of work.

What am I missing ? Please don't suggest 1passwordx since the version of that extension at the present time does not allow customization of password generation parameters on the "use suggested password" prompt. Plus, the process of finding and using the the password generator with 1passwordx seems convoluted and difficult.

Thank you for your help.

1Password Version: 4.7.5.90
Extension Version: 7.4.63
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @RTV0070!

Using the procedure in the tutorial changed the password on the website correctly, but 1password did not update the entry in the 1password data base.

Can you please open the Passwords category inside the 1Password app? If you used the 1Password browser generator to create your new password, it will have been stored there for future reference, exactly for those cases where the website does not trigger the 1Password prompt.

• RTV0070
    RTV0070
    Community Member

@ag_ana Once again thank you for your assistance. I do appreciate it.

I did notice one wrinkle about the Passwords category that prevented me from discovering this on my own. I have more than one vault. When I filter by a specific vault, the Password category does not show. It's possible that this behavior is "as designed" or if it's inadvertent. I don't know, but want to pass it on fyi. Here's a screen shot with a single vault filter:

When the filter is set to "All Vaults" the Password category does show:

The multiple vaults are left over from migrating from Keepass2 where I managed different login types by using different vaults. I will probably dump everything into my private vault to prevent this and other confusions that I've encountered from re-occurring.

Thank you.

• RTV0070
    RTV0070
    Community Member

Here's some additional information that I can pass on about this in my multiple password vault environment. When I updated the logins, the password entries got created in my private vault. This is confusing because the login entries themselves don't reside in the private vault.

Once again just fyi. The confusion I'm having should (I hope) go away when I dump everything into my private vault.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@RTV0070:

When I filter by a specific vault, the Password category does not show.

This happens when the specific vault you are looking at does not have any Password items inside it. 1Password hides empty categories for you to avoid clutter. When you switch to All Vaults, the Passwords category appears because you have at least one vault with at least one password item.

When I updated the logins, the password entries got created in my private vault.

Password entries will be created in the default vault. You can check what you default vault for saving is under the 1Password menu > Settings > Vaults > Vault for Saving dropdown menu. I think your current selection is set to the Private vault, and that's why generated passwords are being stored there.

• RTV0070
    RTV0070
    Community Member

Thank you for the information.

• On Ana's behalf, you are most welcome, @RTV0070. :+1: :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.