Need help using 1password

I am considering licensing 1Password and and dropping DataVault. All login items now converted (thanks to MRC's programs) and I am now resetting my passwords.

1. This is VERY TEDIOUS and prone to issues because no two sites are the same...been having lots of problems doing this. It is taking about 10 minutes per site and I have over 200. I think I will grow a beard! Have any tips?

2. One major problem is I keep getting multiple website entries within an item; e.g.website, website2, website3, etc. For my microsoft account login password I ended up with at least 4 websites because each time I saved the item after changing the login, it would ask me which one to change. I have no idea...obviously the place where you login, not the place where you change passwords. Then, when I logged in using 1Password, it would log me alright, but it would leave me on the password change page. I certainly don't want that. Am I doing some thing wrong?

3. Another one is Geico login. I have one login, but I have at least 6 gray key icons located below the main Geico item. What are they and why do I have them? Do I need them?

4. I am a Quicken user and use a complex password. I noticed some old posts from 2018 saying there is no auto-fill set up yet for applications like Quicken. However, since it is now 2020, I have to ask if they have been set up yet. I also need for some engineering programs I run. How can I use 1Password to login without copy/paste.

5. Is there a user manual somewhere I can use as a reference?

6. What is 1Password mini? I was beginning to think it was a new name for 1Password Extension, or another name for 1Password Extension on the Mac (I know nothing about Mac's) but then I saw some recent articles about it. So I don't know what is is, and whether I need it or not.

7. I wish there were some tutorials out there where Users show you how they do things (I found one good one, but he never went past the basics). In general I have found the 1Password tutorials and mini articles as too simple, or maybe my engineering mind is missing what is right in front of me. Is there a user manual somewhere I can use as a reference?

8. Is there someplace where the categories (Other than logins) are explained, and how to fill them in and how to use them? Secure Notes, Passwords (These seem to be the same or similar to some existing Logins), Identities (no idea what this means), credit cards, etc. Are there others that are not in the list on the user interface? I can guess at some of them. When they were created, the programmer had an idea how they would be used. What is the intent of each and how they can be used?

9. Each item has fields, such as name, password, website, note. These are obvious and the same as was in DataVault. However what about Section, Label, Tags, Submit, etc...what are they used for and how should I be coding items within them?

10. How to use 1Password inside of sites like Amazon, Walmart, etc, where they look for a PayPal name and password to make a payment for example?

11. Can I use 1Password to fill in name and address fields? How?

Thanks, and sorry for these simple question that may seem obvious to experienced 1password users. I have been pouring over this for over a week now and getting deeper into questions I can't find answers to online. I believe most of my questions have good answers, but I just can't find them.

I really want this to work for me, and especially want my wife to be able to use it too. My biggest concern is she will not and will stick with her pet passwords.

I hope I put this into the correct forum group.

1Password Version: 7.4.763
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: 10.0.19041
Sync Type: 1Password Cloud
Referrer: forum-search:quicken

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @break80!

1. This is VERY TEDIOUS and prone to issues because no two sites are the same...been having lots of problems doing this. It is taking about 10 minutes per site and I have over 200. I think I will grow a beard! Have any tips?

Where are you getting stuck exactly? It takes a little bit to update a website password, but it should not take 10 minutes per website.

In general, my recommendation would be not to do this all at the same time: set aside some time, and change the passwords a little bit at the time. If you try to go through all of them at the same time, you will most likely get tired of the process.

1. One major problem is I keep getting multiple website entries within an item; e.g.website, website2, website3, etc. For my microsoft account login password I ended up with at least 4 websites because each time I saved the item after changing the login, it would ask me which one to change. I have no idea...obviously the place where you login, not the place where you change passwords.

When it prompts you to update a login, 1Password should show you the name of the item, and the username related to that item, so to make it easier to understand which account entry you are modifying.

Then, when I logged in using 1Password, it would log me alright, but it would leave me on the password change page. I certainly don't want that. Am I doing some thing wrong?

Make sure that the website field inside this 1Password item does not point to the password change page. For example, if the website is 1Password.com, make sure that the website field only includes "https://1password.com", and nothing more.

1. Another one is Geico login. I have one login, but I have at least 6 gray key icons located below the main Geico item. What are they and why do I have them? Do I need them?

Every time you use the 1Password password generator, the generated password is stored in the Passwords category of the app, with a gray key icon. You probably generated 6 different passwords for your Geico login, which are now stored next to your main Geico item. Once you make sure that you can login to the website with the correct password, you can delete the other generated passwords.

1. I am a Quicken user and use a complex password. I noticed some old posts from 2018 saying there is no auto-fill set up yet for applications like Quicken. However, since it is now 2020, I have to ask if they have been set up yet. I also need for some engineering programs I run. How can I use 1Password to login without copy/paste.

I think that the quickest way to do this is by using drag and drop from 1Password to these apps.

1. Is there a user manual somewhere I can use as a reference?

Yes, you can find all of our tutorials and information on our support website.

1. What is 1Password mini? I was beginning to think it was a new name for 1Password Extension, or another name for 1Password Extension on the Mac (I know nothing about Mac's) but then I saw some recent articles about it. So I don't know what is is, and whether I need it or not.

1Password mini is the 1Password icon running in your Mac menu bar at the top of your screen, or in your Windows task bar on the bottom right of your screen. It's a smaller version of the main 1Password desktop app, when you need some information quickly.

1. I wish there were some tutorials out there where Users show you how they do things (I found one good one, but he never went past the basics). In general I have found the 1Password tutorials and mini articles as too simple, or maybe my engineering mind is missing what is right in front of me. Is there a user manual somewhere I can use as a reference?

Please see the answer to question 5.

1. Is there someplace where the categories (Other than logins) are explained, and how to fill them in and how to use them? Secure Notes, Passwords (These seem to be the same or similar to some existing Logins), Identities (no idea what this means), credit cards, etc. Are there others that are not in the list on the user interface? I can guess at some of them. When they were created, the programmer had an idea how they would be used. What is the intent of each and how they can be used?

We do not offer such a thing because the way you store data inside 1Password will vary from user to user, and different people will use different categories. So this is something where you are free to experiment, until you find the structure that works best for you. There is no correct way, I think.

A Password is a Login without a username (such as alarm codes, bike locks, trolley locks, encryption keys etc.)

Identities are used to fill your personal information on websites, such as name and surname, address etc. They can be useful when you want to register to a website that asks you for some information before creating an account, or during online shopping orders.

1. Each item has fields, such as name, password, website, note. These are obvious and the same as was in DataVault. However what about Section, Label, Tags, Submit, etc...what are they used for and how should I be coding items within them?

Similar to categories, you can use these in the way you prefer. This article should help clarify all of the options you have:

Customize your 1Password items

1. How to use 1Password inside of sites like Amazon, Walmart, etc, where they look for a PayPal name and password to make a payment for example?

You can use the 1Password browser extension for this as usual: once the PayPal page is loaded, 1Password will recognize it and allow you to fill your PayPal login information on the page.

1. Can I use 1Password to fill in name and address fields? How?

With an Identity item (see answer 8).

• jmjm
    jmjm
    Community Member

@ag_ana can I say excellent reply (IMO)?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you @jmjm, that is very nice of you :)

• jmjm
    jmjm
    Community Member
    edited April 2020

I say this as support will of course answers questions from individuals but again of course many others benefit from these same excellent replies.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Ana you are very welcome @jmjm!

Feel free to reach out to us anytime, we are always ready to help you with 1Password and answer all of your questions. :)

Stay safe,
    Greg

• break80
    break80
    Community Member

Dear @ag_ana,

Your answers have been extremely helpful to me personally. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Here are a few more followup questions to your responses:

1. This is great…thank you. I did NOT realize I could edit the website field manually thus ensuring 1Password goes to the page I want it to go to. I used to do that in DataVault and don't know why I did not realize that here. I searched for hours to find something written about this subject of multiple website entries and could find nothing. Where is this documented for Windows 10 please?

2. Yes, you are correct that I generated multiple passwords as part of my learning process on this site. Now that I know what these are, why they are there, and that I can delete them, I can see it could be helpful to have this password trail. I did not pay attention to them as I was always testing the password after putting in into 1Password, so in my case I did not need them, and super glad to know deleting them won’t mess up 1Password database. I also searched this topic for hours to find something written about these and found nothing. Where is this documented for Windows 10 please?

3. Oh, wow…I am very familiar with the use of the system tray but never occurred to me there would be a 1Password item. Thanks you for this. I have already begun to use it. However, I searched everywhere I could to find anything identifying "1Password mini" but found only discussions about using it not installing it. This makes me think that "mini" might be a term familiar to MAC users...Is this true? If anyone said to look in the system tray I would have found it immediately. Where is this system tray feature documented for Windows 10 please?

4. Thanks…that explanation is helpful. I will test if it works for my places where other information is requested on the sites. Also, that explanation showed me two methods of using 1Password. I am using the app but it implied you can use 1Password.com to get to 1Password, which I did not explicitly know about. Is it linked to my account? I will try and see if it is sync'd.

Thanks again.

P.S. I searched unsuccessfully on this site and on the web for a way to elegantly include your response as you did with my response. Can you point me to where this is documented?

@break80

• break80
    break80
    Community Member

Finally moving along. Been on this all day long. Just now I created my Amazon login by following the directions from your help article "Sign in to websites with username and password split across multiple pages." I did it twice with the same behavior, so I am checking if this is the correct behavior.

When I click the 1Password item for Amazon, Chrome navigates to the site, adds my username, then waits. I click continue, then it waits. I click the 1Password item for Amazon and Chrome enters the password and logs me in.

My expectation was that just one click would log me into Amazon. Am I wrong?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@break80 - Good to hear the converter was helpful!

Enjoy 1Password!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@break80:

This is great…thank you. I did NOT realize I could edit the website field manually thus ensuring 1Password goes to the page I want it to go to. I used to do that in DataVault and don't know why I did not realize that here. I searched for hours to find something written about this subject of multiple website entries and could find nothing. Where is this documented for Windows 10 please?

You are welcome! :+1:

The article that most closely applies here is this one:

Customize your 1Password items

Since additional website fields are custom fields.

Yes, you are correct that I generated multiple passwords as part of my learning process on this site. Now that I know what these are, why they are there, and that I can delete them, I can see it could be helpful to have this password trail. I did not pay attention to them as I was always testing the password after putting in into 1Password, so in my case I did not need them, and super glad to know deleting them won’t mess up 1Password database. I also searched this topic for hours to find something written about these and found nothing. Where is this documented for Windows 10 please?

We don't have a specific article about this. The closest one is this one:

If you used the password generator and can’t find the password to sign in

Which explains that generated passwords are stored in the Passwords category.

We don't have a support article for every question, or otherwise the support website will be so full of documentation that it would be very difficult to find answers to the most asked questions. If you need information that you cannot find in the documentation, you are free to reach out to us in the forum anytime.

Oh, wow…I am very familiar with the use of the system tray but never occurred to me there would be a 1Password item. Thanks you for this. I have already begun to use it. However, I searched everywhere I could to find anything identifying "1Password mini" but found only discussions about using it not installing it. This makes me think that "mini" might be a term familiar to MAC users...Is this true? If anyone said to look in the system tray I would have found it immediately. Where is this system tray feature documented for Windows 10 please?

I don't think it makes a difference what operating system you use. However, we have a support page specifically on 1Password mini for Windows, which you can reach by simply typing "1Password mini" in the search bar of our support page:

Get to know 1Password mini on your Windows PC

P.S. I searched unsuccessfully on this site and on the web for a way to elegantly include your response as you did with my response. Can you point me to where this is documented?

You can use the Quote command, right above the area where you write your message here in the forum:

My expectation was that just one click would log me into Amazon. Am I wrong?

If the website decided to break the login process into multiple pages, you will have to call 1Password multiple times, once per page. If the website has the whole login form on a single page, you only need to use 1Password once to login :)

• break80
    break80
    Community Member

@MrC , yes it worked great considering that many of my DataVault items were NOT using the DataVault standard names and standard order because of changes I made to them. Had I stuck with the DataVault order and forms, I am guessing your conversion output would have been 100% perfect. But, no worries because I found the misunderstood data in the Notes field of 1Password. So nothing was lost in conversion. From there it is easy to manually move them into the correct 1Password fields.

Actually the blessing is that many of my login's are from years ago and I no longer use those sites, so this gave me a chance to clean up my database of items. That's a good thing.

Thanks again.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@break80

You're welcome.

The converter has a definitions table that can be customized to accommodate new / redefined fields and categories. This is useful for someone who has many records of certain types that they'd like handled up front (rather than having to manage the edits individually in 1Password). But its one of those things that you can't know until you try it, and then have to make the decision about how much work to invest on the converter customization end, vs. within 1Password.

Enjoy 1Password!

• break80
    break80
    Community Member

This morning I encountered another problem with 1Password.

I booted up Windows and then Chrome. I clicked the 1Password extension and nothing happened. I did that several times. Frustrated by now because I expected the extension to request my password..

So I opened 1password app, typed in my master password, and it opened correctly. (By the way 1Password is currently set to lock after 20 minutes)

I went back to Chrome and still the extension would not open.

I went to the Chrome extensions page, found 1password, disabled, then enabled it. I went back to Chrome and this time the extension DID start but it asked me for my master password...huh? I already input my master password in and now I am being asked to do it again. Is that normal?

I opened my.1password account online and clicked help&support. The opened the 1password.com page (https://support.1password.com/category/accounts/) opened. However, unbelievably I was not signed in. I clicked Sign-In button and once again it requested me to enter my master password yet again.

If you are counting that 3 times I had to enter my very long, hard to type, hard to remember master password.

Personally, I can handle this behavior for a while until I figure out how to stop it. But I can tell you my other family members could not accept this behavior.

Some background is that I have been happily using MS Edge since W10 came out, but felt compelled to switch to Chrome (latest version) because 1Password does not yet have an extension for MS Edge. I know there is a full implementation for Chrome-based MS Edge, but to me that seemed like a typical MS band-aid until they get their act together (Actually I DID install Chrome-based Edge but found it to be very different from Edge...So obviously if I had to install and learn a new browser my thinking is I might as well install chrome and get the learning curve over with).

With DataVault I did not have any issues whatsoever, but of course. So far I like 1Password and the Chrome extension is critical in my mind.

I have a few weeks left on my license before I am charged. I need to get this

So tell me, I was under the impression entering my password just once would cover all applications and all websites on this computer. It that wrong? Can you recommend how to manage this better? Is the behavior I noticed correct, namely that the Chrome and app are completely separate and each requires it own master password login? Is there a different browser to use that works better with 1Password?

• I hate these kind of answers, but I'm going to have to give you one of them in this case, @break80 – it depends.

Starting with the Chrome extension, we have two versions available. One called 1Password Extension (desktop app required and the other called 1Password X. The former will unlock alongside your desktop app. The latter is its own thing that only exists in your browser and will unlock separately. Now which you choose really depends on how you use 1Password. If you work outside your browser frequently, you'll probably want a desktop app and will choose the extension that integrates with your desktop app. If you're mostly using 1Password for filling in your browser, 1Password X may be all you need. If you're like me and prefer how 1Password X fills, but don't want to give up your desktop app, you might use 1Password X alongside the desktop app despite having to unlock more. It's totally up to you, but whatever you choose, make sure you've got the right one installed in Chrome for your needs and that the other has been removed.

Now when you went to the support site, you actually didn't have to sign in. The support site is open to everyone and you can freely browse without signing in. If you do want to sign in on the web, then yes, you'll need your Master Password. The web app is separate from your desktop app. You can almost think about it as its own 1Password client, but it's not one most of us need terribly often. It's great for managing things like access to vaults for your family or billing, but most of your day to day will likely happen in a combination of the desktop app and the browser extension. The web app is more like an admin console you'll need on occasion for specific stuff, but not on any regular basis. It sounds like you're the IT person for your family, so you'll likely need it from time to time, but chances are your family will be able to avoid it almost entirely.

Finally, a quick word on Edge. While Microsoft certainly does pivot quite a bit, our understanding is that the current Edge is being deprecated in favor on the new Chromium version. We did, actually, have an extension for what Microsoft is now calling Edge Legacy, but it didn't work well with the latest 1Password architecture so we chose to deprecate it a bit early and focus on the new Edge moving forward. New Edge is different, but it actually got this Brave gal using Edge for a thing or two and has an Edge flavor to it still for sure. If you were a fan of the original, I'd encourage you to give the new one some time. I didn't end up switching myself, but Microsoft's implementation of Progressive Web Apps is pretty slick so I do make pretty regular use of it for specific tasks. It may be they pivot back, only time will tell, but it's looking more and more like UWP (the foundation Edge Legacy was built on) is getting less focus generally and that Microsoft will be looking to different technologies for the future.

• break80
    break80
    Community Member

@bundtkate, > One called 1Password Extension (desktop app required and the other called 1Password X. The former will unlock alongside your desktop app. > I use the extension and it has opened with one master password login. I do not want 1px because don't want to log in twice.

You didn't comment on my first 2 logins. Has Chrome been a problem like this? I should not have to reset the extension every time I start up my computer.

The web app is separate from your desktop app. > This has been a source of confusion to me. The my.password.com site seems to be my main place to manage vaults, family members, billing, etc. And to get the apps. So I thought I NEEDED this one. Are you saying I really can get to all that from the app? I also of course have the app, and the 1p mini also automatically installed. I am currently on the beta as of a few hours ago. Do I need a beta for the Chrome extension too? So now I think I understand why all the logins because I opened the my.1password site AND my app. That's 2. And the 3rd was for Chrome extension which seemed to have a glitch.

Microsoft's implementation of Progressive Web Apps is pretty slick so I do make pretty regular use of it for specific tasks.> What is this?

• You didn't comment on my first 2 logins. Has Chrome been a problem like this? I should not have to reset the extension every time I start up my computer.

I covered that along with the desktop app, @break80. If you're using the companion extensions (as it seems you are), you should only have to unlock once. It sounds like you're correct and there was some hiccup with the extension being disabled that likely lead to some misbehavior, but the 1Password extension has no way to disable itself. If you happened to install 1Password X on accident, 1Password X would disable the companion extension to avoid any confusion from having two, but it doesn't sound like you did that and the issue is more likely to be external. Chrome is the single most popular browser in the world and about the only consistent case of extensions getting disabled I've seen is when Chrome has a pending update. It will sometimes disable extensions in that scenario, but completing the update will get them up and running again.

The my.password.com site seems to be my main place to manage vaults, family members, billing, etc. And to get the apps. So I thought I NEEDED this one. Are you saying I really can get to all that from the app?

Those are the cases where you will need the web app, but the work you do there tends to be front loaded. When you first start using 1Password, you'll set up your vaults, invite family members, set up billing, etc. After you've done that, you're not likely to need the web app half as much. You might update billing once in a blue moon, decide to add a new vault, or have a new family member decide they want to join the party, but in my experience most folks do this sort of thing rarely. Early on, it definitely feels like you need the web app a ton, but I'd hazard a guess that once you've got things set up to your liking, you'll find you use the web app only rarely.

As for progressive web apps, that's more of an aside about the new Edge than anything at all to do with 1Password. Edge has this thing where you can install web pages as progressive web apps. What this does is add an icon to your task bar for that site and allow you to open it just like an app. It can help with the performance of resource heavy websites so I've found myself using it a ton for some of our work tools that tend to get bogged down when running in a normal browser tab. Nothing to do with 1Password specifically, just a cool feature of the new Edge I've found I really enjoy. :chuffed:

• break80
    break80
    Community Member

@bundtkate, Thanks very much for your thoughtful comments. I do appreciate it. My learning curve is flattening, just like the COVID-19 curve in NY/NJ, thanks to your staff and MrC. :)

I recently heard about Windows Hello and what it can do. Since I do prefer Edge over Chrome I may eventually try to use Windows Hello along with 1PX in new Chrome-based Edge with 1P desktop app.

Finally, I understand when you announce a new build, even a Beta build, it can be installed immediately. Can I assume new build (and Beta build) corrections and improvements will NOT be available in the Chrome 1P extension and Chrome/Edge 1PX programs until Google and Microsoft develop their own new build? That being the case, typically, how far behind are the Google and Edge program improvements?

• First off, @break80, Hello only works with the companion app extension – the one you're using now. It won't work with 1Password X as yet.

As for updates and improvements, that's a bit more complicated. Then companion extension actually doesn't do much on its own. Most of the heavy lifting is done by the desktop app so 99% of the time, a desktop app update will come with any extension-related updates you might need. It even handles the hard part of saving/filing as the "brain" as we call it is what decides what data needs to be filled where. The extension doesn't need a ton of updates because it's job of serving as a go between for app and browser doesn't change a ton, but on the occasion it does need an update itself, it will be pushed separately from the app updates and through each individual extension store. This does mean there's an approval process so a bit of a delay between us pressing the update button and the update being available to you which can vary based on how much the folks doing the approval have on their plates, but this is generally not a huge deal as the extension and app rarely need to be updating simultaneously.

• Oh, dang it, and I got distracted writing my answer and didn't even chuckle at your curve flattening comment! It did make me laugh and that sort of stuff is sorely needed during these times. It's also important to celebrate when things are headed in the right direction. I know we're probably still a ways from normal and I'm not even sure the curve is behaving itself yet here in Texas, but with as little as we have to celebrate these days, its important to celebrate what we can no matter how small. :chuffed:

• break80
    break80
    Community Member

Thanks, for your comments on 1P. I learned facial recognition won't work on my poor little Surface Pro 3 to WH is a non starter for me at least.

The delay is reasonable.

I also live in Texas, Houston area actually. Things are not as bad here as they are up north in NY/NJ as you know, where lives are dropping like files. Its very very sad. I just keep praying for all to get through this unscathed. I will be running out of gloves and masks soon.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Sorry to hear about face recognition @break80, and please stay safe.

• break80
    break80
    Community Member

@ag_ana,

I am catching up finally. Now that I got all my data converted and working for most logins, I am trying to learn how to use 1Password to drag/drop of passwords to application login screens.

Back on April 6 you wrote "I think that the quickest way to do this is by using drag and drop from 1Password to these apps" with regard to best way to add a password to Quicken App. I tried this unsuccessfully but maybe doing something wrong so will recount my steps here:
    1. Open Quicken and see password entry window.
    2. Open 1Password but it does not recognize I am logging into Quicken.
    3. Type Quicken into the 1Password search field.
    4. Select the correct Quicken record and try to drag onto the Quicken screen but won't drag.
    5. Copy the password and paste to open Quicken

While 5 worked, that is not what I understood were your direction. I expected 4 to work. I do like the drag/Drop idea...what am I doing wrong?

break80

• You need to drag individual fields to the proper fields in the app, @break80. Without the help of the extension, 1Password isn't able to read what the app is asking for so it doesn't know what goes where like it does in your browser. If you want to use the main app:

1. Open Quicken and navigate to the sign-in form.
    2. Press Ctrl + Shift + \ to open the main 1Password app and search for your Quicken Login.
    3. Drag the text in the username or password field in your item details to the proper field in Quicken.

You can do this with mini as well:

1. Open Quicken and navigate to the sign-in form.
    2. Press Ctrl + Alt + \ and search for your Quicken Loging.
    3. Right-click that Login and drag the username or password label to the proper field in Quicken.

Personally, I prefer using the main app because it's fewer clicks and I like to avoid using my mouse as much as possible, but on a smaller screen, mini might be the better bet. 👍

• break80
    break80
    Community Member

@bundtkate,

Thanks for this. It worked using 1Password App!! I must have been using 1Password X Extension for the Drag/Drop when I tried and failed. I tried using both and it still failed using 1PX. I can always use copy/paste in 1PX, but is there a trick to get drag/drop to work in 1PX?

• These are different implementations, @break80, so it's probably the case that 1Password X's drag and drop just doesn't work in Quicken. Living exclusively in your browser makes some things a lot easier for 1Password X. For example, if you are behind a particularly aggressive firewall, chances are it will be able to sync happily in spite of that because firewalls are generally less restrictive in browsers. It also has its limitations, though, as it can't as easily use resources from Windows to help it accomplish tasks without being installed directly. If you want a smaller interface than the main app when filling with drag and drop, I'd suggest using mini as I described above. Ctrl + Alt + \ will still summon the desktop app's mini, even with 1Password X installed, since mini isn't technically tied to your browser so drag and drop from there should work anywhere the desktop app does. :+1:

• break80
    break80
    Community Member

@bundtkate,
    I understand what you are saying. Ctrl-Alt-\ is my ticket to run application programs ! That answer is what I was looking for since I do like 1Password X but also have several apps that simply require passwords to kick off, and of course I would like to use a complex one to take advantage of 1Password capability.

If anyone has a different way of running applications, I would love to hear them.

Also would like to know where people store such passwords, living of course within the confines of a fixed set of categories. As far as I know, there is no category for applications per se within 1Password, is there?

Thanks very much.

break80

• I'd generally store them as Logins, @break80. Not only do they usually have the common components of a Login – username and password – most have an available web interface too. Might be you don't want to use the web, but it can be handy to have an item type set up for normal filling just in case and a Login fits that bill well. :+1:

• break80
    break80
    Community Member

@bundtkate,

Take for example the Quicken application program on my computer. First you open Quicken. then it waits for the password. Next I have to open 1Password App and type in the master password (even though the 1Password X is already unlocked) because it has expired since my last use of the computer app. Then type Quicken in the 1Password search box because it has not detected the Quicken app. Then find the correct Quicken item, e.g. the program, not the community login or support login which have different passwords. Then copy/paste the password to start Quicken.

Then when you want to download your transactions in Quicken, you click the update button where the Master Password is immediately requested to gain access to the Quicken vault of passwords. Then Quicken auto-opens through a secure channel all accounts, downloads all relevant bank records, and closes all banks.

Lots of passwords to remember, but I think you get the picture. My point is there are at least 4 different passwords and 2 logins required to use Quicken so it gets confusing.

What I described above is typical of all apps that require a password to run (except for the internal master password requirement of Quicken.) One solution is to set up the same password for all 4 places. Then, once in the paste buffer, it can be repasted as necessary. However, that method is not in the spirit of having different passwords for security.

It would be great of 1Password could detect the computer program app has been opened (much like it detects when a website is opened) and then either fill my paste buffer with the password or simply fill in the password to kick off the program. In fact when I started looking at 1Password, I thought it did this. Naive of me of course. Nevertheless, I think it would be a natural challenge for AgileBits to tackle.

Do you foresee 1Password ever having such capability as described above?

Cheers! and sorry for the long winded posting

break80

• I certainly hope it will one day, @break80, but the first thing that would need to happen is for us to have a way for apps to provide that feedback to us about what they are. On Mac, we have the beginning of something that can sometimes allow that. You'll have to forgive my vagueness because Mac isn't my forte, but I believe how it works is that apps can give themselves an identifier that lets the system know what they are and the system is able to share that info with 1Password. So, with apps that have done this, 1Password for Mac can detect what app is at front, associated that with the app's web domain, and suggest the proper Login. I am not certain myself how widely this has been adopted and my instinct says it's still only a handful of apps that do this, but it's a step along the road. Conversely, I don't believe Windows has any such thing. There's no standardized way for 1Password to know what window is at front and thus know what Login you likely need. Computers are really smart in some ways, but they really do need a lot of help in others. They can't see the way we do, for example, so if there is visual information that's not in the code, the computer is lost even when the task is trivial for us.

Now, I don't want to get too down on Windows about this. After all, this technology generally is pretty new. Android was the first to provide a unified framework for filling and I don't think it's been more than a year or so since that happened. iOS followed a while after with macOS seemingly starting to get on board too more recently, but it's still very early in that game and no one has this fully figured out yet. I'm sure Microsoft has it in mind too and, while I can't speak for them of course, I'd wager we'll probably get some goodies from them at some point down the line and we will be thrilled to have 1Password take advantage as soon as it's available. :chuffed:

• break80
    break80
    Community Member

@bundtkate ,Thanks for your thoughtful comments. I hope so too. Break80

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of bundtkate, you are welcome @break80!

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.