Duplicate Passwords

OK, so I'm guilty. I admit that I have a number of sites where I use the same password. Well actually I have a small number of passwords that I have used on more than one site. I'm thinking of reforming. I understand that Watchtower will list sites with duplicate passwords. What I'm looking for is a way to select only those sites where I have used a specific duplicated password. Is that possible?

1Password Version: 7.3.712
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: W10 Pro
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Yulka1355
    Yulka1355
    Community Member

Hi @Andrew42,

If I understand correctly, you are looking for a way to see the duplicated logins in your sidebar?
    Is that how it's displayed in your app?

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

Yes. But I want to be able to select only those records that use a specific password. To put it differently I would like to search my vault by password.

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

I should add that, of course, what I am trying to do is completely counter-intuitive to the whole concept of 1P!!

• Yulka1355
    Yulka1355
    Community Member
    edited September 2019

Yes. But I want to be able to select only those records that use a specific password. To put it differently I would like to search my vault by password.

If I understood correctly your question; you can. I just checked it by inserting the password into the Search Private and it presented me the items that have the same password.

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

Thank you. You are absolutely right. It clearly only searches on a defined string of characters, like the first three or five for example. But it certainly gives me somewhere to start. Thanks again.

• Search should only return results that include that exact string, @Andrew42. It may include those with some extra stuff at the beginning or end – for example, a search for word12 would include results that had password12 and word1234 – but it shouldn't include anything that doesn't at least have the string you're searching in the item's details somewhere. It may well be that's exactly what you're seeing, but just in case. :+1:

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

Thanks @Bundkate. I am slowly working through my list. I have come across a strange issue with Watchtower which maybe you can explain. Each time I change to an unique password a website where I had previously a password which is the same as for another website, the number of sites in the Watchtower "Reused Passwords" increases by one. Why would that be? Surely it should decrease by one. I must be missing something.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Andrew42,

When you generate a password with the help of a password generator in 1Password extension, it is automatically saved as an item in the Passwords category in your vault. Please check that category on your side and tell us if you see your new passwords there.

If you saved all of your needed passwords as Logins, it is safe to delete the passwords in Passwords category. They won't be shown in Watchtower after that.

In the future, we want to add an automatic cleanup function to remove any redundant password items after you create a new Login item with the same website/password combination as the password item.

Let me know if my hunch is correct here. Thank you! :+1:

++
    Greg

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

Bingo. That is exactly what is was. Thank you.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Andrew42, great news! :) I am glad to hear that my hunch was correct.

Let us know if there is anything else we can help you with. Thank you!

++
    Greg

• drohr
    drohr
    Community Member

Great explanation on this. I am using some Covid time to cleaning up duplicates (yes I am guilty) but my question is about the numbers of reused passwords. I have a private vault that I started with and then when I decided to use a family membership I developed a shared vault that my wife and I share. I copied many of the items from the private vault to our shared vault so my wife would also have access. This has become our default fault for saving items and works great. My first question is will the reused password count include both vaults. In other words if I did an original entry in the private vault and then copied it into my shared vault will watchtower show two reused passwords?

Second question is about the use of the two vaults. Is there really any reason to have items in both vaults? I guess I am looking for best practices as I am still discovering new ways to use 1PW everyday. Love it

• I'm going to address your second question first, @drohr, because I think it will all but make your first moot. There is no reason to have items in both vaults. You have access to both your private vault and your shared vault so as long as the item you need is in one or the other, you're all set. The only thing you gain by having it in both is the possibility for confusion or misdirected updates. In addition, because Watchtower will flag those copies as reused passwords, you also get some extra chiding from it by having the extra. As you're tidying things up and sharing what needs to be shared, I'd suggest using the move option instead. That will automatically trash the copy in your personal vault after copying it to your shared vault so you don't have to worry about cleaning up after, beyond emptying the trash. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.