1Password does not save login for spectator.co.uk

Options

I can't get 1Password to save the login details for the spectator.co.uk subscription website using the latest version of Firefox. Rather than username and password it asks for:

• Subscriber number - an eight-digit numeric
  • Surname or Postcode - a text field

I have been able to manually save logins for other sites but can't seem to do it for this one. Any suggestions?

1Password Version: 7.4.763
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro 1909 18363.720
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2020
    Options

Hey @magendo ,

The issue here is simple - this is not a login form. There are no usernames or password fields on the page, these are just two random text fields and 1Password doesn't understand what you want it to do with them :)

You can manually create these fields in the login you saved manually though. You will have to copy the fields names from the page's html. I went ahead and did that for you, so here's what you need to do:
    1. Open the 1Password desktop app and locate the login you saved for this website.
    2. Click on "Edit" to enter edit mode.
    3. Under the website's URL there is an empty section with a "Label" and a "new field" boxes that you can fill. Paste this into the "Label" field: ctl00$ctl00$ctl00$ctl00$PageContentPlaceHolder$PageContentPlaceHolder$MainContentPlaceholder$SubscriberNumber - Why did they name the field like that? I don't know. :chuffed:
    4. In the "new field" box, enter your actual subscriber number.
    5. A new "Label" field will show up below. Paste this into it: ctl00$ctl00$ctl00$ctl00$PageContentPlaceHolder$PageContentPlaceHolder$MainContentPlaceholder$Password
    6. In the "new field" box under it, input your actual surname or postcode.
    7. Click on "Save" and close 1Password. Go to the website and try to autofill now.

• magendo
    magendo
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Yaron

Though the Spectator subscription web page does not specifically request a username and password i would argue that it is a login form. It just uses different terms to allow a subscriber to enter credentials. However, I suppose that is a matter of semantics.

Anyway, I have followed your instructions and put them to the test. They work a treat, and will no doubt be helpful if I come across similarly obtuse login forms in the future.

Thanks

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @magendo ,

While this page is indeed made to allow users to access their account, it is not a login form per say (from a technical standpoint). It's like having a whole in your house and saying it is a door because people can get in :chuffed:

In any case, I'm very glad my suggestion worked for you and you are able to autofill your way into this website. Let me know if there's anything else I can try and help you with. I'd be happy to help.

This discussion has been closed.