Windows Hello when connected through RDP

As many others I'm working from home at the moment but have my work laptop at the office and connect to it through RDP. I've got Windows Hello activated with a PIN code on the work laptop and have no issues with it as long as I'm at the office. As far as I know RDP does support Windows Hello for login, but there is some work that need to be done to get it to work and we haven't implemented it (yet) so when I connect to the laptop I'm using my username and password.

My issue is that once I'm logged in to the laptop I can't use Windows Hello to unlock 1Password, instead I have to use the master password. I went through the checklist here but none of those points apply. Unlocking 1Password with the master password and then locking/unlocking again doesn't bring up the Windows Hello dialog either.

My guess is that since I haven't unlocked/logged in to the computer with Windows Hello, then 1Password can't use Windows Hello either. Can you confirm this or is there something else I could try?

1Password Version: 7.4.763
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro 1909 (18363.720)
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• It sounds like Hello isn't working at all through RDP for y'all, @Backspaze, is that correct? If you can't use Hello to unlock your computer (yet), then you won't be able to use it to unlock 1Password. We don't do anything fancy with Hello, just call Windows' API for allowing its use in other applications. It relies on the same framework unlocking your computer with Hello does so having it working in general will be a prerequisite for using it to unlock 1Password.

• Backspaze
    Backspaze
    Community Member

Ok, so my assumption was correct. Thanks for confirming!

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Backspaze,

On behalf of Kate you are very welcome! Hopefully, you will be able to enable Windows Hello on your computer soon. :)

Let us know if there is anything else we can help you with. Thanks!

++
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.