Moving items between vaults...

ShadowDad
ShadowDad
Community Member

maybe there is an easy way to move items between vaults but this is not obvious. i am moving from individual to families. i have >500 items and would like to easily move common items into the shared folder.

1: it would be best if each item had a dropdown associated with it that said which vault it goes in

2: less desirable would be on the edit line (where you can delete and item) have the same drop down, but this would make each move a two step process which is always less desirable

1Password Version: Family
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    edited September 2017

Hey there @ShadowDad :)
    There is, indeed, a way to move items between vaults. All that is required is to right click on item or items that you want to move and then go to the "Share" menu (on a mac) or the "Move" menu (on Windows) and then choose which vault you wish to move the items to.

You can also look on this page under the "To move items to the Shared vault in the apps" section to find instructions on moving items to the shared vault on any platform.

Give that a shot and let me know how it goes. I'm here if you run into issues. :)

• Hey @ShadowDad! It's great to hear you're getting ready to share 1Password with your family. :) Corey_C shared our main support article on moving items between vaults, and that's really all you'll need. He also mentioned this fantastic article on using 1Password Families to share passwords and other items with your family in the Shared vault:

Share passwords with your family

Check it out, and let us know if you have some other questions!

• jlclark26
    jlclark26
    Community Member

I have read the "Share Passwords with your family" article. I am using a Mac and Chrome browser. I do not see the "share" menu when I right click an item. The Command A (select all) feature does not work. The only way I can move an item from my Private Vault to a shared vault is by going into each item individually and selecting Move/Copy on the up arrow icon below the item title. Any help to make this a quicker process would be appreciated. I also cannot use the directions to share a vault. When I go into "Manage" on the Private Vault I get a message that this vault has no permissions to edit.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jlclark26: It sounds like you're trying to do this through the website. Right-clicking a web page just gives you browser options, since that's the app you're using. You should install the 1Password app — which you can use to do this and a lot more — from the Get the Apps page in your account:

https://start.1password.com/apps

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• jlclark26
    jlclark26
    Community Member

Thank you, brenty. Your answer fixed my problem.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of @brenty, you're quite welcome! Let us know if you need anything else. :)

• goshwhereisit
    goshwhereisit
    Community Member
    edited January 2020

I would really like to know how to do this with the web app - I can't install your app on a corporate machine.

Ah, I found it. The 'share' symbol that's an up-arrow next to the name of the entry - definitely not intuitive!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @goshwhereisit! You can move individual items between vaults in the 1Password web app by clicking the share icon (next to the Favorite ("star") icon just under the item name) and clicking Move/Copy. This can't be done in bulk, however. If you need to move items in bulk, you'll need a 1Password app.

• curusarn
    curusarn
    Community Member

The native apps are not available on Linux. Any plans for bringing the bulk move/copy features to the web app?

• @curusarn

We'd love to find a better answer. The CLI may be able to help in the mean time:

1Password command-line tool: Getting started

It would take some scripting though as there isn't a built-in command to do a bulk move. The folks over in the CLI Beta category may be able to point you in the right direction if you decide to try that:

CLI Beta — 1Password Forum

Ben

This discussion has been closed.