Version 4.6.2.626 Stand alone version

I purchased the stand alone version of 1Password currently at build 4.6.2.626 and have over 250 passwords in the vault.
This version of 1Password does not work on Windows 10 Pro 64bit with Chrome version 79.0.3945.79 official 64 bit, or Firefox 71.0 as I cannot install any extension. Your help file says I need to upgrade to 1Password version 7 to fix this problem, but that will require another licence at a cost to me.
What is the point of using your software if it will just stop working when you think you want more money for an upgrade. I'm very disappointed.
Is there any other fix for this problem please?

1Password Version: 4.6.2.626
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Sync Type: Local network

Comments

• While I totally agree paid upgrades stink, to say the least, @ChapmanRS, they are a part of using essentially any piece of software. We never set out to break old versions and won't stop you from using them as long as you'd like, but we also can't continue supporting and updating them indefinitely. Licenses for software are a one-time payment, but supporting, updating, fixing and even just maintaining the status quo for any piece of software has an ongoing cost. Neither 1Password nor any other company can survive on the income generated from a single version of that software indefinitely. If we tried to, it would stop working not because there was an upgrade, but because we've gone out of business and aren't here to fix it any longer.

The only option I can recommend is using a different browser. While it was our decision not to update 1Password 4 to work with the changes to Chrome, it wasn't a change we made that broke it and we would have to go back and update 1Password 4 again to get it working with Chrome moving forward (more on that here). Firefox, Opera, and Vivaldi all still work just fine with 1Password 4. Opera and Vivaldi are both Chromium-based as well, if access to other Chrome extensions is important to you. We also would never ask you to upgrade solely to use 1Password in Chrome again. 1Password 7 is an all new desktop app with new features and improvements far beyond Chrome. From the revamped Watchtower suite that now alerts you to passwords previously exposed in data breaches, sites where you can enable 2FA and haven't, and more to support for unlock with Windows Hello, to the option to fill in Microsoft Edge, there's a lot packed into 1Password 7 that we worked hard on to earn your upgrade. You can learn all about it here:

https://support.1password.com/explore/whats-new-windows/

And, of course, if you'd like to give it a try, it's free for 30 days with a 1Password membership (standalone licenses are available as well) and you can learn how to upgrade here:

https://support.1password.com/upgrade-windows/

• SteveWalczak
    SteveWalczak
    Community Member

Hello there,
    I'm considering upgrade from my Windows 7 to Windows 10.
    Please, confirm that I'd be able to install the 1Password 4.6.2.626 and it work fine as a independent app - only the Chrome extension would not work - correct?
    Also, I would like to be able to sync with my iPhone app as well using WLAN sync - that would work as well?
    Thanks.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @SteveWalczak,

That is correct: you are able to install 1Password 4 on Windows 10 computer and use WLAN Server sync there. However, please note that it will not work with 1Password extension for Chrome (see this post for more info). Moreover, you should be aware that 1Password 4 for Windows is a very old app and the technology it is built in is getting long in the tooth.

Is there a particular reason you do not want to update to 1Password 7? Please let us know. Thanks! :+1:

++
    Greg

• SteveWalczak
    SteveWalczak
    Community Member

Hi Greg thank you for your reply.
    I’m not really interested in membership license - standalone version is just fine for me - do you have that available in version 7?
    Now, since I am an existing client with an existing license, do you have a special pricing for upgrades versus purchase?

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @SteveWalczak,

It is still possible to purchase a standalone license for 1Password 7. Please send us an email to support+windows@agilebits.com and we will see what we can do for you. :) Thanks!

Stay safe,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.