Why is 1password CLI version 0.9.4 so slow when deleting items?

curusarn
curusarn
Community Member

Hi,

I just deleted 300 items from my 1password using official CLI and it took 11 minutes. That's more than 2 seconds per item!
Is this expected? I used the following code:

for data in $(op list items --vault $valut_uuid | jq -r '.[] | .uuid + "|" + .vaultUuid'); do
    item_uuid=$(echo "$data" | cut -d '|' -f 1)
    op delete item $item_uuid                 
done

1Password Version: 0.9.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:cli slow 0.9

Comments

• felix_1p
    felix_1p
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for your report @curusarn !
    I can run some tests on my side, but I assume the reason is that you are not passing --vault to op delete item. Unfortunately any item related operation is going to be "relatively" slow without specifying a vault.
    We are working on some changes to make this a bit better as long as the item is specified by UUID, but specifying a vault UUID is always going to be better.
    There is the overhead of the initial connection to server to fetch encryption keys for every command invocation. We are also thinking about different ways to improve that (e.g. an obvious solution would be to be able to pass multiple items to the command).

• curusarn
    curusarn
    Community Member

Thank you for your reply.

I have just tested deleting 218 items without and with specifying --vault. I can confirm that specifying --vault makes deleting over twice as fast.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of felix_1p, you are welcome! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.