Trying to login to my.1password.com - always get invalid email, secret key, or master password error

Options
Omen
Omen
Community Member

Hi,

I’m trying to login to my.1password.com with my iPad/Safari. I got the login info from my 1Password app on my iPad. No matter what I try, I always get a login error. I know the login info is correct, since I went into 1Password/Settings/1Password Accounts/Accounts to get all the info. I even typed in my email and master password manually (of course, I pasted my secret key 😁). I don’t know what to do next.

Thanks for your time.

Michael

1Password Version: 7.4.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 13.3.1
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Omen!

This typically happens when you enter the wrong Master Password. I see that you wrote that your sync method is Dropbox: if you have a Primary vault synced with Dropbox, the Master Password that you use to unlock the app will likely be different than the Master Password that you use to login to your 1Password.com account.

What does your Emergency Kit say in the Master Password field?

• Omen
    Omen
    Community Member
    Options

Hi ag_ana!

This is the first time I’m trying to access my vault on 1Password.com. I don’t have an emergency kit. I have 1Password for Windows and 1Password for iOS. According to the docs, I need MacOS, 1Password.com, or Android to generate it. I don’t have any of those.

I thought the master password on the website was my master password that I use to access my 1Password vault on my iOS devices.

Thanks!

• ag_tommy
    edited April 2020
    Options

@Omen

I thought the master password on the website was my master password that I use to access my 1Password vault on my iOS devices.

Edit: Below is a clarification of the Master Password behavior on the Mac app. The website Master Password will be whatever you set upon setting up your account.

It will be unless you had a prior Primary vault.

• If a Primary vault exists, then it unlocks using the Master Password for that vault, regardless of what, if any, memberships are signed in
    • If a single 1Password membership is signed in, then it unlocks using the Master Password for that membership account
    • If multiple memberships are signed in, then it unlocks using the Master Password of the first added membership

I’m trying to login to my.1password.com with my iPad/Safari.

This could be totally unrelated to your issue. Out of sheer curiosity for myself, are you using Key Flicks? I often find them so frustrating when trying to login. I find I have 100% improved results if I turn them off. I was curious if my technology (old brain) issue was the same one you were experiencing. I can't count the times I have had to retype my Master Password when logging into 1Password.com. As an experiment, can you try turning them off and see how things go?
    Settings > Keyboards

I am not saying its an Apple issue but one from my old noggin. ;)

• Omen
    Omen
    Community Member
    Options

Hi ag_tommy!

I’ve always had the same vault and master password since I first got 1Password several years ago. I only have an iPad/iPhone, so I can’t generate an emergency document. I did go into the app and got the login info about my personal vault.

Also, I don’t have any special keyboards, only the one that Apple provides.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Omen:

From what you are writing, it really sounds like you chose a different Master Password for your 1Password.com account compared to the one you have always used to unlock the app. You also wrote that it's the first time you tried to login online, so this seems to confirm it.

For your privacy and security, your Master Password is not stored anywhere, only you know it. This means that it is not possible to recover it unless you are a member of a Families or Business accounts. If you have an Individual account or a standalone license, I recommend reading this article to try and recover your Master Password.

If, on the other hand, you are part of a Families or Business account, you can ask another Admin to recover your account for you.

If you still cannot recover your Master Password, we can certainly delete your account so you can create a new one with a new Master Password you know.

• Omen
    Omen
    Community Member
    Options

Hi ag_ana!

I finally got into my.1password.com! But the way I got into my account is very strange 😕

If I use the embedded browser in 1Password to log into 1Password.com, the login works! However, if I open a safari browser window and do the same thing, it doesn’t work! Even if I cut/paste each entry into the safari window, I always get the login error!

I’m going to try chrome to see if I get the same results as with safari. I’ll write back with my results.

• Omen
    Omen
    Community Member
    Options

I think I know what might be going on. It seems like iOS is storing a different password than what 1Password is. Auto-fill is working incorrectly if it fills from iOS instead of 1Password. Chrome doesn’t have this problem, only safari.

Thanks for your help! I need to remember to always use the built-in browser or chrome to log into 1Password.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the update @Omen. I'd recommend double checking that your autofill settings are in line with what we have in our guide here, and then trying again:

Use 1Password to fill and save on your iPhone and iPad

Ben

This discussion has been closed.