Adding an item to Apple Watch

This discussion was created from comments split from: 1Password could use an instruction manual.

Comments

• tonyjg
    tonyjg
    Community Member

Have to agree with these comments. I have used 1Password for several years and keep putting off trying to get it to work effectively as it seems so difficult to find out how to do something. Case in point - I just tried to add a 1Password item to my Apple Watch by following the Getting Started item "Use 1Password on your Apple Watch". I followed the instructions up to "Tap Add to Apple Watch". This item is just not shown on my Apple Watch, and I have no idea where else to go to try to resolve the issue. There is no follow up that says - if the Add to Apple Watch link is not there what to do to show it.
    Probably this comment is in the wrong forum item to get a response but I'll see what happens before taking it further in some other way.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @tonyjg!

Have to agree with these comments. I have used 1Password for several years and keep putting off trying to get it to work effectively as it seems so difficult to find out how to do something.

Please feel free to reach out to us anytime, we are always happy to give you tips and suggestions :)

This item is just not shown on my Apple Watch

Is this happening with this specific item, or with every item that you try to add to the Apple Watch?

Also, do you even see the 1Password app on your Apple Watch, and are you able to open it?

There is no follow up that says - if the Add to Apple Watch link is not there what to do to show it.

Every one of our support articles ends with a Get Help section, with suggestions on how to address the most common issues. If you are still having troubles but what you are experiencing is not a common issue, you can always reach out to us for help :+1:

• tonyjg
    tonyjg
    Community Member

Hi ag_ana - appreciate your response.

I can see the 1Password app on my Apple Watch and sometimes get asked to authorise actions on my Watch - still trying to figure out what triggers this.

I looked deeper and found that the enable action is independent of the app being on the Watch. I enabled that and now I can see the link to Add to Apple Watch.

My error for not looking deep enough, but I think this is an example of the difficulty of using 1Password complained of in this Forum topic. If I've installed the Watch app on the phone and I need to take a specific action to send the password data to the Watch, why is it necessary to have to trigger a separate action in another area of the app to be able to load that data - it does not seem logical.

Also my Watch is giving me a message that I can add items from 1Password to my phone, and says this requires a passcode for the Apple Watch, but does not tell me that I need to enable the Watch through settings before I can do this.

I have a number of other queries but I'll leave them until I have reviewed the information given before raising - then I'll fine the right forum to add them

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@tonyjg:

I looked deeper and found that the enable action is independent of the app being on the Watch. I enabled that and now I can see the link to Add to Apple Watch.

That's great to hear :+1:

If I've installed the Watch app on the phone and I need to take a specific action to send the password data to the Watch, why is it necessary to have to trigger a separate action in another area of the app to be able to load that data - it does not seem logical.

I think it's because the Apple Watch app is not meant to be a complete 1Password client. Due to the very limited screen size, we think someone might not want hundreds or thousands of items stored there, so we chose to allow to select smaller number of items to make them quicker to reach. We decided that the best idea was to leave the choice to the users, so everyone could choose the items that are most important to them.

Also my Watch is giving me a message that I can add items from 1Password to my phone, and says this requires a passcode for the Apple Watch, but does not tell me that I need to enable the Watch through settings before I can do this.

I am not sure what you meant by "enable the Watch through settings" exactly, but in the Get Help section I have linked above, we added a section specifically on this:

If you see “Add items from 1Password on your phone. Requires Apple Watch device PIN” on your Apple Watch:

1. Open Settings on your Apple Watch.
    2. Tap Passcode, then tap Enable Passcode.
  • tonyjg
    tonyjg
    Community Member

At the risk of extending the conversation unnecessarily - there are 4 actions that need to taken to place 1Password items on the Watch
    1. Load 1Password on to the Watch by activating it in the Watch app
    2. Open settings on the iOS 1Password app and enable the Watch
    3. Ensure the Watch has a passcode applied
    4. Use the iOS 1Password app to load individual items onto the Watch.

The 1st is obvious and the 3rd and 4th are clear in that there is a message on the Watch telling you to do this.

The 2nd is not intuitive and will be missed unless you read the support article on the web site - my error was in glossing over the article as I already had the Watch loaded on the Watch and thought I had dealt with that. There is nothing else to tell you to go into the 1Password app, open the settings, select Apple Watch and activate it.

I believe this is an example of the issues that have been raised in this forum item

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

I see what you mean now @tonyjg, thank you for the feedback!

This discussion has been closed.